Spyder Garage

Default Installed Riken Raptor rear tire - Question about how much air pressure ??

Replaced my Kanine rear tire with a Riken 215/60R15 RI RAPTOR HR tire. I thank BLUEKNIGHT911 for his guidance and recommendation.

The Kanine lasted 15108 miles. Installed both front and rear at the same time. Front still has plenty of life left. See picture below of the rear tire replaced

This is my first so called full fledge "Car Tire" I have used. What air pressure should I be using in this thing ?

I have been running 30# in the OEM Kenda's and Kanine in general. This is my 7th tire (including the one Can_am provided to me with the purchase) with 81,866 miles total miles on my Spyder.

First impression of the Riken. First ride was after a heavy down pour, so the roads were wet. No feeling of tire slipping out. Didn't want to test the aquaplaning by seeking puddles to splash thru, since it was 11pm and on back country road. The steering seemed lighter and more flickable with the Riken's, but again didn't push it getting home. When I first installed the Kanines, I made a comment here they seem less flickable and heavy than the OEM Kenda's, but once the turn was initiated, they held firm and didn't feel any loss of grip riding in a more aggressive manner in the twisties.

The replaced Kanine

20220727_130501 r.jpg
    The Future is Not Today (Motorcycle Blog) http://nomadwillie.blogspot.com/ IBA 32847
    2015 RT-S
    2015 RT-S , White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fjrwillie View Post
    Replaced my Kanine rear tire with a Riken 215/60R15 RI RAPTOR HR tire. I thank BLUEKNIGHT911 for his guidance and recommendation.

The Kanine lasted 15108 miles. Installed both front and rear at the same time. Front still has plenty of life left. See picture below of the rear tire replaced

This is my first so called full fledge "Car Tire" I have used. What air pressure should I be using in this thing ?

I have been running 30# in the OEM Kenda's and Kanine in general. This is my 7th tire (including the one Can_am provided to me with the purchase) with 81,866 miles total miles on my Spyder.

First impression of the Riken. First ride was after a heavy down pour, so the roads were wet. No feeling of tire slipping out. Didn't want to test the aquaplaning by seeking puddles to splash thru, since it was 11pm and on back country road. The steering seemed lighter and more flickable with the Riken's, but again didn't push it getting home. When I first installed the Kanines, I made a comment here they seem less flickable and heavy than the OEM Kenda's, but once the turn was initiated, they held firm and didn't feel any loss of grip riding in a more aggressive manner in the twisties.

The replaced Kanine

20220727_130501 r.jpg
    OK, ( not to offend but ) for your weight I suggest 19 - 20 lbs. ..... this will give you great traction and still have a comfortable ride .... I got my Riken on last nite, and I it has a UTOG of 520 .... so I have high expectations for mileage ...... good luck .... keep us all apprised of your mileage ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-29-2022 at 05:18 PM. Reason: apprised - appraised & back again! :oops:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    OK, ( not to offend but ) for your weight I suggest 19 - 20 lbs. ..... this will give you great traction and still have a comfortable ride .... I got my Riken on last nite, and I it has a UTOG of 520 .... so I have high expectations for mileage ...... good luck .... keep us all apprised of your mileage ..... Mike
    I got thick skin, I am too old to get offended, so no offense taken

I am sure the car place put a higher PSI in .

Bill
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-29-2022 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    The Future is Not Today (Motorcycle Blog) http://nomadwillie.blogspot.com/ IBA 32847
    2015 RT-S
    2015 RT-S , White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fjrwillie View Post
    I got thick skin, I am too old to get offended, so no offense taken

I am sure the car place put a higher PSI in .

Bill
    I wouldn't be surprised at that ( high PSI ) I just had my three new tires mounted ( only balanced the fronts ) ..... and they were all 28 PSI ...... I changed that immediately after checking drive belt etc. I went out and took it up to ...85 mph ..... rock solid ..... I'm headed down to NJ on Mon. ... if I do any WET driving, I'll post on when I get back the following Mon. or Tues. ...... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-29-2022 at 01:32 PM. Reason: wenrt - went ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised at that ( high PSI ) I just had my three new tires mounted ( only balanced the fronts ) ..... and they were all 28 PSI ...... I changed that immediately after checking drive belt etc. I went out and took it up to ...85 mph ..... rock solid ..... I'm headed down to NJ on Mon. ... if I do any WET driving, I'll post on when I get back the following Mon. or Tues. ...... Mike
    Safe trip to Joisey. Was down in the Toms River area in early July gathering up places for my Grand Tours and even visited my sister
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-29-2022 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2015 RT-S
    2015 RT-S , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Last edited by Peter Aawen; Today at 01:31 PM. Reason: apprised - appraised ;-)
    Hey Peter, Mike had the correct spelling... ;-)

apprise

verb (used with object), ap·prised, ap·pris·ing.
    to give notice to; inform; advise (often followed by of): to be apprised of the death of an old friend.
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    Hey Peter, Mike had the correct spelling... ;-)

apprise

verb (used with object), ap·prised, ap·pris·ing.
    to give notice to; inform; advise (often followed by of): to be apprised of the death of an old friend.
    You are correct - I must've been asleep! Thanks for drawing my attention to this.

Fixed!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-29-2022 at 05:30 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!