Spyder Garage

Default Do I need to remove tires for Brake bleeding?

So I have a 2011 Spyder RT limited. Do I need to remove the tires in order to bleed the brakes, or jack it up, or can I bleed them without doing any of that?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-15-2022 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Abeaurline View Post
    So I have a 2011 Spyder RT limited. Do I need to remove the tires in order to bleed the brakes, or jack it up, or can I bleed them without doing any of that?
    Well, you can feasibly do it without doing any of that, but why would you want to make life & the job so difficult for yourself??

As far as I'm concerned, bleeding the brakes on your Spyder is generally a helluva lot easier if you can jack it up off the floor at least a bit & put it on axle stands; and even more so if you can take the front wheels off - it's a whole lot easier to access the bleed valves if you do!

And IIRC, you can easily get at the rear bleed valve with the wheel in place, especially if you're not lying on the ground searching for it!

Just Sayin'
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-15-2022 at 06:59 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

What is "IIRC"?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Goggle IIRC

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    What is "IIRC"?
    Goggle said 'If I remember correctly'.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Abeaurline View Post
    Actually you do need to remove the front wheels if you follow the manual for bleeding the brakes. The manual requires the calipers be removed and placed upside down on top of the rotor with the bleed screw up as high as possible. Remember the early Spyders did not have the Brembo brakes. The manual actually shows photos of the caliper position requirement for bleeding.

Spyder Garage

I don't know if new models need to do the last step of bleeding with BUDS connected. I'm not sure but I think that was the case for old models.
    Or am I in a mistake?
    2018 Spyder F3 Ltd
    2018 F3 Ltd. , Black/Dark

Spyder Garage

I put speed bleeders on my 2012, fluid change and bleed all three brakes last year! I did take my tires off the front, because I wanted full access to the calipers, and clean up any spills that may happen, the back I just got down on the floor and did it! It really wasn't a bad job to do, and with the speed bleeders in the next time will be even easier, with half the time cut off!! P.S, can you tell I love the bleeders!!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Well, you can feasibly do it without doing any of that, but why would you want to make life & the job so difficult for yourself??

As far as I'm concerned, bleeding the brakes on your Spyder is generally a helluva lot easier if you can jack it up off the floor at least a bit & put it on axle stands; and even more so if you can take the front wheels off - it's a whole lot easier to access the bleed valves if you do!

And IIRC, you can easily get at the rear bleed valve with the wheel in place, especially if you're not lying on the ground searching for it!

Just Sayin'

I just did a full (4) Speed Bleeder bleed, and taking the front wheels off made it much easier. ALSO: It's almost impossible to get to the ABS bleeder with the front wheels on. I came in from the left side to get to it. Just remember to keep topping off the fluids. Good Luck.
    2014 RTL bought in 3/20 with only 6,000 mi.
    Came with Garmin 660
    Car tires in 5/20; Elka stage 2 front shocks in 10/21