Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2 Spyders down for about a month.

Well I stopped by the dealership today to check out our Spyder engines and front pulleys. I got bad news almost immediately as they said they heard from BRP that the engine gasket kits won't be shipping to the dealership until late November. Its been cold lately so we won't be missing too much pleasure riding and we got a second used car two weekends ago so we can both get back and forth to work.

My Spyder just had the belt off and the front pulley removed but dltang's had the engine taken out and the clutch side cover removed. My output shaft was chewed up a bit and the pulley was quite sloppy on it. The tech told me that dltang's engine was going to be torn apart even further as he found a strange looking piece of metal stuck to the magnet on the oil plug and BRP OK'ed him to tear into the engine to find out what it came from. He took off the clutch cover to see if the little piece came from in there somewhere but there wasn't anything that looked like it was broken there. He said he's waiting to tear it apart any more until the gasket sets come in so he has a better chance of remember exactly how and where everthing goes and to minimize the time that more of the engine internals are exposed. Here's a few pics of what I saw today.

My Spyder

Deb's Spyder sans engine

The engine

Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

How very, very sad. I feel your pain! Hang tough!!! If either of you needs a fix, c'mon over and take a ride.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

You are half way there. Have the dealer replace the motors with Sea-doo 225 hp ones.

The quickest trip to Gatlinburg ever on a Spyder..LOL

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

At least is cold outside....on yours, the main shaft is looking good, so a front pulley replaced and you have the Spyder back.
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I wouldn't want to see my spyder like this... it would break my heart!
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

bjt, hope your's and dltang's spyder wont' be too much longer in the shop.
    Have to agree with Bersquack, It would break my heart also.
    Keep us posted.

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

You two have been wonderful test pilots for the Spyder and to see them in this condition must be really hard. You have had good words for Nord Ride and I hope that they come through for you again. Good Luck.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

What the hell am I getting into?Those photos looked terrible.Two from the same garage means that more bad news is on the way.I feel so bad for both of you.Besides the investment I would feel betrayed by my judgment for having seen anything in those metal carcasses.

The pics remind me of the $89 China trash pump that worked for 1 day.Scuse the rant but those Spyders don't look like $16000 to me.

signed,ready to cancel,
    wolfshead1

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    At least is cold outside....on yours, the main shaft is looking good, so a front pulley replaced and you have the Spyder back.

The pic doesn't show it well but there are small chunks missing from the main shaft splines and a few of the edges are rounded over. I'm told the shaft is getting replaced.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead1 View Post
    What the hell am I getting into?Those photos looked terrible.Two from the same garage means that more bad news is on the way.I feel so bad for both of you.Besides the investment I would feel betrayed by my judgment for having seen anything in those metal carcasses.

The pics remind me of the $89 China trash pump that worked for 1 day.Scuse the rant but those Spyders don't look like $16000 to me.

signed,ready to cancel,
    wolfshead1

I think it has to do more with two Spyder that were built very close to the same time with very similar miles on them (one just under 25,000 and the other just over 25,000). Though I don't like having both Spyders in for a major repair, I don't regret the decision to buy them and I have confidence in the service tech and manager to get them back up and running. Also, I'm glad it happened after 2.5 years of riding instead of at 5.5 years (when the Best warranty would be expired). I'm guessing this would be a high dollar repair if I had to pay.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big Arm View Post
    bjt, hope your's and dltang's spyder wont' be too much longer in the shop.
    Have to agree with Bersquack, It would break my heart also.
    Keep us posted.

I'm not expecting them until the end of November or early December. They said the engine gasket set won't even be in until the end of November (backordered from BRP).

Spyder Garage

Really sorry to hear about your problems--- but I don't think it has to do with them being built at a certain time, etc.

They are mechanical beasts--- and are prone to mechanical problems. How you ride and how others ride are different - so comparing them to someone who rides all the time in the south may not be a fair comparison.

Not sure about deb's but yours looks like it has some rust damage on the pulley/shaft-- and I know you guys are pretty die-hard about riding in any weather. Perhaps snow-riding is a bit too rough on these? I know Nick is on engine #3 ---- and we all know he's crazy and rides in the snow too.....??

As far as having this happen during the 'BEST' time---- pretty sure you can just renew the BEST at 5 years and keep having full coverage.

At least the weather has been crap lately... I have not ridden since I got back from TN.

Great pics---- keep us posted.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    ... but I don't think it has to do with them being built at a certain time, etc.
    Working in an industrial manufacturing environment, I've seen many instances of getting entire batches of defective parts. That was what I was kind of leaning on when I mentioned that they were built during the same time. Also, according to the service manager, BRP may be questioning the metal composition of the front pulley. I guess ours aren't the first Spyders to have the front pulley experience this type of failure.

Spyder Garage

At least the weather has been crap lately....
    No joke! The snowflakes flying through the air this morning were discouraging. October is running nine degrees below normal here, and that usually predicts a mean winter to follow. Guess we've seen most of our riding for this season. You're in good company, Brian and Deb.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead1 View Post

signed,ready to cancel,
    wolfshead1
    Guess I don't understand where you're coming from. Does anything look good when torn apart? Heck --- ever see women without face paint?
    http://allwomenstalk.com/35-shocking...ithout-makeup/

Why would you feel 'betrayed' by your judgement? It's covered under warranty - so it will be fixed. It's a machine - they break.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    No joke! The snowflakes flying through the air this morning were discouraging. October is running nine degrees below normal here, and that usually predicts a mean winter to follow. Guess we've seen most of our riding for this season. You're in good company, Brian and Deb.
    Yeah---- where's global warming when we NEED it?

Spyder Garage

Yeah---- where's global warming when we NEED it?
    I'll ask Al Gore the next time I run into him.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about your Spyders. But at least, like you said, it's cold there and less joy riding in cold, wet weather.

Snowing here tonight - not sticking but big white flakes.

I don't know, I like my Spyder and I know all things break but these things just scare me. It's like they got ya by parts being backordered for such a long time, the BUDS system that is Top Secret, the price of the extended warranty. And there's where they make their cash - keeping that system under lock and key so you pretty much have to spend the cashola on extended warranty cuz who else is gonna hook up your Spyder - only a BRP tech and it gets hooked up right to the mother ship.

I just don't know anymore. Wish it was like a Harley where there are no onboard computers that could go on the fritz and where it takes just some wrenches and stuff to fix.

Wish I knew this before. But I like my Spyder - they just sometimes reminded me of a high maintenance pet - like those poodles you see being carried around in Gucci bags and stuff.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bersquack View Post
    I wouldn't want to see my spyder like this... it would break my heart!

Same here!!

Hope everything works out for you and your spyder!
    "Happy Spyder Owner"
    2010 RTS PE 0174

Custom Plates & paint,
    ESI Triple play,mud flap lights,Fender tips/amber,Green Filter,Dayrunner/turn signals,Shortee Antenna,Scuff Guards,LED Brake Lights & 2 in 1 Harness,Brightsides & rear,Glo-ryders/amber,Kewlmetal inside trunk lightz,Garmin 660,Garmin Hood,Volt Meter & Oil Pressure Gauge,Utopia Backrest,IPS Key,ISCI Brake Pedal,Dual side/tall flag poles,SPYDERPOPS Heat Guard

http://www.farriscustoms.com

Spyder Garage

OK, HDX calmed me down after my little rant about the being like a high maintenance pet.....

I said to him - your HD doesn't have to be connected to a mother ship to be fixed and he told me not like the Spyder but if his speedo goes, then it does. HD has a BUDS system too but it's called something else. So for some things, yes, HD has to be connected to the mother ship.

And he said good idea to buy the warranty if things like wheel bearings are going and like you guys getting your s torn apart. He did say that BRP has a million parts they had to buy to make these things and since it's a new product, things are bound to go wrong and maybe they learned their lesson not to buy any more cheap cr@p from China or other third world countries.

So I feel better now

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Smylinacha View Post
    ...He did say that BRP has a million parts they had to buy to make these things and since it's a new product, things are bound to go wrong and maybe they learned their lesson not to buy any more cheap cr@p from China or other third world countries.

So I feel better now

We can only hope... sad fact is the almighty dollar will win out more times than not and manufacturers will continue to try and find the lowest cost parts to make their products (often times they continue to sell the product at the same retail price, good for the CEOs and the shareholders but bad for the end user).

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I'll ask Al Gore the next time I run into him.
    +1

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    I'm not expecting them until the end of November or early December. They said the engine gasket set won't even be in until the end of November (backordered from BRP).
    When H-D runs into this and sometimes they do they will pull part or set from back of the production line I know first hand and it has been done twice for me

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BumbleBee View Post
    Same here!!

Hope everything works out for you and your spyder!

I agree, those spyders look so bad as if they were from a junkyard not, a 2 year bike. I hope mine wouldnt look like this in two or three years. I am already thinking I will try to get any salvage value I could from the spyder, in a couple of years and buy another bike its name starts with an H.

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

2 months and running for parts and GASKETS..That in itself would give me a heart attack.