Spyder Garage

Default 2013 RT SE5 ownership advice - pre purchase

We are looking into buying a friends 2013 RT SE5 as a machine to transition from 2 wheels to 3 wheels. He bought this spyder new in 2013 when he was 87, and he’s ridden it about 1000 miles a year, mostly 2x up with his slightly older wife. She’s now passed away and he says at 96 he probably shouldn’t be driving anymore and is thinking about selling it. It’s been garaged and dealer maintained it’s whole life. The both loved it and generally took it out for a couple hours of rides in the local area. We’ve read about the 998 engine vs the 1300 and poorer fuel mileage. So I’m interested in Spyder riders experiences with the older model before we make a commitment, beyond just getting the 3 wheel MC endorsement last week. We do like to ride in the late spring to late autumn with my other half riding his Suzuki 650 to Alaska and the Yukon this summer, our sons ride, and I feel that 3 wheels will allow for more family riding in the future.

D26A3919-6102-4AD1-AF2C-7FB8034C462F.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-08-2022 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Fixed attach display
    2013 RTS , Yellow

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the Forum & Posting EKB2, good to see that you're considering one of the last & better versions of the revvier, peppier, & more exciting to ryde Spyders in that 2013 - they might need a little more maintenance, use a little bit of oil & burn thru a tad more gas, but they're sooo much more fun to ryde than the heavier & lazier 1330 motors.... And if you get the ECU Upgraded to unleash a bit more of the purposefully retarded performance in the V-Twin, & then manage to resist the temptation to wring the throttle hard all the time then your 'normal cruising' mpg shouldn't be too much worse than that of the better stock 1330's! But once you come to terms with Spyders & riding them appropriately (cos they ARE a different machine, so it'll probably take you a bit, maybe even 1000 miles or so to get truly used to them?!? ) a V-Twin Spyder will STILL be a whole lot more FUN than a 1330 AND like all Spyders, when ridden well it'll out-brake & out corner just about any 2 wheeler & most 4 wheelers too! It's only once the straights start getting longer & the tight curves turn into wide open sweepers that the dirty great wall of air our Spyders hafta push ahead of them starts coming into play & slowing them down!

So if that 2013 RT you're considering has been maintained well; has the big vents under the mirrors (for the Heat Recall); and is no longer running on the original tires (cos regardless of how good they might look, the originally fitted tires are now too old to be reliably safe any more - and besides, it's a great opportunity to toss the crappy Kendas & fit some 'real' car tires... any quality auto tire in a size that physically fits when run at the right (lower) pressure for the lighter load of a Spyder vs an auto should be MUCH better in all respects than the OE spec Kendas - but there's lotsa threads recommending great alternatives! ) then it should be a good machine for you, if not a great machine; and it's almost certainly going to be easy to enjoy ryding in the late spring to late autumn on any Spyder!

Sure, a 2013 model is getting a bit older & some things might start getting to be harder to find/do/get done on them, but IMHO the post recall 2013's are the best of the bunch - they got all the chassis, brakes, & suspension mods & handling upgrades that the 2014's got to handle the bigger motor, but they kept the proven reliable pinnacle of the V-Twin engines, and looked after well & ridden regularly, the V-Twins seemingly last forever & will give you many many MANY Miles of Smiles. For me & the Child Bride (plus my Assistance Dog - see my avatar pic for my last AD, Max; the new AD Buster is about the same size, just a different colour, & he loves ryding too! ) our 2013 RT has been largely trouble free & a whole lotta enjoyment & fun - even more so since an ECU Upgrade opened it up to running so much better - and that one you're looking at has barely been run in!! I don't think there's been too many years since 2013 that my 2013 RT hasn't done at least as many miles as that one's done total, and there's been more'n just a few years when mine's done more'n double that!

Still, you should look at & ride as many Spyders as you can before committing to a 2013 V-Twin - try an F3, or better yet, try one of the F3-S models AND try an F3-T or F3-L; as well as checking out the 2014-2019 RT's & maybe even a newer 2020+ model that's a whole new ryding experience again! There's no denying that the 1330 motors do have stonking torque & are easy to enjoy, even if they aren't quite as exciting to ride as a V-Twin, and the creature comforts & information over-load do tend to improve/increase over years, IF you're that way inclined! Me'n the Child Bride, we still haven't found anything newer than 2013 that's triggered even the slightest feeling of 'a need to upgrade', but hey, you do owe it to yourself to at least try them before deciding on the 2013 V-Twin.

Good luck on the Search!

Ps: I don't want to jeopardise your move to a Spyder, but (without knowing his particular circumstances ) I also don't really know why your 96 y/o friend feels he shouldn't be driving any more Just yesterday one of the 98/99 y/olds that I see & ride with occasionally told me that the only thing keeping him young & agile was the riding - and everyone knows that...

You don't get Old & Stop Riding; you get Old BECAUSE You Stop Riding

and that's only made even more so if you're ryding a Spyder!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-08-2022 at 09:09 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I have a 2012 rts I bought new. It has 22500 miles on it with no problems.

Spyder Garage

Maybe lil more info please, believe 3 different types that year: RT RTs RTL. SE5 just refers to type of transmission (simi auto 5 speed). All fine machines, some just more options included. Like ;Garmin Zumo 660GPS , heated grips, chrome & badging, automatic suspension level. Maybe others coming from 2wheel will have learning curve may Detour you at first. Some test riding will help as well as https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-Spyder-owners

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

You just made my day , Peter Aawen. I have a 2013 ST that me and the wife bought a couple of months ago, and did a 700 Mile trip on last week. Good to know I got the right year.
    2013 Spyder ST-SE5
    US Army 1971-1973
    Army Guard 1990
    Air Guard 1991-2010

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Welcome to the Forum & Posting EKB2, good to see that you're considering one of the last & better versions of the revvier, peppier, & more exciting to ryde Spyders in that 2013 - they might need a little more maintenance, use a little bit of oil & burn thru a tad more gas, but they're sooo much more fun to ryde than the heavier & lazier 1330 motors.... And if you get the ECU Upgraded to unleash a bit more of the purposefully retarded performance in the V-Twin, & then manage to resist the temptation to wring the throttle hard all the time then your 'normal cruising' mpg shouldn't be too much worse than that of the better stock 1330's! But once you come to terms with Spyders & riding them appropriately (cos they ARE a different machine, so it'll probably take you a bit, maybe even 1000 miles or so to get truly used to them?!? ) a V-Twin Spyder will STILL be a whole lot more FUN than a 1330 AND like all Spyders, when ridden well it'll out-brake & out corner just about any 2 wheeler & most 4 wheelers too! It's only once the straights start getting longer & the tight curves turn into wide open sweepers that the dirty great wall of air our Spyders hafta push ahead of them starts coming into play & slowing them down!

So if that 2013 RT you're considering has been maintained well; has the big vents under the mirrors (for the Heat Recall); and is no longer running on the original tires (cos regardless of how good they might look, the originally fitted tires are now too old to be reliably safe any more - and besides, it's a great opportunity to toss the crappy Kendas & fit some 'real' car tires... any quality auto tire in a size that physically fits when run at the right (lower) pressure for the lighter load of a Spyder vs an auto should be MUCH better in all respects than the OE spec Kendas - but there's lotsa threads recommending great alternatives! ) then it should be a good machine for you, if not a great machine; and it's almost certainly going to be easy to enjoy ryding in the late spring to late autumn on any Spyder!

Sure, a 2013 model is getting a bit older & some things might start getting to be harder to find/do/get done on them, but IMHO the post recall 2013's are the best of the bunch - they got all the chassis, brakes, & suspension mods & handling upgrades that the 2014's got to handle the bigger motor, but they kept the proven reliable pinnacle of the V-Twin engines, and looked after well & ridden regularly, the V-Twins seemingly last forever & will give you many many MANY Miles of Smiles. For me & the Child Bride (plus my Assistance Dog - see my avatar pic for my last AD, Max; the new AD Buster is about the same size, just a different colour, & he loves ryding too! ) our 2013 RT has been largely trouble free & a whole lotta enjoyment & fun - even more so since an ECU Upgrade opened it up to running so much better - and that one you're looking at has barely been run in!! I don't think there's been too many years since 2013 that my 2013 RT hasn't done at least as many miles as that one's done total, and there's been more'n just a few years when mine's done more'n double that!

Still, you should look at & ride as many Spyders as you can before committing to a 2013 V-Twin - try an F3, or better yet, try one of the F3-S models AND try an F3-T or F3-L; as well as checking out the 2014-2019 RT's & maybe even a newer 2020+ model that's a whole new ryding experience again! There's no denying that the 1330 motors do have stonking torque & are easy to enjoy, even if they aren't quite as exciting to ride as a V-Twin, and the creature comforts & information over-load do tend to improve/increase over years, IF you're that way inclined! Me'n the Child Bride, we still haven't found anything newer than 2013 that's triggered even the slightest feeling of 'a need to upgrade', but hey, you do owe it to yourself to at least try them before deciding on the 2013 V-Twin.

Good luck on the Search!

Ps: I don't want to jeopardise your move to a Spyder, but (without knowing his particular circumstances ) I also don't really know why your 96 y/o friend feels he shouldn't be driving any more Just yesterday one of the 98/99 y/olds that I see & ride with occasionally told me that the only thing keeping him young & agile was the riding - and everyone knows that...

You don't get Old & Stop Riding; you get Old BECAUSE You Stop Riding

and that's only made even more so if you're ryding a Spyder!
    ..... On the " get auto tires " advice, before you buy them let us know what size you want annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd be advised most Dealers won't put anything on but Kenda tires .... which must be purchased at the dealership. Any one can DIY the fronts, just take off the wheels and go to any auto tire shop and they can put Auto ties on --- the rear is a bit more difficult, but we can help you get them off and again any auto tire shop can put auto ties on .... good luck ... Mike ....PS what are they asking for that RT ????? ....

Spyder Garage

I would go for it in a heartbeat, and don't look back!! They all have their goods and bads, and if you run into a snag, just get on site and ask the questions, or do the search, there are plenty of us that can get you through most problems when they come up!! Good luck and happy trails!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

A well sorted 2013 RT series should be a fine machine. However the price you pay to purchase, if at the upper end may find you better off purchasing a newer 1330 powered machine. Unfortunately, the 2013 is essentially a model year that mixed the earlier engine into the newer chassis, supposedly on account that the 1330 engine was not ready in 2013. Not saying it is a bad machine, rather it is a one year only and the one with several important recalls. Therefore, in many sales, the 2013 is less desired and retains a lower resale value.

Spyder Garage

You should be aware that the 2013 RT model year had a NHTSA directed recall for engine fires. BRP made a modification kit to correct the problem and, IMO, one should not touch a '13 RT that has not had the recall modification installed. Remember also, in addition to the sneakers, you are dealing with a vehicle that has other 8-9 year old rubber, like fuel and vacuum lines, that might require replacement.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

We drove the newer 1330cc engines when we took the 3 wheel course. I bought a 13 RTL with the 998 engine.
    To be honest, the 998 has more than enough power for us two up. And I'm a big guy.
    Enjoy the 13 sir!

Spyder Garage

Default 2013 model information

The model looks like an RT-S given what I can see on 2013 reviews, and it’s yellow so that limited it two 2 models ST-S and RT-S. The luggage on the one indicates RT-S. The title and registration are at another place but here’s a picture of a picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2013 RTS , Yellow

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EKB2to3Wheelz View Post
    The model looks like an RT-S given what I can see on 2013 reviews, and it’s yellow so that limited it two 2 models ST-S and RT-S. The luggage on the one indicates RT-S. The title and registration are at another place but here’s a picture of a picture.
    ... it's an RT-S .... the limited had chrome wheels ..... the Basic had painted silver .... good luck ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ..... On the " get auto tires " advice, before you buy them let us know what size you want annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd be advised most Dealers won't put anything on but Kenda tires .... which must be purchased at the dealership. Any one can DIY the fronts, just take off the wheels and go to any auto tire shop and they can put Auto ties on --- the rear is a bit more difficult, but we can help you get them off and again any auto tire shop can put auto ties on .... good luck ... Mike ....PS what are they asking for that RT ????? ....

~~~like Mike asked you, what is the owner asking (price) for this machine? Additionally, thanks to all the owners of the twin mill in this thread for speaking up on their decision to own the 998 motor. Ive ridden a bunch of Spyders before buying the 21’ i now have but I don’t remember if i ever swung a leg over the 998. That said, I probably have, i just dont remember. BTW2, congrats to the OP for thinking strongly about buying a Spyder. Best decision i ever made when it comes to motorcycles i bought through the years

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    It’s never too late to have a happy childhood
    2021 Can Am Spyder RT Limited
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shakin_jake View Post
    ~~~like Mike asked you, what is the owner asking (price) for this machine? Additionally, thanks to all the owners of the twin mill in this thread for speaking up on their decision to own the 998 motor. Ive ridden a bunch of Spyders before buying the 21’ i now have but I don’t remember if i ever swung a leg over the 998. That said, I probably have, i just dont remember. BTW2, congrats to the OP for thinking strongly about buying a Spyder. Best decision i ever made when it comes to motorcycles i bought through the years

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    It’s never too late to have a happy childhood
    Think "sport" bike vs. GW style "couch" ride. My reason for change over (998/1330) was better mileage, less maintanence, and, for me, I like the less rev's on the ride.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks for your extensive reply! We appreciate you taking the time to respond.
    2013 RTS , Yellow

Spyder Garage

The owner hasn’t set a price because he’s just started thinking about selling it. There was a red 2012 Spyder RT with leather seats all the luggage and 7300 miles for $8491 at Infinity of Bellevue Seattle late in September and I’ve seen a couple others, a 2013 ST-L for $9500 so I expect it’ll be something in this area for pricing. We’ll just have to see ho it goes.
    2013 RTS , Yellow

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a reasonable price range to me. Let us know what you get, and how it goes as you learn about it.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

First of all, there is nothing wrong with a 2013 RT. I rode one for seven years and never had an issue. That year model had several upgrades over the 2012. You will need to check to see if it had the air intake recall done. It ran hot due to the tupperware change implemented for the upcoming 1330 engine. I upgraded to a 2020 RTL when they came out because I loved the new design and amenities and my 2013 was now two generations behind in development. But again, there is nothing wrong with the bike but you will need to read and research the best way to maintain the bike.

You mentioned riding to the Yukon and Alaska. I did a 29 day ride to Alaska this past summer on my 2020 RTL . I wrote about it in the Ride Report section. Read it over and feel free to PM me if you have questions about the trip.