Spyder Garage

Default Spyder is back, healthy

Just wanted to update everyone on the issue with my wife's Spyder, after it threw a DPS fault and went into Limp mode with 22 miles on odometer last Sunday.

Jim from Rte. 3A Motors called Monday morning and told me a truck was on its way to pick up the bike. Truck showed up around 1:30, took the Spyder. I called Jim just after 5pm, but all the service people had just gone home, so no info yet. Tuesday morning, Todd, the Service Mgr. called and said that he had spoken to BRP and had tracked the problem down to the steering being more than 3 degrees out of alignment, which caused the fault. It was pouring rain on Tuesday, so that made it hard to do a roadtest. First thing Wednesday morning, Todd called me back and said they made the fixes, put 30 miles on the bike to make sure no more errors came up, and all was well. Not only that, the bike was back on the truck and pulling out of the lot to head back to my home.

So, now the bike is back, and it's in the garage until Saturday, which I think will be the first opportunity and weather-compatible day to ride.

Rte. 3A Motors did a bang-up job taking care of me quickly and making things right.

Keith
    Last edited by kravnh; 10-15-2009 at 12:05 PM. Reason: spellcheck changed "roadtest" to "readiest"
    2009 SE5 , Yellow

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool

though I hate people riding my machines a good test ride let's them no if they realey fixed it or not glad they helped you out

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddog2 View Post
    though I hate people riding my machines a good test ride let's them no if they realey fixed it or not glad they helped you out
    I'm with you about letting people ride my machines, but in this case, I not only sanctioned it, I requested it. The last thing I wanted was for them to put a mile on the bike, say all is well, and then I get another error after putting 15 or 20 miles on it.

Keith
    2009 SE5 , Yellow

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that things got resolved quickly.
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that it all worked out.
    David
    McKinney, TX

Spyder Garage

Thank you for your positive outlook, despite what must have been a horrible disappointment, and for posting a thorough follow up. We get plenty of whining these days about BRP and various dealers, but few take the time to come back and say something positive. Your dealer sounds like a stand-up guy...and you're not too bad yourself. Enjoy the Ryde.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Thank you for your positive outlook, despite what must have been a horrible disappointment, and for posting a thorough follow up. We get plenty of whining these days about BRP and various dealers, but few take the time to come back and say something positive. Your dealer sounds like a stand-up guy...and you're not too bad yourself. Enjoy the Ryde.

And I would add; "We told you so!" The vast number of postings on your 1st thread were of the 'don't worry, your dealer will get right on it' variety.

Sorry you and your wife had the experience you did, but now you KNOW your dealer is there for you. You should be able to ride with a lot more confidence.

If only he could do something about the weather . . . . . .

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Nice to hear a good result

I know how disappointed you must have been, when I first picked my and ran it out of gas after 63 miles, lucky for me I was within 100 yards from a gas station and clutch in and a slight push for the last few yards got me to the pump. Upon starting it I got the message " Limp Mode" and I felt really bad. I had just 8 miles to go before I got home so I took it easy and went home feeling very sad about the situation.

I called my dealer (who unfortunatley is no longer selling Spyders) and they were going to arrange to pick it up the next day. After a restless sleep thinking about this issue I started up the early in the morn and NO limp home mode showed? I quickly took it for a ride and after 40 miles and several stops switching it off and on it appeared OK so I called the dealer and cancelled them comming out. When I took it in for the first service they connected it to the system and it did not show anything out of the ordinary, go figure.

It is great to hear positive items these days, as Scotty remarked, some are quick to blame for almost anything and my then dealer was always responsive with any questions I threw at them. Nice post and follow up, thanks for that........

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in NM View Post
    The vast number of postings on your 1st thread were of the 'don't worry, your dealer will get right on it' variety.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpyderRider2492 View Post
    I know how disappointed you must have been...
    Tom, Barry,

My wife and I were both pretty Zen about it when it happened. Of course it was disappointing, but we didn't want to get worked up about anything unless and until we had a reason to. I had no cause to believe that my dealer wouldn't take care of me - I just made the call, told them what was up, and let them handle it from there. They were great. All you guys on this forum did assure me that I would be taken care of, and I was.

I am pleased to have a dependable dealer, and a great bunch of folks to talk to here on the forums. Let's meet up for a ride someday!

Keith
    2009 SE5 , Yellow

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kravnh View Post
    Tuesday morning, Todd, the Service Mgr. called and said that he had spoken to BRP and had tracked the problem down to the steering being more than 3 degrees out of alignment, which caused the fault. Keith
    IMHO they did not properly install the Update #1 (part of that is "zero-in" the steering alignment).
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Default 3A thumbs up

Glad that all is well with your spyder. I was at 3A on Tuesday for the update to the update and my Spyder continues to run well...

Looks like Tuesday/Weds next week may be good riding days...Let's plan a "breakfast run" to a favorite diner....maybe the Early Bird in Plaistow??
    VERY HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

2009 Full Moon SE5 - trunk liner, 12 v, fog lights, Calsci large windshield, 4" NMN Risers,
    KURY ISO grips, throttleboss, KM mirror extensions, KM highway brackets with KURY ISO wings,
    Corbin Bags, saddles, Smuggler trunk, BRP Outdoor Cover, Zumo 550