Spyder Garage

Default Buying my first Spyder Have some questions.

Hi guys, I am looking to buy my first Spyder, Its a used 2012 RT with 5k miles, Is this a good model/Year ? What if any issues do they have and to look for ? What is a fair price to pay for it ?

Thanks !!

Spyder Garage
    2020 F3 limited, liquid titanium
    grip puppies
    Bajaron sway bar
    lamonster belt dampener
    battery tender
    19 in freedom tinted windshield
    matte black daytona frunk wrap
    Quadtrac 165/60's

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Look at the 1330's

Quote Originally Posted by Rick28 View Post
    Hi guys, I am looking to buy my first Spyder, Its a used 2012 RT with 5k miles, Is this a good model/Year ? What if any issues do they have and to look for ? What is a fair price to pay for it ?

Thanks !!
    I am a liking the 2014-2021 years '1330 ACE Engine' Spyders. The 1330 ACE is the better way to go. More power than the 998, a lot less maintaining issues. Also older Spyders are more troubled and harder to get parts.

My Dealer has stopped working on Bikes older than 10 years.
    Said that the 'new technician' is not qualified for these and has little experience or knowledge.

Also now the industry wants to go for Electric Vehicles/Bikes. So a lot more expensive training for the Dealer and Technician to pay. Just to have the 'fun' of working on your Spyder.

So guess what. The Spyder Shops labor rate is going up.

So, if you still want the 2012 Spyder RT and you're able to get parts and can do your own work. Yes, I say check it out and see if it is a good deal for you.

Good Luck on Your Mission. ....

Stay Healthy. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

There is nothing wrong with the 2012 model RT. However, a ten year old bike may need to catch up on maintenance and tires so you could end up paying more upfront to be confident about the bike on the road. Also, it's two generations behind the current model. Less maintenance and additional design improvements may be worth looking at a newer bike if your budget allows it.

Spyder Garage

Would 12K be a fair price to pay for it ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    I am a liking the 2014-2021 years '1330 ACE Engine' Spyders. The 1330 ACE is the better way to go. More power than the 998, a lot less maintaining issues. Also older Spyders are more troubled and harder to get parts.

My Dealer has stopped working on Bikes older than 10 years.
    Said that the 'new technician' is not qualified for these and has little experience or knowledge.

Also now the industry wants to go for Electric Vehicles/Bikes. So a lot more expensive training for the Dealer and Technician to pay. Just to have the 'fun' of working on your Spyder.

So guess what. The Spyder Shops labor rate is going up.

So, if you still want the 2012 Spyder RT and you're able to get parts and can do your own work. Yes, I say check it out and see if it is a good deal for you.

Good Luck on Your Mission. ....

Stay Healthy. ....
    What is the " More Maintenance " about the twin VS the 3 cylinder ?

Spyder Garage

Spend some time here studying the pros and cons. You may find out the niggly little cons (and there are a bunch of them) are not worth the headaches they bring with them. If I had researched more thoroughly in 2017, I might never have bought a Spyder of any year. They are the premier example of engineers doing everything possible to make consumers have lots of heartburn over failures that seem to be built into the machines so service and parts departments can make enough money to keep dealers *stealers* stay in business. I've put 132K miles on my 2000 BMW R1200C since purchase in Oct. of '04 and have have fewer problems than I have with my 2014 RT Limited with less than 12K since purchase in the fall of 2017.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

I will also join all who recommend a 2015 and up with the 3 cylinder 1330cc with the six speed transmission. Look around. There seem to be a fair amount on Facebook Marketplace. Good Luck.
    2015 F3S SE6

Spyder Garage

Where is the battery located? That was a deciding factor when I purchased my 2016 Spyder RT-S SE6. Older models have battery under rear of seat. In my opinion, a pain to get at and work on. Newer models have battery in front and easy to service.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rick28 View Post
    Would 12K be a fair price to pay for it ?
    " NO "....... $ 8,000 if in Excellent condition ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

And I own a 2012rtl!! Other than tires and a water pump, and gutting the air ride system to a manual fill system, brake pads, shocks, sway bar, it's been great!!!! Ton of fun
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

i cannot speak about older models but reading the last two years of comments on this forum, many older models seemed to need aftermarket parts to make them handle the way the rider wanted. I am on my second spider with the first one being a 2020 and found the newer ones great straight from the factory. Newer bikes will give you more riding time and less wrenching.

Spyder Garage

I'm trading in my 2012 RTS-SE5 that I've owned since new. It's not been a trouble free machine over the years but the issues I had were only minor. There are 2 little plastic lines on the throttle body that crack. I replaced with silicon lines. I also replaced the spark plugs and wires. Other than that just maintenance like oil and filters, brake pads, tires, and battery. Mine has 32,000 miles in excellent condition with added running boards, baja ron torsion bar, after market taller vented windshield and GPS. The dealer is giving $10,000. on trade.