Spyder Garage

Default 2020 RT starting scare

Did an oil and filter change on my 2020 RT at 54,000 miles. Eveyting going well, then checked the air filter only to have the internal lock ring come off with the filter. I have found the best way to get that to lock onto the flexible tube behind it is to remove the air filter housing and flexible tube and attache them out side of the Spyder. Then carefully slide them in and then attache the flexible tube to the other flexible tube.
    Of course you have to remove the left side three panels, both mirrors, both headlight covers, center cover, Both headlights, 4 bolts on the left side frame( for lifting top frame up to provide clearance for removing the air filter housing, ECM so you can loosen the bolt on the bottom support bracket, and then the 1 bolt on the filter housing.

After doing that and assembling everything back I went to start my Spyder and it would turn over, but not start. Tried WOT and no start, I could then smell fuel so I knew it wasn't lack of fuel.

I knew it wasn't the kill switch since it was turning over. I called it a day.

Today I went thru all the fuses and tested them. All tested fine. I decided to take everything apart that I worked on to see if somehow I pulled apart a electiral connection. I found nothing out of place. Decided I would have to have it taken to a dealer to find out what happened.

After assembling everything back together. I was lowering it off the stand and I thought - is it in N?

It wasn't - tried rocking it, and then pushing it back and forward while pushing on the gear button. The Spyder moved easily so I knew it was in N even though the dash showed 1.No luck - so I set the parking brake and tried starting. It took two tries, but on the second try I saw the dash change from 1 to N and it started.

I wish I had thought of that before spending 2 1/2 hours checking everything else!

First time that I had that happen in the 9 years of owning Spyders, but now I know to check for that if it happens again.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Glad you got it started PW2013, but just a note about this bit:

After assembling everything back together. I was lowering it off the stand and I thought - is it in N?

It wasn't - tried rocking it, and then pushing it back and forward while pushing on the gear button. The Spyder moved easily so I knew it was in N even though the dash showed 1.No luck - so I set the parking brake and tried starting. It took two tries, but on the second try I saw the dash change from 1 to N and it started.

Just be aware that with the SE5's clutch relying on about 3000 rpm to engage & the SE6 transmission & its oil/hydraulic clutch needing oil pressure, once the engine is stopped on any of the SE's, leaving it in gear does NOTHING to stop your Spyder rolling freely, the ONLY thing that does that for the SE's is the electrically activated Park Brake!

So with your 2020 RT PW2013, it probably WAS still in gear!! It sounds like you forgot that the clutch only works with oil pressure; so if the engine's not running, there's no oil pressure, which means the clutch isn't engaged between the trans & engine, and that means that even tho the trans is still in gear, if the engine is off then the Spyder will roll/move easily!! It's just like holding the clutch lever in on a manual - the clutch then isn't locking the engine & trans together, so even tho it's still in gear, it'll roll!!

So as I reckon you've discovered, if you leave your Spyder in gear when you shut down the engine, there's a somewhat greater chance that you might have starting difficulties when you try to start it again! This is because it is still in gear until you press the starter & trigger the transmission gear change solenoids to select neutral, and THAT solenoid activation takes a bit of battery grunt & a moment or two of time! I don't really know if that may've been the sole cause of your starting issues this time around, but the added 'cost' in terms of battery power & cranking effort in changing the trans to Neutral at the same time as cranking probably wouldn't have been helping any!

This is why I believe it's good practice to try to ALWAYS select Neutral before shutting down your SE Spyder! Leaving it still in gear does NOTHING to stop it rolling, cos the clutch isn't working to lock the trans & the engine together!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-09-2022 at 09:05 PM. Reason: n :-/
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    ....... This is why I believe it's good practice to try to ALWAYS select Neutral before shutting down your SE Spyder! Leaving it still in gear does NOTHING to stop it rolling, cos the clutch isn't working to lock the trans & the engine together!
    Excellent suggestion Peter. Plus, that practice should help extend your battery life. Not having to do as much work when starting the engine. I've noticed a little lag in starting while still in gear myself.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-09-2022 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Got to ask, was you holding the brake pedal when you were trying to start your bike?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member ottawa-rider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Got to ask, was you holding the brake pedal when you were trying to start your bike?
    Yes, This ^ - if you shut it off in gear you HAVE to hold the brake pedal down to start.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-09-2022 at 09:07 PM. Reason: break - brake ;-) Bloody auto-correct! :-/
    2018 RT LTD , Black

Spyder Garage

Yes I was
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue