Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Looking for feedback/input for R/C airplanes

Back in the Spring I started a new hobby - R/C Rock Crawlers ..... I have now decided to try R/C airplanes (yes, it is late in the season) ..... I have already purchased an "Arrows Trekker" (it has a 4 foot wingspan) so if any Spyderlovers are into this please contact me. ..... I have a lot to learn ..... Thanks ... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-05-2022 at 08:16 PM. Reason: ' 's

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Mike, I also thought RC Planes sounded very enticing. I bought a “starter” type battery operated model, joined the local RC flying club as well as joined M.O.A.C. (Provides RC modelers with liability insurance (a requirement of the RC Flying Club), and proceeded on learning how to fly. I was enjoying getting out to fly. As I gained experience, I also learned about my limitations....while “in the air” I realized that while flying, my depth perception just was not “good enough”. I was not able to tell how close/far from a tree the plane was. My son is now the owner of a “beginner” RC model.

Just a “don’t jump in with both feet” until you discover your own limitations. Bruce

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    Mike, I also thought RC Planes sounded very enticing. I bought a “starter” type battery operated model, joined the local RC flying club as well as joined M.O.A.C. (Provides RC modelers with liability insurance (a requirement of the RC Flying Club), and proceeded on learning how to fly. I was enjoying getting out to fly. As I gained experience, I also learned about my limitations....while “in the air” I realized that while flying, my depth perception just was not “good enough”. I was not able to tell how close/far from a tree the plane was. My son is now the owner of a “beginner” RC model.

Just a “don’t jump in with both feet” until you discover your own limitations. Bruce
    Bruce thanks for responding ..... about " don't jump in with both feet " thing ..... So I have put in about 100 hrs. of research for the transition from R/C crawlers to Planes thing, and decided it was worth a try. Without actually having a plane to try this with, how could I make an honest assessment, of whether I would like it or not. Yes the plane I bought ( arrives on Tues. next week ) is a bit large, but in my research I decided bigger was better ( for a few reasons ). It is a learner plane, it can fly Very slow and still actually fly. .... So I'll see how this turns out ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I found that I really enjoyed building RC electric helicopters, but was not only poor at flying them (often attempting subterranean flight), I didn't really enjoy it. Sold all of the kit helis, batteries, transmitter and parts in one lot. Still have some micros, but hardly ever fly them.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Mike, bigger is better to a point. Easier to see, smoother reacting, easier to take off and land.

You can always start off with a flight simulator.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Mike, bigger is better to a point. Easier to see, smoother reacting, easier to take off and land.

You can always start off with a flight simulator.
    Yes I could have I suppose .... but I didn't .... This plane is my Christmas present to me .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Yes I could have I suppose .... but I didn't .... This plane is my Christmas present to me .... Mike
    Merry Christmas Mike. Yeah, you could have started with a simulator.......coulda, woulda, shoulda. You’re going to love the thrill of your first successful talk-off and landing. I know that I did. Just my dam...er...darn depth perception problem....not bad enough to affect my real world driving, but played havoc with my flying. I tried RC cars about 40 years ago and had the same problem.....ran into the concrete curbs trying for my driveway. Little .049 engines and the cars just exploded upon impact.

Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

Spyder Garage

A few years ago, I was the recipient of an RC helicopter for Christmas. Battery powered about 20 inches long and 6 inches high. I never did get the hang of flying it. Even had to get it off the neighbors' roof one time. It just wouldn't do what I tried to make it do. Took it back to the store thinking it was defective. Store clerk flew it around the store and landed it in the palm of his hand.
    That was the end of my RC adventure. Hoping your experience is better than mine
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Mike, in 2005 when we moved to our current home on 5 acres, in the farm pasture (50-100 acres, depending on your skill ) behind us was
    an RC airplane club (small 6-8 Seniors and friends) every weekend. Little planes to big planes, experts and newbees like me. I joined as quickly as possible, and with their help I was "flying "trainers", crashing a few, buying new models every week, crashing less, and building a fleet of 15 planes, with 16" to 48" wingspans ! even had my own logos for the planes. "Flying Tiger Squadron" - with a tiger in the logo too, was on every plane I flew.

Due to my work, and "every week" travel schedule, I could only fly on select weekends with the guys/ladies, but I accumulated a lifetime of memories, in the 11 years I did this. All captured in pictures I still look at when I want to think back in time.
    If you stay with this, I know you will enjoy it and learn a few things too.
    One important thing to remember is......EVERY plane has an experation date.......it just isn't printed on it !!
    And when this happens to you.......the next plane is waiting for you to decide "which one this time".....That's what hobby stores are for
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post
    Mike, in 2005 when we moved to our current home on 5 acres, in the farm pasture (50-100 acres, depending on your skill ) behind us was
    an RC airplane club (small 6-8 Seniors and friends) every weekend. Little planes to big planes, experts and newbees like me. I joined as quickly as possible, and with their help I was "flying "trainers", crashing a few, buying new models every week, crashing less, and building a fleet of 15 planes, with 16" to 48" wingspans ! even had my own logos for the planes. "Flying Tiger Squadron" - with a tiger in the logo too, was on every plane I flew.

Due to my work, and "every week" travel schedule, I could only fly on select weekends with the guys/ladies, but I accumulated a lifetime of memories, in the 11 years I did this. All captured in pictures I still look at when I want to think back in time.
    If you stay with this, I know you will enjoy it and learn a few things too.
    One important thing to remember is......EVERY plane has an experation date.......it just isn't printed on it !!
    And when this happens to you.......the next plane is waiting for you to decide "which one this time".....That's what hobby stores are for
    Thanks for your reply ..... I have been searching the Net ( ie. U-Tube ) for instructional vids on " How to operate the Controllers " and How to actually Fly using an R/C plane ..... So far I've learned a lot more than I expected to. The Plane I bought actually has a " learners / beginners " setting, that prevents any fancy flying. It will even adjust itself to counter-act any wind gusts. It sounds like this should be easier then, now that they have " electronic assist " controls .... sort like our Spyders. ..... I keep you posted on this adventure. ...... Later - Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 11-07-2022 at 12:42 AM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for your reply ..... I have been searching the Net ( ie. U-Tube ) for instructional vids on " How to operate the Controllers " and How to actually Fly using an R/C plane ..... So far I've learned a lot more than I expected to. The Plane I bought actually has a " learners / beginners " setting, that prevents any fancy flying. It will even adjust itself to counter-act any wind gusts. It sounds like this should be easier them now that they have " electronic assist " controls .... sort like our Spyders. ..... I keep you posted on this adventure. ...... Later - Mike
    Mike, if I remember correctly they may have an option “to land themselves” if needed. Mine did NOT have this feature. It was pretty simple to land as a beginner....just decrease the throttle a bit and the plane would start to come down...increase the throttle an it would slowly rise.

Bruce

Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

Spyder Garage

HMmmmmm There are 2 R/C flying clubs within 5 miles of my home. I marvel at the flying skills of some of those pilots. I, for one, will be watching for updates about your experience...... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Still have a couple hanging up in my shop, but haven’t flown in 20 years or so. It’s come a long way since I stopped flying. Engines either were glo (alcohol and nitro-methane) or gas. Flew 1/2A to quarter scale.
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Mike, since before this pic was taken in '84 when I was stationed in Germany.
    What do you want to know, I think i still have about 20 Electric or Glider's, handlaunch, aerotow, highstart or towline launched and a half dozen radio's up to 8 channel and multi memory controllers.
    Davids4meterglidermed.jpg Then 20 years later I'm flying a slope glider in the US somewhere.
    David flying slope glider.jpg Then about 2014 or so I was out with my Ka-8
    David's AeroTow 2-25M KA-8.jpg and here's one of my favorite little handlaunch gliders for close in flying,
    DSG Alula Trek top n bottom (Medium).jpg
    AND there are some RC computer based controller simulators that help me "fly" indoors in inclement weather....
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default R/C Airplane

I would strongly suggest a flight simulator. I use 'RealFlight 7.5' for R/C models and 'X-Plane' for real airplanes. It's a hoot to try and fly these digital airplanes.

RealFlight is up to version 12:

Webpage:

https://www.realflight.com/

Horizon Hobby for RealFlight:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/search?...RoCJ-oQAvD_BwE

X-Plane is now version 12:

Demo:

https://www.x-plane.com/desktop/try-it/

Webpage:

https://www.x-plane.com/

Good luck!

Joe T.

Here's one I built many moons ago and some small electric LongEZs and a couple of electric kits planes. The guy in the suspenders is me (last pic). John, in the first and last pic, is my pilot. Dennis, also in the first pic, is the Airport Manager.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Joe T.; 11-06-2022 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Update with photo
    Joe T.
    I miss SoCal - - - -

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I used to be very into rc airplanes, including my 12 foot wingspan plane I built from scratch. I should be able to answer any questions you have
    100_0212.jpgDCP_0093.jpg
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wonder if flying a drone is a better starting toy?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Wonder if flying a drone is a better starting toy?
    The thing with drones is they are very useful for videos and pictures that you otherwise couldn’t get. This led my son and I into another hobby, making videos!

https://youtube.com/channel/UCGcHMon1cXoWakyGUpADnJQ
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    I used to be very into rc airplanes, including my 12 foot wingspan plane I built from scratch. I should be able to answer any questions you have
    100_0212.jpgDCP_0093.jpg
    WOW !!!!....... quite a collection ... I'm impressed .... you also like LARGE planes ..... I see two Bi-wingers ????? .... were / are they easier to fly ???? .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 11-07-2022 at 10:37 AM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the positive feedback ..... PS the plane is supposed to be delivered tomorrow _ I found a vid showing how to assemble from a sealed box ..... with tips from a long time R/C'er ..... I'll keep you posted ..... Mike ............Well I just received a delivery up-date ..... by the end of today ( Mon. )
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 11-07-2022 at 10:36 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

WOW !!!!....... quite a collection ... I'm impressed .... you also like LARGE planes ..... I see two Bi-wingers ????? .... were / are they easier to fly ???? .... Mike
    I always found the bigger ones easier to fly because they are easier to see, less twitchy, and less affected by the wind. They do affect the wallet though. There is over $20,000 in planes in that photo. I got out of the hobby when I started riding motorcycles.

Spyder Garage

Did about a decade racing model cars. Off road buggies, 1/12 scale electric on road, and 1/8 scale on road that was 0 to 70 mph in three seconds. So I would believe I had experience with RC hobbies.
    While still a racer of 1/8 scale cars, I took up flying RC aircraft.

While flying RC aircraft was ok, for me it lacked the performance and excitement of wheel to wheel racing the cars. So gave that up, and gave away all my RC aircraft and supplies.

No doubt, my decades of having a day job as an aircraft mechanic, the model airplanes I found boring.

Will say though, same as full size aircraft, gravity always wins.
    Enjoy your new hobby, save accordingly as it can get expensive quickly.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Did about a decade racing model cars. Off road buggies, 1/12 scale electric on road, and 1/8 scale on road that was 0 to 70 mph in three seconds. So I would believe I had experience with RC hobbies.
    While still a racer of 1/8 scale cars, I took up flying RC aircraft.

While flying RC aircraft was ok, for me it lacked the performance and excitement of wheel to wheel racing the cars. So gave that up, and gave away all my RC aircraft and supplies.

No doubt, my decades of having a day job as an aircraft mechanic, the model airplanes I found boring.

Will say though, same as full size aircraft, gravity always wins.
    Enjoy your new hobby, save accordingly as it can get expensive quickly.
    Old pilot’s saying, “There is no such thing as gravity, the Earth sucks”.

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RapidSpyder View Post
    Old pilot’s saying, “There is no such thing as gravity, the Earth sucks”.
    Yep, but it's not just pilots that have that saying tho! No matter how you get up there, once you start, the ground always comes up to meet you waaaayy too fast!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Takeoffs are optional. Landing is mandatory.