Spyder Garage

Default Winterizing questions - how to prepare Spyder for cold storage?

Sorry if this has been posted in the past, but my search didn't really show anything that was specific to this situation. Here in the snowy north, we generally store our bikes for about 5 months (Nov-Mar)...always in climate controlled conditions and plugged into a tender. This year, we will need to consider something other than that due to an almost 100% increase in the charge , that we just got informed about a couple of weeks ago. Since it's so late in the season, our choices are VERY limited. Very few of the storage units have electrical outlets. If they do, they are not climate controlled and will be below freezing and often below 0, for lengths of time. So, what are your suggestions for how to prep the bike for COLD storage? We're not exactly the "mechanical, wrenching-types" that I know are on this forum, so not interested in tearing apart all that's needed to get the battery out from under the seat of an older model. Do we just have to "bite the bullet" and shell out several hundreds of dollars more???
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-10-2022 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)
    2011 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

It's easy, just put some good fuel in the tank with about a shot or two of marine stabil in the tank, take it out for a ride to get it up into the system! Then take it home and put it on a charger and give the battery a good charge till full! then put it to bed in the storage unit, I would take the battery connection that you can get to from the side and disconnect it, maybe put a wrap of tape on it and say see ya in the spring! No worries, if you have a good strong battery it will not freeze, and you'll be all set it the spring, if it isn't then you'll have a nice new battery for next winter!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Pre Hibernation Battery Care - Tender/Charger/Maintainer

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...rge-maintainer
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-10-2022 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Link Description/Detail... ;-)

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Do you know someone that could do a few minutes of wrenching for you? maybe watch a youtube video to see how to take the battery out. Otherwise, do the above to treat the fuel, I also like to put a couple extra pounds of air in the tires, spray a shot of wd40 lube on the front steering components and the parking brake cable parts, the latches for the storage compartments, etc... I also change the oil/filter in the fall. If you can get that battery out, I would certainly try to, and take it home to put on a tender.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arachnerds View Post
    Sorry if this has been posted in the past, but my search didn't really show anything that was specific to this situation. Here in the snowy north, we generally store our bikes for about 5 months (Nov-Mar)...always in climate controlled conditions and plugged into a tender. This year, we will need to consider something other than that due to an almost 100% increase in the charge , that we just got informed about a couple of weeks ago. Since it's so late in the season, our choices are VERY limited. Very few of the storage units have electrical outlets. If they do, they are not climate controlled and will be below freezing and often below 0, for lengths of time. So, what are your suggestions for how to prep the bike for COLD storage? We're not exactly the "mechanical, wrenching-types" that I know are on this forum, so not interested in tearing apart all that's needed to get the battery out from under the seat of an older model. Do we just have to "bite the bullet" and shell out several hundreds of dollars more???
    I live in VT. (I put my spyder in hibernation from Oct. to April) I change the oil/filter, keep the gas tank full, put fuel stabilizer in the gas tank (& let the machine run a while to get the stabilizer into the system) put the spyder on a battery maintainer that automatically goes to float mode when it's fully charged.

Put a cover over the spyder, and put dryer sheets around the machine to deter small animals. Maybe put something in the muffler so that small animals won't crawl in there. (In the spring remove the whatever you put in the muffler).

Deanna
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-17-2022 at 06:30 AM. Reason: ' 's ;-)

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Here in Minnesota we put Seafoam in the gas tank and fill it up, run it for about 10 minutes. We store our F3Ls in an enclosed trailer plugged into power, and stored then in a pole barn. Don't worry about the cold weather. In the spring they have always started up with no problem.
    Dave....

2016 Red/Black F3T w/ Audio
    Bajha Ron Swaybar, BRP driving lights
    F4 Windshield, Ultimate Tallboy Seat
    BRP Passenger Backrest
    Custom Dynamics fender lights
    Tricled Rear Bag lights w/ Flashing Brake Modulator
    Wolo Horn, Lamonster's Bungee Buttons
    Spyderpops Bumper Skid