Spyder Garage

Default Anyone tried Two Motohorns? Any differences 1 vs 2? in dB rating?

I thought I read here somewhere that a member installed two Motohorn's on their Spyder? If so, I can't find the thread. If that's the case, did you try it with one before installing the second one? With no difference in DB ratings, I wonder what the difference would be? Input please. Thank you

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sound can be tricky. For sure a second horn will not make the perceived loudness double. In fact, if the horns are identical there is the possibility of lower volume in certain areas around the bike as the sound waves from one horn cancel the sound waves from the second horn. Ears hear different frequencies as different loudness levels for the same power. That's why horn pairs are set to two different frequencies.

The best way, and of course the more expensive way, to find out is get the second horn and install it. But if you're expecting a dramatic increase in loudness at 30 or 40 feet away from the bike you will be disappointed.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Yup .. I understand this. To increase intensity, (1) horn would need to be 3db louder. To effectively double volume, you need an increase of approx. 10db Never thought about the cancelling out. Good point. I'm guessing that's why dual horn set ups have high/low pitches. Someone here did it. It will be interesting to hear their thoughts. I did pose the question to Motohorn in a email. Thx
    Last edited by troop; 08-13-2022 at 02:15 PM.

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Never thought about the cancelling out.
    I did a test one time of the speakers in our church. There were 3 on each left and right walls. I fed a 1000Hz test tone through the system. There was a certain spot in the center of sanctuary where all the sound streams canceled each other and all you could hear was silence!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

https://www.slingmods.com/canam-spyd...0%282020%2B%29

I installed these on my Spyder. One of them is exactly the same horn as stock. I can't remember if the high or low matches factory. I think the high. I can tell you there are considerably louder than stock. I have been extremely pleased with these dual horns.

Edit: I just noticed you were talking about those train horn monstrosities. Never mind my reply.
    Last edited by FrogmanDave; 08-14-2022 at 03:43 PM.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Well ... The Slingmod horns have a Db rating of 118. The Motohorns have a rating of "up to 150 Db." Even With a 20+ Db increase, the Motohorn's are effectively over 2X louder. Do you want a meep .. or a BEEP

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Well ... The Slingmod horns have a Db rating of 118. The Motohorns have a rating of "up to 150 Db." Even With a 20+ Db increase, the Motohorn's are effectively over 2X louder. Do you want a meep .. or a BEEP
    At what distance from the horns?

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    At what distance from the horns?
    Neither mention ...
    ** MotoHorn™ is rated between 130-150 dB. Its loudness level depends on measuring distance and on the trumpet placement. Trumpet placement can affect the decibel rating by ±5dB. **
    Last edited by troop; 08-17-2022 at 02:12 PM.

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Precise distance doesn't matter. Motohorn is plenty loud.

Spyder Garage

I have used these on my last several bikes. Much louder than stock, plug and play, mounts in stock location with stock wiring and no new relay required. Not the LOUDEST thing available but reasonably priced. They are 133 decibels. when using only one choose the LOW note. https://www.amazon.com/FIAMM-72112-F...00DINKPQ&psc=1
    IN GOD WE TRUST
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin,1759
    "The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Spyder Garage

I thought I read here somewhere that a member installed two Motohorn's on their Spyder? If so, I can't find the thread. If that's the case, did you try it with one before installing the second one? With no difference in DB ratings, I wonder what the difference would be? Input please. Thank you
    I installed 2 Motohorns, but they came as a kit, one is 400HZ and one is 500HZ. Together they are considerably louder then the stock single OEM horn!!!!!

Very easy install on my 2010RTSE5 except the frunk needs to be removed to gain access to the OEM horn wiring.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by timeless View Post
    I installed 2 Motohorns, but they came as a kit, one is 400HZ and one is 500HZ. Together they are considerably louder then the stock single OEM horn!!!!!

Very easy install on my 2010RTSE5 except the frunk needs to be removed to gain access to the OEM horn wiring.
    Thank you .. I just might have to dig into this. Gonna have to see what HZ I have. Very easy/discreet install on the F3's.

** After looking a bit closer, the left side doesn't allow access to mount the Motohorn on the inside of the frame tube. Gonna stick with my one **
    Last edited by troop; 08-21-2022 at 08:24 AM.

2022 RT Sea To Sky