Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Spyder

Spyder Garage

Default New to Spyder

Hey guys! I just purchased a 2009 Spyder GS Phantom Black Limited Edition SM5, and absolutely love it!! The thing is tho - I'm totally new to Spyders and totally new to riding (I've never ridden a motorcycle before). I have gotten on it a few times already, and am actually pretty comfortable with it, but I wanted to see if any of you had any hints or tips that I should know about this totally, wicked awesome bike!! Any help would be appreciated

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

welcome

Spyder Garage

welcome and on your new !

If you are ever in the D/FW area, shoot me a PM and maybe we can go for a ryde!

David
    David
    McKinney, TX

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by andys11907 View Post
    Hey guys! I just purchased a 2009 Spyder GS Phantom Black Limited Edition SM5, and absolutely love it!! The thing is tho - I'm totally new to Spyders and totally new to riding (I've never ridden a motorcycle before). I have gotten on it a few times already, and am actually pretty comfortable with it, but I wanted to see if any of you had any hints or tips that I should know about this totally, wicked awesome bike!! Any help would be appreciated
    Congrats to you, I think the fact that you have not ridden a motorcycle is an advantage at this time. My only advise it to take it easy and relax. I have been a mo-cycle rider since the early 60's and for me it took a while as I had to forget a lot of things 'drilled into me' for riding bikes. For me the learning curve was about 600 miles for sure but now I feel realy comfortable and can relax and lighten up on my grip.

Just don't push it right away there is plenty of time for that later when you are more used to the fact that it does not lean in the turns so the forces are higher than a Bike.

Every one is different but I lean and place my weight slightly forward during sharp turns, its great fun.

Welcome to this forum, it's a great help for tons of information, there are plenty of good people and good advice about our machines here.

Spyder Garage

welcomeJust ryde, ryde, ryde. I was new a year ago and after 7300 miles am feeling much more comfortable. Love the more with each ryde.
    Happy Spyder Owner

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

and welcome

If you have never been on a motorcycle before I would recommend a MSF course. Other than that, I think you landed on the best site for resources and information about the spyder. Use the search tool to find information on many subject.

Ride Safe!
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Thanks so much guys!!! I have a feeling I'll be learnin' a lot from all y'all...I really appreciate everyone's responses so far

Spyder Garage

MSF course first, then find a vacant or little used parking lot and set up cones or tennis balls cut in half; ryde through them till you're comfortable, tighten them up and do it again, when you're comfortable with the nanny kicking in, you've got it.
    welcome

john

Spyder Garage

Default No joke . . .

. . . practice the Exercises in the Owners Manual, they give you the basic skills to move on to bigger things. Learning to ride is a long process of building skills and reflexes based on experiences. If you get the basics down pat, you should be able to address all the "surprises" waiting for you out there - and believe me, they are.

Take the advice you would give your teenager when they first get in a car to drive it. It is all about basic skills and attitude.

And don't worry, the fun is a natural part of the Spyder experience, you don't have to do or know anything special for that.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

I am also in Texas and have only been riding since the first week of
    August. A motorcyle class is a definite must. Along with learning the many safety tips in the class, it makes getting a MC license/endorsement so much easier, not to mention insurance cost savings. I took mine in Fort Worth and am much more comfortable on my Spyder because of it. Other than that, just ride. Experience on the road in open space is the best teacher. Good luck and Welcome!!

One other note, if you have a question, it has been answered in this forum somewhere. If it hasn't, ask and you will get many, many intelligent (and sometimes creative) answers.

Again, Welcome!

Spyder Garage

welcome I see you got the fastest color right from the start.
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

I,m new too and sooner or later someone is going to pull out right in front of me so I constantly scan and practise an emergency stop every time I,m out so when I need to stop real quick it will be second nature.
    Its more Fun every time.

Spyder Garage

welcome on you new spyder. Enloy the ryde and post on the forum often.
    Bill
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Gulf Coast Spyder Ryders -- look for us in the Ryder Group/Club shortcut on the homepage.

New Ryders always welcome!!!

Spyder Garage

welcome Texas where? We have a great riding group in Houston.

3WD
    Today is a good day to ride!
    owner!

[x]- Gun rack
    [x]- Helmet-mounted fire extingusher and DPS deactivation hammer
    [x]- Large print (senior version) safety card

Spyder Garage

Hey 3wheeldemon...i'm in the Waco area...not too too far, but pretty far

Thanks again y'all for all the hints and tips! And no worries...I definitely plan on taking the safety course.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

welcome Ryde and enjoy.

I am in Killeen a ttle closer.
    Happy Spyder Owner & Growing Stronger.

Spyder Garage

Default Me Too!

welcome

Alright! I knew i couldn't be the only person whose first bike was a Phantom ! Everyone here can give you better suggestions than I (since I'm just as new as you are!) But they are definitely right, a Safety Class would be a bright idea. Here in WI, taking the class gives you a wavier for the DMV road test !

My other suggestion, go out, for no reason what so ever, just go around town, take roads you know, and maybe even a few roads you don't, and make sure its not all residential roads, or just freeway, do it all! I've been doing that for the past few weeks (when the weather allows) and I feel WAY more comfortable on it already!

Good Luck and Safe Ryding!

Spyder Garage

welcomeon your newhave fun and be safe welcome to the family

Spyder Garage

welcome and on your purchase of .ride on
    brp backrest & rack system,kuryakyn passenger "floorboards",hindle performance exhaust,"permanent"battery tender jr."hookup",cupholder,ram mounting system for gps,brp 1"riser block,nmn 3" risers,calsi xl windshield,nmn day runner lights,brp trunk liner,cardio 4 communication system

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) 8LEGS's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

& welcome

Spyder Garage

welcome

Spyder Garage

If someone hasn't already mentioned it, I suggest viewing the safety dvd that came with the spyder; view it a number of times. Plus, listen to what already has been posted, except black being fastest.

Spyder Garage

welcome Enjoy your new ryde and ryde safe.
    "Happy Spyder Owner"
    2010 RTS PE 0174

Custom Plates & paint,
    ESI Triple play,mud flap lights,Fender tips/amber,Green Filter,Dayrunner/turn signals,Shortee Antenna,Scuff Guards,LED Brake Lights & 2 in 1 Harness,Brightsides & rear,Glo-ryders/amber,Kewlmetal inside trunk lightz,Garmin 660,Garmin Hood,Volt Meter & Oil Pressure Gauge,Utopia Backrest,IPS Key,ISCI Brake Pedal,Dual side/tall flag poles,SPYDERPOPS Heat Guard

http://www.farriscustoms.com

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

welcome

Spyder Garage

Just make sure you get the extended warranty!

Enjoy! welcome

Quote Originally Posted by andys11907 View Post