Spyder Garage

Default Update on my RIKEN rear tire!

Upon recommendation of BlueKinight911, I mounted a RIKEN rear tire. Have a little more than 1500 miles. Been thru torrential rains. Handled that with confidence that they were not gonna lose their grip on the wet pavement or hydroplane. Of course I did back off the throttle a bit and did skirt puddled rain when I could. Seem to handle the bumps and holes with grace.

I came off Kenda Kanines that were ok, but didn't get the miles out of the rear - I was hoping for at 15000 miles.

Willie
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-19-2022 at 09:22 AM. Reason: abit %-)
    The Future is Not Today (Motorcycle Blog) http://nomadwillie.blogspot.com/ IBA 32847
    2015 RT-S
    2015 RT-S , White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fjrwillie View Post
    Upon recommendation of BlueKinight911, I mounted a RIKEN rear tire. Have a little more than 1500 miles. Been thru torrential rains. Handled that with confidence that they were not gonna lose their grip on the wet pavement or hydroplane. Of course I did back off the throttle a bit and did skirt puddled rain when I could. Seem to handle the bumps and holes with grace.

I came off Kenda Kanines that were ok, but didn't get the miles out of the rear - I was hoping for at 15000 miles.

Willie
    Thanks for this report ...... As I posted earlier I am very happy with this tire ..... it's a bonus ( during high inflation ) that it's about $20.00 less than any other great tire ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

I really like the test track reports at Tire Rack. Not saying they are the last voice in tires. But they do give some very good information.

Scroll down to the video portion.
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/riken-raptor-hr

Here are some other tests of tires popular with Spyder owners.
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/kumho-ecsta-ast

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...es#testResults
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I really like the test track reports at Tire Rack. Not saying they are the last voice in tires. But they do give some very good information.

Scroll down to the video portion.
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/riken-raptor-hr

Here are some other tests of tires popular with Spyder owners.
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/kumho-ecsta-ast

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...es#testResults
    Ron, the Kumho - ecsta / ast as reported " this tire needs - a significant increase in WET traction " .... I have never recommended this tire for just that reason ..... and the Conti Contac is even worse ......, Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-19-2022 at 01:55 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Ron, the Kumho - ecsta / ast as reported " this tire needs - a significant increase in WET traction " .... I have never recommended this tire for just that reason ..... and the Conti Contac is even worse ......, Mike
    That is why I said 'Popular'. Not necessarily good. The problem, as you know. is the more and more limited options available. There are great tires out there. But they don't make them for our rims. I wonder if BRP did this to us on purpose! No, they would never do that...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    That is why I said 'Popular'. Not necessarily good. The problem, as you know. is the more and more limited options available. There are great tires out there. But they don't make them for our rims. I wonder if BRP did this to us on purpose! No, they would never do that...
    Ron .... they are Popular tires, however they are far from the best tires ..... and ALL Auto tires fit CanAm Spyder rims / wheels .... the issue is ... SIZES .... there are some fantastic tires sold today , however not many will fit a Spyder..... Both Fed DOT and BRP state the wheels and tires are both " J " type.... so they match perfectly. ..... I'm really impressed with my new RIKEN especially the low price. .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Ron .... they are Popular tires, however they are far from the best tires ..... and ALL Auto tires fit CanAm Spyder rims / wheels .... the issue is ... SIZES .... there are some fantastic tires sold today , however not many will fit a Spyder..... Both Fed DOT and BRP state the wheels and tires are both " J " type.... so they match perfectly. ..... I'm really impressed with my new RIKEN especially the low price. .... Mike
    You're right. I misspoke. I just meant that there are very few tires out there that will fit our application. I should not have used the word rim.

Spyder Garage

Since the stock Kenda's clearly state on their sidewall that they are "J" type tires, doesn't that make them car tires?
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    Since the stock Kenda's clearly state on their sidewall that they are "J" type tires, doesn't that make them car tires?
    Not so much car tires. They fit on car RIMS! They are also clearly marked FOR SPECIAL MOTORCYCLE USE ONLY.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

NO .... as BBB just posted the Warning label on the sidewall " for Special Motorcycle use only ".... the Kenda's are too weak for even the " Smart " car

Spyder Garage

what particular riken tire was used? and what size?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rugercharger View Post
    what particular riken tire was used? and what size?
    Riken HR in 215/60 - 15 ....I bought it on-line@ tire rack .... If you chose to do this... DON'T TALK or ask questions of a salesperson ..... order the model and size and DECLINE any auto info...... many folks have made this mis-take and learned the saleman will tell you we can't sell it for a Spyder .. I also have the ZR A/S on my Cobra ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-20-2022 at 12:51 AM. Reason: can;'t - can't %-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i have 25000 on a riken 13000 of that was put on in 30 days still looks good

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    25,000 on a rear and 13,000 in 30 days? Wowza "Maybe" mean 2500 and 1300 ?

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

no rode to all four corners

Spyder Garage

According to DOT regs - Yes, BUT they are too weak to actually support even the lightest Car made ..... hence to special; dis-claimer from Kenda ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

WOW that's quite a few miles ..... Do you have a TREAD depth tool ???? .... If so, could you take and report some measurements

Spyder Garage

no rode to all four corners
    Dayum Awesome !!

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Sorry to chime in...not an owner yet but I'm following threads to learn about the Spyders before deciding whether to purchase one.

Is the issue with the "official" Kendas just mileage or are there other issues? Will purely automotive tires provide the same level or better traction than the Kendas do?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BigPoppa View Post
    Sorry to chime in...not an owner yet but I'm following threads to learn about the Spyders before deciding whether to purchase one.

Is the issue with the "official" Kendas just mileage or are there other issues? Will purely automotive tires provide the same level or better traction than the Kendas do?
    No, not just mileage, Poppa. Some (but not too many) get reasonable mileage out of their Kendas. It’s their build quality that is questionable. They usually require an inordinate amount of balance weights, are sometimes out of round, etc etc. Sure some buy aftermarket tyres purely to save money, but most buy them for the more sure footed feel you get, with added mileage as a bonus.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    No, not just mileage, Poppa. Some (but not too many) get reasonable mileage out of their Kendas. It’s their build quality that is questionable. They usually require an inordinate amount of balance weights, are sometimes out of round, etc etc. Sure some buy aftermarket tyres purely to save money, but most buy them for the more sure footed feel you get, with added mileage as a bonus.

Pete
    .... Kenda Spyder tires are built to the absolute MINIMUM allowed by law. .... they have very weak casing's and have the worst DEFECT rate of any tire I've seen in past 65 years...... Mike