Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spyder Garage

All, wanted to say thanks again for the all the comments generated by this thread. Learned and learning A LOT. I wanted to let you know that I originally purchased a tire from Tire Rack off the web. It was the General Altimax RT45. I ordered in the 225 60 15 size and I think it would have fit my 18 RTL, but I wanted to reduce the overall circumference and the sidewall and after reading about everything I could find, here and elsewhere, I sent that back and got the same tire in the 215 60 15 size. My comments here are just make a hat tip to Tire Rack. They had daily communication with me. They had UPS out to pick up the first tire the day after I ordered the new tire (that was the only stipulation) which was easy because I was going to do that anyway. They still shipped the new one AND the first one for free and they did not have to because this was all on me. So anyway, thought that was pretty cool of them, especially nowdays with return policies and restocking fees etc. The other thing is that it made it from Nevada to Washington on like day two.

Also, thank you for all the feedback here to help educate and inform...much obliged.
    Lvmyspyder
    She's Lisa
    2018 Spyder RT Limited[img]
    2018 RTL , Stock Brake Pedal Extender. White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lvmyspyder View Post
    Hey Ron, thank you for the feedback. I liked the tread pattern and looks and the reviews of many of the premiere "summer tires" for the Spyder. I have spent MANY hours reading up on tires this past year and you are spot on with your assessment and comments and the are supported from a wide variety viewpoints and sources.

Summer tires are designed and manufactured for more ideal summer conditions and since we encounter many different riding conditions, IMHO, I think we put ourselves, or passengers and our machines at risk by not having an "all season" tire on all three corners. I am not an expert by any means, but that is one of the conclusions I have come to in my research.

I am replacing my OEM Kenda (finally) and have already replaced my fronts with Federal Formoza AZ01's. Both perform differently in wet versus dry and hot versus cooler or cold and I am sure position on the bike plays into it as well, but my experience is that in the same riding conditions, the variance in performance is exponentially worse on the OEM Kenda and not just saying that because I personally think that tire is sub-par.
    Interesting reply. While I totally agree that unless a persons local conditions exist to run a summer performance tire, which requires asphalt temps above 40*f, there is no detriment to running a quality (non summer, not temp limited) high performance tire instead of an all season touring tire with less grip.

Also interesting that on your Spyder, you have chosen to run Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires, which Federal describes in sales info as a high performance all season tire, and you will be running, a very high 75,000 expected miles on a passenger car, rear all season touring tire on the rear.

My own thoughts on this, I would prefer some understeer while cornering vs having the rear tire slip into oversteer. Last thing I have enjoyed is having the Spyder rear end pitch sideways while traveling. That was in a straight line when the rear tire hit deeper water, while accelerating, rear end headed to the right side about 12” to 18”. I easily recognized the situation, and brought the throttle back a bit and reacted more quickly than the nanny could to take over. Again no way I would want to have the Spyder rear end deciding it wanted to be the front.

The above mentioned oversteer event, plus wanting to improve the handling further through flowing corners, is why I need to find time to optimize the front roll center of the chassis without inducing tire scrub more than my current toe settings are.

Spyder Garage

OK, I have Federal Formoza AZ01 165/55r15's on the front of my 2018 RT-L on the chrome starfish wheels. I have 15" Orb Series Front Wheels for the Can-Am Spyder (Set of 2) Chrome wheels on order, and thought I would just put new tires on the new rims and keep the old wheels and tires incase I decide to get a new Spyder. Well finding tires right now in very problematic!

Anyone bought tires recently? Make and size, and where you found them????

BTW I hate the look of the OEM starfish wheels. And original owner damaged to chrome tying it down in a toyhauler 5th wheel.

I really like the OEM 2019+ chrome wheels , however they are really expensive.

So!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Snoking1127; 12-03-2022 at 04:23 PM.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    OK, I have Federal Formoza AZ01 165/55r15's on the front of my 2018 RT-L on the chrome starfish wheels. I have 15" Orb Series Front Wheels for the Can-Am Spyder (Set of 2) Chrome wheels on order, and thought I would just put new tires on the new rims and keep the old wheels and tires incase I decide to get a new Spyder. Well finding tires right now in very problematic!

Anyone bought tires recently? Make and size, and where you found them????

BTW I hate the look of the OEM starfish wheels. And original owner damaged to chrome tying it down in a toyhauler 5th wheel.

I really like the OEM 2019+ chrome wheels , however they are really expensive.

So!
    Have you checked with ON-LINE sources, I agree production is tight but folks who shop TireRack or Discount Tire seem to be able to get spyder tires in the sizes we use ..... If you go on-line, don't answer any questions nor talk to any sales people ... you are using car tires on a Motorcycle and there are legal issues with the folks who sell them....PS it's NOT illegal for you to use them, it's the selling that's an issue .....JMHO .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-03-2022 at 10:05 PM. Reason: dell - sell ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Have you checked with ON-LINE sources, I agree production is tight but folks who shop TireRack or Discount Tire seem to be able to get spyder tires in the sizes we use ..... If you go on-line, don't answer any questions nor talk to any sales people ... you are using car tires on a Motorcycle and there are legal issues with the folks who sell them....PS it's NOT illegal for you to use them, it's the selling that's an issue .....JMHO .... Mike
    I have been to one end and then the other on the internet. At least I have good Federals that I can dismount and put on the new wheels.

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I know. A very overworked subject.

At the very least. If you're running a 'Summer' tire. Be aware of these tendencies.
    Thanks Ron, Looks like I have been on the right track. Awesome bit of information.
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

I have been to one end and then the other on the internet. At least I have good Federals that I can dismount and put on the new wheels.
    I suggested Tire Rack ... they have tires available ( right now ) for the front and rear .... they have the new RIKEN Raptor HR for the rear available ( right now ).... So maybe you need to expand your search ?????? .... JMHO .... Mike ....PS I won't recommend Federals, I think they aren't in the top ten rated tires

Spyder Garage

I suggested Tire Rack ... they have tires available ( right now ) for the front and rear .... they have the new RIKEN Raptor HR for the rear available ( right now ).... So maybe you need to expand your search ?????? .... JMHO .... Mike ....PS I won't recommend Federals, I think they aren't in the top ten rated tires
    Thanks! Ordered 175/55R-15 Vredestein Quatrac SL

I would note about the Federals, Discount Tire could not balance them because they did not have the right cone to mount them on the balancer. Having read that they need very little weight, I said just refund the cost of the balancing and roll them out to me. They have ran just fine and have been very smooth. The OEM Kenda's had a ton of weights on the wheels to balance them.
    Last edited by Snoking1127; 12-04-2022 at 08:33 AM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks! Ordered 175/55R-15 Vredestein Quatrac SL

I would note about the Federals, Discount Tire could not balance them because they did not have the right cone to mount them on the balancer. Having read that they need very little weight, I said just refund the cost of the balancing and roll them out to me. They have ran just fine and have been very smooth. The OEM Kenda's had a ton of weights on the wheels to balance them.
    I have bought quite a few tires for Spyders ( since 09 ) I have never had a problem getting FRONT tires balanced at any of the tire shops I brought them to ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I have bought quite a few tires for Spyders ( since 09 ) I have never had a problem getting FRONT tires balanced at any of the tire shops I brought them to ..... Mike
    I couldn’t get my fronts balanced at either my local tyre shop or bike shop, Mike. I ended up going to a local guy’s home shed. He restores old cars and had the right cones. There are a serious number of shops out there without the ability to balance Spyder tyres .

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I find this front tire balancing issue puzzling.We purchased a tire balancing machine with a generic, basic cone set. Fits the Spyder front wheels no problem. We don't have near the cone selection that most tire shops have. We just don't need them. But like I said. The set we received has a cone that works just fine. How is it that a much better equipped tire shop does not have the needed cone?
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I have a 2016 RTS.
    Please tell me the sizes you put on your spyder.
    Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires.
    Thanks in advance

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by marty1096 View Post
    I have a 2016 RTS.
    Please tell me the sizes you put on your spyder.
    Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires.
    Thanks in advance
    Quatrac sizes that fit front are 165/60-15 & 175/55-15 ....also the Quatrac 5 which is the older model ....Vredestein Rear 205/60-15 or 205/65-15 .... in both those models. .... I discovered the Vredestein Brand, however I think the Riken HP ( which I have tested on my RT ) in 225/60-15 is almost as good as the V, but about $22.00 less money...... Good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Got the new tires and wheels installed. I am liking them!

Spyder Garage

You should be very happy with this selection. We've put a good number of these on customer's bikes. And we've had a lot of rain to test them out. They work well, wet or dry. I think the safety factor alone is worth doing your homework. Rubber and round alone are not enough for the Spyder, in my opinion.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    You should be very happy with this selection. We've put a good number of these on customer's bikes. And we've had a lot of rain to test them out. They work well, wet or dry. I think the safety factor alone is worth doing your homework. Rubber and round alone are not enough for the Spyder, in my opinion.
    NO more starfish wheels to look at. That wheel ran for too many model years!

Spyder Garage

I also installed a new Zumo XT GPS and am liking it also.

Spyder Garage

I am liking the 175/55R-15 Vredestein Quatrac SL tires. I did the twisties to Canyon Lake and then when onto Saguaro Lake and back home. I had thought the Federal Formosa's had improved handling when they went on, and the Vredestein's are another step up from there. Oh, and I am playing music from the Zumo XT to my TCOM intercom.

New PPA wheels aren't bad either.
    Last edited by Snoking1127; 12-16-2022 at 08:36 PM.

Spyder Garage

Snoking, I am really liking those new chrome wheels on your Spyder. I am a chrome guy and those wheels really add to
    the overall looks of the Spyder. I have always liked that color also.
    Artie
    2017 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic Chrome
    2017 RTL , Asphalt Grey Mettalic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Partzman23 View Post
    Snoking, I am really liking those new chrome wheels on your Spyder. I am a chrome guy and those wheels really add to
    the overall looks of the Spyder. I have always liked that color also.
    Artie
    I like the 2019 chrome wheels, however they are twice to price of the PPA ORB chrome wheels.