Spyder Garage

Default 18 Spyder RT will not turn on

18 Spyder RT will not turn on. I turned the key and the display turned on for a second. I tried to boost it and couldn't start it.
    Even boosting it with the battery still installed the display did not want to come on.
    I took the battery out and it reads 12.7 volts. I boosted the bike with a car and got it home.
    Tried to boost the bike with a battery boost and the dash does not light up.
    I'm thinking it's a relay.
    Any ideas
    Last edited by ahh-cool; 10-11-2022 at 11:59 AM.

Spyder Garage

Could it be the key switch?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Battery bad

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wink Replace the battery

Original battery? If so you have two choices:

1. Replace the battery (search for recommendations).

2. Spend days/weeks fooling around with relays and then replace the battery.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ahh-cool View Post
    18 Spyder RT will not turn on. I turned the key and the display turned on for a second. I tried to boost it and couldn't start it.
    Even boosting it with the battery still installed the display did not want to come on.
    I took the battery out and it reads 12.7 volts. I boosted the bike with a car and got it home.
    Tried to boost the bike with a battery boost and the dash does not light up.
    I'm thinking it's a relay.
    Any ideas
    If the spyder started with the car battery - I don't think the relay is an issue .... as others have said .... look to the battery as the problem ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I now don't think it's the key switch because the flashers didn't work. I know I was able to jump the bike and it started and I drove it home. I was getting ready to purchase a battery and I was trying to jump start it with a battery box and a car jump but I had nothing, no lights on the dash. I had it towed, free towing and he said it's the battery. I told him to put in a battery and check it a few time throughout the next few days to make sure. He said they are having a hard time getting batteries.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ahh-cool View Post
    I now don't think it's the key switch because the flashers didn't work. I know I was able to jump the bike and it started and I drove it home. I was getting ready to purchase a battery and I was trying to jump start it with a battery box and a car jump but I had nothing, no lights on the dash. I had it towed, free towing and he said it's the battery. I told him to put in a battery and check it a few time throughout the next few days to make sure. He said they are having a hard time getting batteries.
    I read this post a few times and frankly I'm confused about what going on ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

If you have changed the battery and keep starting it to make sure it's starting without riding it and charging the battery with the bike by riding it, IT WILL KILL THE NEW BATTERY! If it's straightened out and starting ride the thing and forget you ever had a problem!! good luck
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

The bike is in the shop for the battery and the sprocket service bulletin. I am working 12 hour shifts right now and I don't have another vehicle to find a battery. I'm in a small town of 200 people.

Spyder Garage

Not to mention you've recently had a near miss from IAN. Hope they've found the fix, will charge your new battery to full and get that new sprocket on in time for your riding.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Not to mention you've recently had a near miss from IAN. Hope they've found the fix, will charge your new battery to full and get that new sprocket on in time for your riding.
    I'm in Minnesota, right now working the Sugar Beet harvest. Should be leaving here in about 2 weeks