Spyder Garage

Angry 2014 RT limited - damaged ignition lock, need solutions

Looking for advice here -
    My wife took our 2014 RT limited to work yesterday as she has been doing so for couple of years. After work she realized that some lowlife was trying to steal the bike and in the process destroyed good portion of the ignition lock

Spyderlock2.jpg

Now, she was able to insert the key, start the bike and ride home but lock is damaged. Luckily DESS did not trigger.
    Since the lock cover is pried off and black lock ring is missing this allows key cylinder to move way too much. When the key is inserted it can't be pulled out until I apply some pressure on the cylinder with needle-nose pliers.

1) Does anyone know if only key cylinder can be replaced or I need to swap the whole thing?
    2) How much should I expect to pay for dealer replacing the lock - any idea?
    3) Should I even consider replacing the lock since this one still works?

I am very mechanically inclined and I have been doing all the bike maintenance myself, so I can swap the lock myself also if I decide to go w replacement route. I know I would need to take the bike to the dealer to get lock/keys programmed but I could not find any info if I need to replace DESS module too...

Also does anyone knows of any solution that would cover and protect ignition lock so I can prevent this happening in the future?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-11-2022 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Removed Prefix - not engine/size related

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h078 View Post
    Looking for advice here -
    My wife took our 2014 RT limited to work yesterday as she has been doing so for couple of years. After work she realized that some lowlife was trying to steal the bike and in the process destroyed good portion of the ignition lock

Spyderlock2.jpg

Now, she was able to insert the key, start the bike and ride home but lock is damaged. Luckily DESS did not trigger.
    Since the lock cover is pried off and black lock ring is missing this allows key cylinder to move way too much. When the key is inserted it can't be pulled out until I apply some pressure on the cylinder with needle-nose pliers.

1) Does anyone know if only key cylinder can be replaced or I need to swap the whole thing?
    2) How much should I expect to pay for dealer replacing the lock - any idea?
    3) Should I even consider replacing the lock since this one still works?

I am very mechanically inclined and I have been doing all the bike maintenance myself, so I can swap the lock myself also if I decide to go w replacement route. I know I would need to take the bike to the dealer to get lock/keys programmed but I could not find any info if I need to replace DESS module too...

Also does anyone knows of any solution that would cover and protect ignition lock so I can prevent this happening in the future?
    When I bought my 14 RT I also received a LOCK cylinder for a BRP trailer ( keyed the same as the ignition ) I think it could be exactly like the ignition cylinder ..... Do you still have yours ????? ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think you're going to have to replace the whole ignition switch.

If you have the skills it can be done at home.

But the key will not be the same.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-11-2022 at 03:46 PM.

Spyder Garage

I still have a cylinder - where my key fits, but I tried to turn the key while holding cylinder bottom with a pliers not to obstruct the pins - but key is not turning...

Spyder Garage

I still have a cylinder - where my key fits, but I tried to turn the key while holding cylinder bottom with a pliers not to obstruct the pins - but key is not turning...
    Interesting ... I just checked mine .... The lock cylinder doesn't work the way you think it does ..... As you are holding the cylinder, You will see the backs of the PINS. .... watch them as you put the key in, if they all go down, the barrel should turn while IT'S IN THE IGNITION SWITCH HOUSING..... To verify my hypothesis I put a Spyder key from an RSS in the lock, ( the spare lock for my 1RT ) it slid in easily ( they have the same type of key ) and guess what ???? ... only some of the PINS went down ..... You can check with a locksmith and see if they agree with what I said ..... good luck ... Mike ....PS sent you a PM
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 10-15-2022 at 10:26 AM. Reason: holding...

Spyder Garage

Blueknight is correct, When the key is inserted into the barrel all of the pins should be in (all smooth across the barrel) this allows the barrel to turn inside of the housing.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If it comes to the point that you need to replace the entire ignition switch assembly, then No - the DESS module does NOT need replaced. The new keys just need to be added to the system with the BUDS software. A couple of clicks with the mouse. A new DESS antenna DOES come with the ignition switch assembly - it's all assembled. You'll just need to snake the new harness down to the DESS module. And DON'T use any dielectric grease on the connector. Good Luck.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 10-12-2022 at 11:26 AM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    To answer that unanswered question - No. The new keys just need to be added to the system with the BUDS software. A couple of clicks with the mouse. A new DESS antenna DOES come with the ignition switch assembly - it's all assembled. You'll just need to snake the new harness down to the DESS module. And DON'T use any dielectric grease on the connector. Good Luck.
    I have always considered you to be one of the smartest folks here ...... However if He is able to swap out His damaged " lock cylinder " for the one that is used for the BR trailer ( which uses His orig. Key ) IMHO none of the parts / pieces / BUDS / or key will need to be changed or adjusted....... Mike PS.. I just checked a parts Fiche' and did find the " ignition switch assembly " ... ( quite $$$ ) .... BRP doesn't list " just the lock cylinder " ... from other posts I've read on this forum, the " lock Cylinder " has been re-placed. .... Since the Ignition switch is an assembled part, I believe ONLY the cylinder needs to be re-placed to fix His problem ....
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 10-12-2022 at 10:38 AM.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hey Mike. Thank You, and you're correct. If he can get just the lock cylinder replaced, he'll still be using his original keys, and that would be his best solution. I was referring to his option of replacing the entire switch assembly, if it comes to that, not just the lock cylinder. I'll edit the other post to be more clear.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 10-12-2022 at 11:35 AM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Spyder security

A mechanical solution would be bulky and just add one lock on top of another one.

You're going to need an alarm system with the following features:

1. Proximity sensor near lock (this will be a bit tricky to locate and adjust so it isn't hyper-sensitive).
    2. Motion/shake sensor(s).
    3. Remote notification to distance of wife's work site.
    4. Active indicator light, small enough to not attract attention but big enough to be noticed by low life.
    5. Sticker saying "Electronic Key Required" or something to that effect.

The alarm control can be mounted near to and powered by the Horn circuit. You might even use the horn as the audible alarm instead of or addition to the siren.

This is a basic system. If you want something more (eg, flashing lights) then wiring is an order of magnitude more complex if you don't want to put your Spyder electronics at risk.

Best wishes.
    Last edited by BertRemington; 10-12-2022 at 05:31 PM. Reason: forgot "not"
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    A mechanical solution would be bulky and just add one lock on top of another one.

You're going to need an alarm system with the following features:

1. Proximity sensor near lock (this will be a bit tricky to locate and adjust so it isn't hyper-sensitive).
    2. Motion/shake sensor(s).
    3. Remote notification to distance of wife's work site.
    4. Active indicator light, small enough to not attract attention but big enough to be noticed by low life.
    5. Sticker saying "Electronic Key Required" or something to that effect.

The alarm control can be mounted near to and powered by the Horn circuit. You might even use the horn as the audible alarm instead of or addition to the siren.

This is a basic system. If you want something more (eg, flashing lights) then wiring is an order of magnitude more complex if you don't want to put your Spyder electronics at risk.

Best wishes.
    I was thinking more in line with how is it on H-D bikes...My Softail Night Train has this type of switch with built in lock... so I was thinking if anyone knows for similar solution or cover type to put over ignition lock

HD-lock.jpg