Thread: PRO's vs CON's

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default PRO's vs CON's

Lets see: Pro;s: fun to ride, great on longer trips, the cool factor, not many at the local bike night, draws much attention, nice acceleration, comfort, many mods available, much safer than 2 wheels, did I mention the cool factor?
    the con's: I had to have 2 updates done ( wow, my computer updates itself every few days)
    relay came loose from me hitting a big pothole, MINOR steering issue ( for me at least)

I would say the good things and good times really outweigh the bad things.

Just my 02 cents though and the 2010 is STILL on order

Spyder Garage

I'll jump in on this one:
    PRO'S
    1.Spyder has taken me to Quebec, LA, Gatlinburg twice and many, many local trips such as Niagra Falls, Hell, Tunnel of Trees and our own UP.
    2.One each of these trips we met or rejoined more spyder owners and spyderlovers and now call many of them friends. I would have never met so many of the great people I know without my spyder.
    3. Yes, the Cool Factor
    4. It is so very fun to ride
    5. It is safer in the rain and can be seen better by cars than most two wheeled vehicles.
    6. Even though I wish it were more, it still gets better MPG than either "cage" sitting in my driveway.
    7. It is a hobby, my husband and I share together.

CON'S
    1. This thing has costed me a fortune in accessories..
    2. It has needed some minor repairs and updates but until this recent problem, I always had it back within a day and ready to ride (good dealer)
    3. Some bugs may not be ironed all the way out but I am believing that will come. And yes, I am willing to be part of that.
    4. It takes longer to gear up for a ride than to just jump in the car (but it is more fun so I guess this doesn't count)
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dltang View Post
    I'll jump in on this one:
    PRO'S
    1.Spyder has taken me to Quebec, LA, Gatlinburg twice and many, many local trips such as Niagra Falls, Hell, Tunnel of Trees and our own UP.
    2.One each of these trips we met or rejoined more spyder owners and spyderlovers and now call many of them friends. I would have never met so many of the great people I know without my spyder.
    3. Yes, the Cool Factor
    4. It is so very fun to ride
    5. It is safer in the rain and can be seen better by cars than most two wheeled vehicles.
    6. Even though I wish it were more, it still gets better MPG than either "cage" sitting in my driveway.
    7. It is a hobby, my husband and I share together.

CON'S
    2. It has needed some minor repairs and updates but until this recent problem, I always had it back within a day and ready to ride (good dealer)
    3. Some bugs may not be ironed all the way out but I am believing that will come. And yes, I am willing to be part of that.
    4. It takes longer to gear up for a ride than to just jump in the car (but it is more fun so I guess this doesn't count)

Can't say I have been all the places that Deb has but I have 11,000 mile in 15 months on my spyder. Since I bought it I have only put 6000 miles on my car. (Which do I drive more )
    I just know that I have a really fun motorcycle for transportation that - makes me smile just thinking about it.
    I have started outfitting it the way I want it and hopefully by the spring I will have it bag, lighted the way I want it and I will be putting more miles with some over nighters in the mix.

I really cannot think of any cons - except I don't make money fast enough to keep up with Evans modifications but as long as I can make a little money and I can ryde I will be on my Spyder - cruising the coast.
    Bill
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Gulf Coast Spyder Ryders -- look for us in the Ryder Group/Club shortcut on the homepage.

New Ryders always welcome!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Given the pros you mention, my Spyder is better than I am.

Besides the pros mentioned, the Spyder gives a different kind of ride experience than my motorcycle or car for that matter. I stop more, enjoy places, explore more - not just the ride. For me, this has opened up a whole new dimension in riding for me. Since I got my Spyder in April, I have put less than 150 miles on my Jeep and motorcycle - combined - and I have traveled more miles (as of October 1) than I normally do in a year.

Con: The Service Department Experience. While this would apply to whatever motorcycle I brought in, I just dread taking the Spyder in for any kind of service. I have the same kind of negative experience with my Jeep too, probably just the nature of Service Departments now-days. But, I have had no real problems (just the parking brake after the dealership applied the fix) and now do all the basic scheduled services myself.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

OK, as mad as I've been lately, I'll jump in:

PROS
    Reverse Trike - 2 wheels in front - definitely safer than a conventional trike
    Once you get it accessorized, it's pretty comfy
    Met the nicest people and got to go on a cool trip to TN- farthest ride for me yet

CONS
    Steering Issue - this can kill someone
    I think it's overly electronic - wish it was more manual like a regular bike since software patches and tons of wires scare me now
    Dealers are at BRP's mercy when it comes to backordered parts

Spyder Garage

Before we bought our first Spyder, I made a list of pros & cons from what we had learned from dealers, forums, and articles. The lists took up a full sheet of paper each, and frankly the numbers on each side were pretty even. We still bought the Spyder and are glad we did. I made a similar list before ordering the new RT. Same results, full page - about even. Then I looked at what was on the list, and the pros were obviously stronger things, like safety, while the cons were pretty much nit-picking. I ordered the Spyder RT-S the following weekend.

In the end it doesn't matter what is on your list, or how long each side is. What matters is whether it makes you smile. Ours has never failed in that department.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    Lets see: Pro;s: fun to ride, great on longer trips, the cool factor, not many at the local bike night, draws much attention, nice acceleration, comfort, many mods available, much safer than 2 wheels, did I mention the cool factor?
    the con's: I had to have 2 updates done ( wow, my computer updates itself every few days)
    relay came loose from me hitting a big pothole, MINOR steering issue ( for me at least)

Dave

You forgot about one Pro: being able to take laps around Daytona Speedway in the rain!!! Oh ya and I forgot about the part about Doc and I fishtailling!!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WizardMaster View Post
    Dave

You forgot about one Pro: being able to take laps around Daytona Speedway in the rain!!! Oh ya and I forgot about the part about Doc and I fishtailling!!!!
    I did get that on video. As soon as I edit I will post it up..LOL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Speaking for myself no real cons here. Many pros that have kept us riding, happy and loyal. Nice to have some good topic posts.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dltang View Post
    CON'S
    It's addictive!!!

My only other con was the way it ran after the first update. I did the canisterectomy and she's back to her old screaming self.

Pros? - too long to list...I'd get carpal tunnel from all the typing.

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Spyder Garage

Most important pro for me:

My wife loves it!! As we all (most) know, when momma's happy the world is a much better place!

I have no cons. The fact that I want more accessories than I can afford is just a personal problem and I use the word "problem" for lack of a better word.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Pro's
    1. can go as slow as needed for wife to take pictures without falling over
    2. want find it tipped over from kickstand sinking in blacktop on hot day
    3. wife can drive if I get tired or sick on trip
    4. don't worrie about gravel in midddle of road in a curve
    5. added storage space with front trunk

Con's
    1.squealing rear brake nobdy can seem to fix
    2.DPS update that scewed it up
    3.ugly stock muffler
    4.stock windshield useless
    5.rear tire wears fast
    6. fortune in accessories also

Mostly we love it
    Last edited by Putt-Putt; 10-21-2009 at 02:39 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Texmac1011 View Post
    Most important pro for me:

My wife loves it!! As we all (most) know, when momma's happy the world is a much better place!

I have no cons. The fact that I want more accessories than I can afford is just a personal problem and I use the word "problem" for lack of a better word.

Great comment and I agree, this is the only machine that my wife has actually said it was OK to order the new RT, with all of the bikes I have owned in my lifetime this is a first, yes she liked our Ultra but the is in a class of its own and will be for some time. Now if I could only get her to actually ride it on the road (she has not got out of the parking lot at this time) then I would keep my PE and just add the RT. Two is always better than one don 't ya think.

Spyder Garage

Pros
    1- I own one
    2- It screams in acceleretion! ( I,m still breaking it in?)
    3- Much More visable than a bike
    4- Much more stable
    5- Emergency breaking and swerving is excellent ( You don,t need to lay it down and Pray?)
    6-It makes me smile all the time I,m on it!!
    7-I would not ride a bike ( Minor Limp) But the Risk on the Spyder is acceptable to me.

Cons-
    1- Some people have had problems.
    A Forum will Always Magnify Problems way out of porpotion compared to Statistical ####s.
    Amen!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default pros and cons

Pros
    1. a new and different experience than a bike I get to share with the wife.
    2. Very useable in situations I wouldnt want to ride two wheels in.
    3. Safety
    4. WOW factor
    5. Purchase cost versus other vehicles of its type.

Cons
    1. Poor dealership service and location
    2. Cost of ownership (ie parts, service costs)
    3. poor MPG versus two wheelers

I would list the ongoing issues with the DPS and other issues noted here but I HAVE NOT HAD THEM. All ive had is some squealing breaks and soem hesitation that was solved with the evap plug and bypass. So I keep on putting along loving every second I am on the thing. It truly is a special machine. I hope BRP finds the will to keep it going as I can really see a larger market for this vehicle once we and they get all the kinks worked out. I have been known to complain on the boards but again Ill say I love the spyder and plan to ride mine for a long time.
    2009 phantom 424 of 500! Another Happy Spyder owner

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post

Forgot to add another pro: All of the great people I have met on this site because of the Spyder.