Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default BUELL closing ???

is this a yoke only ??
    http://www.buell.com/en_us/
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Looks real to me - how sad - what a loss for American motorcycle innovation and technology.
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Spyder Garage

I am sorry to hear about Buell. My prayers go out to the employees and their families.
    David
    McKinney, TX

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Very sad indeed!
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Wow-- yeah--- it's for real.

I give credit to Erik posting a video like he did-- that's the right way to do it.

Bummer.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Default sounds like . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    is this a yoke only ??
    http://www.buell.com/en_us/
    . . . . . HD decided to kill Buell. That was my take-away from the statement and Q&A. Sad. The motorcycle market could use a lot more diversity instead of herding the "market" to just one style of bike or one 'style' of riding.

My following statement probably won't sit well with the HD contingency here, but this is just another (corporate) step in converting THE rebel brand into a bunch of clones for the suburban biker who wants/needs a bada** image.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

It's the for real. HD included it in their 3rd quarter financial report. Not a big surprise really considering they never went out of their way to market the Buell.

Also up on the chopping block is MV Agusta. HD has decided to sell that brand after having acquired it not too long ago.
    "I'm the only hell my mama ever raised"

Spyder Garage

I fail to uderstand why they didn't try to sell it off. This is much more complex than simple economy, I suspect.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

While the Buell design, engineering and performance were noteworthy, it is very hard to stay in business when your market share does not rise to noteworthy levels. With less than 1% of the bike market, they are like Saturn is (was) to the auto market.

Spyder Garage

Default Agreed . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I fail to understand why they didn't try to sell it off. This is much more complex than simple economy, I suspect.
    . . . . it has lots of sides to it. I would not be surprised if they did try and sell it off, but could not find a buyer that would not end up being more competition. And just straightening out the licensing on the technology would be a nightmare and like so many companies today, without the over head of actually making anything, there could be significant income from licensing.

My limited experience with the HD/Buell combination was that it was a failed market expansion - one that the rank and file in HD never "got" and therefore, could never reap any benefits from. Mismanagement of growth, resources, vision, execution or assets - - - - probably all the above. I know the big local HD shop would not allow any of the Buell models on the floor with the "real rides". You had to go outside to see them and on 4 different trips, not one salesman ever went with me after pointing the way, while on the floor, it is not uncommon to see a couple of salesmen and their assistants 'hanging' with a HD (pigeon) customer.

Sad for what it says about HD, the industry in general, and the future of motorcycling.

Tom

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPjunkie View Post
    While the Buell design, engineering and performance were noteworthy, it is very hard to stay in business when your market share does not rise to noteworthy levels. With less than 1% of the bike market, they are like Saturn is (was) to the auto market.
    Just out of curiosity, what is the market share of the Spyder?
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Very sad but not surprising. Hard to compete with the big four in their turf. Maybe HD refocus on developing the leaning Harley trike:

3D
    Today is a good day to ride!
    owner!

[x]- Gun rack
    [x]- Helmet-mounted fire extingusher and DPS deactivation hammer
    [x]- Large print (senior version) safety card

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3wheeldemon View Post
    Very sad but not surprising. Hard to compete with the big four in their turf. Maybe HD refocus on developing the leaning Harley trike:

3D
    I have been drooling at those images for two years and if it becomes reality, I may very well sell my spyder for one of those.
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Hey, I'm a Moto Guzzi nut. Our slogan is:

"Moto Guzzi--going out of business since 1921!"

1% US market share would be a step UP for us!!

But the bikes (and the Guzzi folks) are great! Just the best kept secret in motorcycling...
    John Wells
    Hollidaysburg, PA

Spyder Garage

My wife is looking at a used Buell Blast for her first bike. What do you think this will do to prices? What do think will happen with service and support?

2009 Yellow SM5 with BRP R35 saddlebags, CHAD windshield, ESI Up & Out Mirror Extensions, ESI 4" Handlebar Risers, Hindle muffler, Green Filter, Juice Box Pro, Throttlemeister, Crampbuster, Cortech Sport Tailbag, trunk liner, trunk spring, 12V trunk outlet, Eastern Beaver PC8 Fuse Panel, and two dashboard Powerlet outlets.

Certified Huligan
    The user formerly known as GIJoe

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what is the market share of the Spyder?
    Doesn't register yet, but BRP is counting on the aging market and design of the Spyder to create a new market segment. Below are the MC market shares of the approximately 1 million units per year. Interesting also are the ATV statistics where BRP is last, but they are a relative newcomer to that market. Unlike Buell, BRP has snowmobiles, PWCs, ATVs and boats to help new product launches. Selling a line of products with different markets, uses and seasons spreads costs and risks. Buell didn't have that going for it. That doesn't explain BMW, Triumph or Ducati.

Motorcycles
    HD = 28%
    Honda = 25%
    Yamaha = 17%
    Suzuki = 13%
    Kawasaki = 11%
    KTM = 2%
    BMW = 1%
    Triumph = 1%
    Ducati = 1%

ATVs
    Honda = 30%
    Yamaha = 20%
    Polaris = 20%
    Suzuki = 11%
    Kawasaki = 9%
    Arctic Cat = 7%
    BRP = 3%

Spyder Garage

Doesn't register yet, but BRP is counting on the aging market and design of the Spyder to create a new market segment. Below are the MC market shares of the approximately 1 million units per year. Interesting also are the ATV statistics where BRP is last, but they are a relative newcomer to that market. Unlike Buell, BRP has snowmobiles, PWCs, ATVs and boats to help new product launches. Selling a line of products with different markets, uses and seasons spreads costs and risks. Buell didn't have that going for it. That doesn't explain BMW, Triumph or Ducati.
    Thanks for the info. Very interesting. A total of million bikes a year would make the Spyder about a tenth of a percent. Pretty low, but far exceeding the 1,500 units (0.15%) a year BRP initially anticipated. They exceeded their goals, and came out with a new model in just two years, so they must be happy. BMW, Triumph, and Ducati are pretty much expensive niche bikes in this country, I'm afraid. Their dealer networks make BRP's Spyder network seem positively robust, by comparison. Let's hope that there is more than simple economics involved in the demise of Buell, and that nothing else, including the Spyder, follows suit.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default My guess is UP . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by GIJoe View Post
    My wife is looking at a used Buell Blast for her first bike. What do you think this will do to prices? What do think will happen with service and support?
    . . . . Scotty will be buying dozens for his museum.

Tom

Spyder Garage

Default surprised

That doesn't explain BMW, Triumph or Ducati.

Motorcycles
    HD = 28%
    Honda = 25%
    Yamaha = 17%
    Suzuki = 13%
    Kawasaki = 11%
    KTM = 2%
    BMW = 1%
    Triumph = 1%
    Ducati = 1%
    I would never have guess KTM would be on this list - let alone above the bottom 3. A tribute to the power of dirt and testosterone.

Tom

Spyder Garage

Not all HD riders are like that - HDX & Roaddog aren't like that, all my friends who ride Harley's aren't like that and they don't like the ones that buy them now - all a bunch of wanna be bad a$$es who in all reality are only rich white collar wanna be bad a$$es. Look at the gear they sell now - it's all metro lookin! LOL!

And the ones I see ride in shiney new leather, looks like they ironed their chaps w/ a nice little crease in them. Never see a scuffed boot or helmet - it's really quite comical but guess what - Harley makes their cash off people like this. It's unfortunate but it's the truth.

Glad I hang out with REAL bad a$$es. They can tell ya stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in NM View Post
    . . . . . HD decided to kill Buell. That was my take-away from the statement and Q&A. Sad. The motorcycle market could use a lot more diversity instead of herding the "market" to just one style of bike or one 'style' of riding.

My following statement probably won't sit well with the HD contingency here, but this is just another (corporate) step in converting THE rebel brand into a bunch of clones for the suburban biker who wants/needs a bada** image.

Tom

Spyder Garage

I would like to see that happen but I betchya it would cost alot

Quote Originally Posted by 3wheeldemon View Post

3D

Spyder Garage

Dang so if I get a Ducati I can be a 1%'er - now that would be cool!

Motorcycles
    HD = 28%
    Honda = 25%
    Yamaha = 17%
    Suzuki = 13%
    Kawasaki = 11%
    KTM = 2%
    BMW = 1%
    Triumph = 1%
    Ducati = 1%

ATVs
    Honda = 30%
    Yamaha = 20%
    Polaris = 20%
    Suzuki = 11%
    Kawasaki = 9%
    Arctic Cat = 7%
    BRP = 3%

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Smylinacha View Post
    Dang so if I get a Ducati I can be a 1%'er - now that would be cool!
    I know a guy who has had two Ducatis and according to him, if we think Spyder techs are bad, try finding a good Ducati Desmo wrench.

Spyder Garage

Yeah, in CT there aren't many

I know a guy who has had two Ducatis and according to him, if we think Spyder techs are bad, try finding a good Ducati Desmo wrench.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by HDXBONES View Post
    maybe the Spyder can have the 1125cc now......
    Was talking to Bob about that he asked in Washington they told him it was built to H-D specs and they could do the
    engine better so you never now what's down the Pike