Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    Waited the time the dealership service manager told me, then called back down there yesterday. They have not received the final replacement pulley parts, and they can't give me any estimate when they will get them.

Looks like another case of, "Don't call me, I will call you."

"For want of a shoe, the horse was lost. For want of a horse, the rider was lost. For want of a rider, the battle was lost. For want of a battle, the kingdom was lost, And all for the want of a horseshoe nail.”
    when I got my recall done in April 2023, I was in for a NC safety inspection. They ordered a sprocket recall with my VIN #, and 2 weeks order time, then brought it back in. so maybe your dealership is just putting you OFF??
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    I don’t know what “recall” document you are referring to, Mik, but the official BRP safety recall process from September 29, 2022, specifically references both the spacer and Loctite. The Loctite cure time is not included in the 1 hour specified as that hour is labour cost time for which the dealer is reimbursed. The Loctite cure time is not.

Warranty Bulletin #2019-10 rev 1 September29,2022
    Required parts, front sprocket kit, (includes washer)219800553 needed 1
    listed as screw 250001017 needed 1
    use loctite 609 or 603 torque to 111 lbf-ft +-4
    No cure time listed.

Just some food for thought - It’s great that you and Herm are OK with the No Loctite fix, and I am sure he knows what he is doing, but if for some reason those sprockets that Herm is fixing with grease, moly and yellow Loctite fail at an in opportune time, I don’t think you will get ANY support from BRP (or your insurer) as the sprocket fix was not performed as per the Safety Recall guidelines.

Pete
    The text regarding the recall was taken from the US Can Am website.

Herm is a certified BRP mechanic at a BRP(Can Am dealership) and I'm not worried about the possibility of faiure support from BRP, which would likely be non existant, even if a specific recall procedure (if there is one) was followed to the letter. There is no scenario I can think of that my insurer would provide any compensation for a "sprocket failure". Failure for the drive system woukd likely be loosening of the sprocket on the output shaft and would hopefully be felt/heard by a careful observant rider.

I have read of some situations where the sprocket spines were stripped off some of the older sprocket designs, leading to a no drive condition. I wonder if anything was felt, or heard prior to the full spline faiure. I plan on adding a step to my oil change check list to check the torque on the sprocket..

Spyder daily driver - 2015 F3S magnesium - grocery getter
    BajaRon swaybar, Shad sidecases and Givi top case with Admore kits, adjustable brake rod, LaMonster LED headlights, Stebel Nautilus, Zumo 396, FOBO TPMS, F4 Customs windscreen and bump skid
    Front Tires - 175/55R-15 Yokohama AVID S34FA SL
    Rear - General Altima RT45

Spyder touring buddy (White-Whale) - 2018 RTL pearlescent white - set up for touring and local dates with SWMBO.
    LaMonster LED headlights, Stebel Nautilus, Zumo 396, Spyder cuff, FOBO TPMS, driver adjustable backrest, rear view mirror LED turn signals, and Eastern Beaver PC-8R fuse box. Baja Ron Ultra Sway Bar on the way.

Front Tires - Stock Kendas
    Rear - General Altima RT45

Other motorcycle transport - 2010 Honda NT700VA Deauville and assorted vintage Japanese bikes

Spyder Garage

Between the Loctite on the bolt and paste, glue, whatever you want to call it on the sprocket, I don't really know if I would keep on trying to check the torque. I would put a tic mark on the bolt and sprocket to make sure it stays where it was put! Just my 2cents for what it's worth!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Now that old school.
    I go and buy a bottle of nail varnish every now and again.
    Pop some dots on all torqued and essential bolts. 1 on the bolt and another beside it on the frame of fitting.
    You can see with a glance if it has moved or ticketyboo.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    when I got my recall done in April 2023, I was in for a NC safety inspection. They ordered a sprocket recall with my VIN #, and 2 weeks order time, then brought it back in. so maybe your dealership is just putting you OFF??
    Could be, they are still saying they don't have the parts. I am still riding it and it is not bothering me. They gonna have to do it sooner or later. I have all the dates and phone call notes. If they putting it off, they are just piling up their own work.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

It looks like I'll be getting the recall sprocket this Friday (10/6). The dealer is firm on having to keep the F3 for 24 hours "to let the Locktite cure" so we'll have it back the next day. I think I'll be putting some paint pen dots on the sprocket and bolt as I don't really trust this dealer's Service Department.
    2017 F3T , Black, black and more black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyoldretiredcop View Post
    It looks like I'll be getting the recall sprocket this Friday (10/6). The dealer is firm on having to keep the F3 for 24 hours "to let the Locktite cure" so we'll have it back the next day. I think I'll be putting some paint pen dots on the sprocket and bolt as I don't really trust this dealer's Service Department.

Say Grumpy,

This wouldn't be the dealer in Reno that starts with an M would it??????

I've heard good and bad about them, and experienced both good and bad with the service guys. A friend of mine had his Spyder converted to a foot throttle (long story), and they did a great job.

BTW: BattleBorn Spyders are ryding this Sat. Check FB. or message me.

Lew L
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-06-2023 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

North Las Vegas, NV, Third Rock From The Sun
    Spyder Garage

Update to my post #388 on August 29th concerning my Safety Recall lack of service.

I've contacted an attorney out of frustration and tired of being b*ll-sh*ted by my dealer and BRP. I had one phone call with a BRP representative who refused to offer any reasonable solution to my dealer's excuses in servicing the Safety Recall on my 2018 RTL. After that phone call I received an email "survey" from BRP about the phone call. I replied to the survey in a not-very-happy manner, and then received another email from a person (I won't name the name in a public forum) with the signature title of "BRP Customer Service Team Leader". She said she had contacted (name of person at my dealer) and said that I was still #19 on the "waiting list" for the service, but the dealer HAD THE PARTS and was just "too busy" to get mine done yet. According to her, the dealer was "booked for the next 2.5 weeks" and was also busy servicing other customers other products they sold. And no mention was made of a date or time of when I could expect my Safety Recall service to be done. So...my dealer "has (enough of the) the parts" to perform my Safety Recall with me STILL being #19 on the waiting list, but they are "booked" for 2.5 weeks already, yet STILL won't give me a scheduled appointment that has NOW been over THREE weeks since they told me I was #20 on the list? THREE WEEKS is 21 days (18 working days for my dealer...they are closed on Sundays), and it takes a LOT less than a FULL DAY to do the Safety Recall service. Hell, I should ALREADY be at LEAST #3 on the list if they were doing only ONE Safety Recall service a day for the past 3 weeks. And as of today, they STILL haven't (or WON'T) give me a definite appointment. I'm supposed to believe that they can't allow even only ONE of their service technicians to do at least ONE BRP Safety Recall per business day (less than an hour's work?), without pissing off all their BOAT customers who are getting NON-SAFETY RECALL service on their boats? Hell of a business model.

Her "explanations" were in complete conflict with what my dealer had/has been telling me (see my referenced post at the top of this one). Either my dealer is lying to me, or BRP is lying to me, or BOTH of them are lying to me. And I can document it. Both I and my attorney have contacted the U.S. NHTSA to discuss my options about a dealer and company that cannot or WILL not service a Safety Recall in over a year now, up to and including the manufacturer buying back the vehicle at an appropriate cost to them (with any associated expenses I may have also incurred during this fiasco). I have (at my attorney's recommendation and review) sent a final "personal" email from me to BRP seeking a final solution to this fiasco, and have stated that if it can't be resolved within the next 30 days my attorney will begin legal proceedings.

I'm fed up with this BS. My dealer is BS-ing me. It appears BRP may also be BS-ing me. I'm not putting up with it anymore. And God help them if they DO do the service and I "discover" after it was done that it was "short-cutted" in any way other than complying with the BRP Safety Recall Instructions provided to the servicing dealers.
    Last edited by FalconAF; 10-03-2023 at 03:16 PM.
    2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    Say Grumpy,

This wouldn't be the dealer in Reno that starts with an M would it??????

I've heard good and bad about them, and experienced both good and bad with the service guys. A friend of mine had his Spyder converted to a foot throttle (long story), and they did a great job.

BTW: BattleBorn Spyders are ryding this Sat. Check FB. or message me.

Lew L
    Lew,

Yes, it is, as I didn't want to have to take it down to Sacramento. They've treated me OK the last time I was in... except for the small detail that I needed to bring it back for the actual replacement. <shrug> They called me this afternoon to let me know that I can pick it up on Saturday and I have an appointment on Saturday afternoon so no ride for me except the ride home.

Interesting that now they aren't insisting on 24 hours, just overnight.

Glen
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-06-2023 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display; + ' 's ;-)
    2017 F3T , Black, black and more black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FalconAF View Post
    Update to my post #388 on August 29th concerning my Safety Recall lack of service.

I've contacted an attorney out of frustration and tired of being b*ll-sh*ted by my dealer and BRP. I had one phone call with a BRP representative who refused to offer any reasonable solution to my dealer's excuses in servicing the Safety Recall on my 2018 RTL. After that phone call I received an email "survey" from BRP about the phone call. I replied to the survey in a not-very-happy manner, and then received another email from a person (I won't name the name in a public forum) with the signature title of "BRP Customer Service Team Leader". She said she had contacted (name of person at my dealer) and said that I was still #19 on the "waiting list" for the service, but the dealer HAD THE PARTS and was just "too busy" to get mine done yet. According to her, the dealer was "booked for the next 2.5 weeks" and was also busy servicing other customers other products they sold. And no mention was made of a date or time of when I could expect my Safety Recall service to be done. So...my dealer "has (enough of the) the parts" to perform my Safety Recall with me STILL being #19 on the waiting list, but they are "booked" for 2.5 weeks already, yet STILL won't give me a scheduled appointment that has NOW been over THREE weeks since they told me I was #20 on the list? THREE WEEKS is 21 days (18 working days for my dealer...they are closed on Sundays), and it takes a LOT less than a FULL DAY to do the Safety Recall service. Hell, I should ALREADY be at LEAST #3 on the list if they were doing only ONE Safety Recall service a day for the past 3 weeks. And as of today, they STILL haven't (or WON'T) give me a definite appointment. I'm supposed to believe that they can't allow even only ONE of their service technicians to do at least ONE BRP Safety Recall per business day (less than an hour's work?), without pissing off all their BOAT customers who are getting NON-SAFETY RECALL service on their boats? Hell of a business model.

Her "explanations" were in complete conflict with what my dealer had/has been telling me (see my referenced post at the top of this one). Either my dealer is lying to me, or BRP is lying to me, or BOTH of them are lying to me. And I can document it. Both I and my attorney have contacted the U.S. NHTSA to discuss my options about a dealer and company that cannot or WILL not service a Safety Recall in over a year now, up to and including the manufacturer buying back the vehicle at an appropriate cost to them (with any associated expenses I may have also incurred during this fiasco). I have (at my attorney's recommendation and review) sent a final "personal" email from me to BRP seeking a final solution to this fiasco, and have stated that if it can't be resolved within the next 30 days my attorney will begin legal proceedings.

I'm fed up with this BS. My dealer is BS-ing me. It appears BRP may also be BS-ing me. I'm not putting up with it anymore. And God help them if they DO do the service and I "discover" after it was done that it was "short-cutted" in any way other than complying with the BRP Safety Recall Instructions provided to the servicing dealers.
    In all of your posts Rick, you haven't said if your sprocket is showing signs of rust! And I guess you're not mechanically inclined to work on anything, that's too bad! If you had a friend who was, possibly you could get the stuff from your dealer and do it yourself, if you're showing signs of rust. If you're not showing any signs of it, ride on. The dealer you're stuck with obviously doesn't like doing recall work for whatever reason and is blowing you off in the hopes of you going elsewhere, and to be quite frank, now that you have got a lawyer in the soup, I don't think he will ever do the job for you! Sorry to hear you're having bad luck with this dealer, if you were closer to me I would change the darn thing for you!! Good Luck!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-10-2023 at 11:16 PM. Reason: 're ; ' 's; + ... ;-)
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

The recall has to be done by a Can Am shop or the recall will not be cleared from that VIN number. You could change it yourself, and probably do a better job than the dealership, but it would still have an uncompleted recall on the VIN number when you tried to trade or sell it.

I am tired of waiting on them too, and I have already looked into doing it myself. Getting the parts is also a problem.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    The recall has to be done by a Can Am shop or the recall will not be cleared from that VIN number. You could change it yourself, and probably do a better job than the dealership, but it would still have an uncompleted recall on the VIN number when you tried to trade or sell it.

I am tired of waiting on them too, and I have already looked into doing it myself. Getting the parts is also a problem.
    You just keep all your paperwork and slips, shouldn't be a big deal, like you said, you'll in most cases do a better job!!!! Good Luck!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

North Las Vegas, NV, Third Rock From The Sun
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    In all of your posts Rick, you haven't said if your sprocket is showing signs of rust! And I guess you're not mechanically inclined to work on anything, that's too bad! ...
    Whether or not someone who buys a $20K+ vehicle is "mechanically inclined" or not to do a SAFETY RECALL service on it is NOT the issue. If THAT is how the law works, then ALL of us should quit buying products from businesses who will only provide that "level" of service after the sale. This issue is nowhere near the same as something like, "Well, the worst that might happen is the turn signal bulb might burn out, so just keep riding it and you'll PROBABLY be OK." It is...and always has been...the recommendation of BRP that AT LEAST the DEALER do a SAFETY INSPECTION of the sprocket until they can get the parts. THEY should be looking to check for "red rust"...NOT ME. My dealer has refused to (said the same "We are too busy...") even do THAT since January. I'm not a mechanic. I'm not "certified" to do ANY kind of SAFETY RECALL service to prevent a product from possibly breaking and causing injury or (in this case) even death to someone. That is the purpose of a SAFETY RECALL...to get a QUALIFIED SERVICE TECHNICIAN to repair the darned issue on a purchased product from the manufacturer.

I've been sociable about this issue since last January when my dealer said THEN "We can't get the parts from BRP in a timely manner, but we'll put you on the service list and call you in April." They never called. I didn't "bother" them then because of my cancer diagnosis in February and treatments through most of August. They STILL never called between April through August. And in August BRP themselves sends me TWO more notices saying "You haven't had the Safety Recall service done yet. CONTACT YOUR DEALER." Shortly after that (when I could start riding again) I DID that, and my dealer said they STILL didn't have the parts and I'm STILL #20 on the list. I called BRP and BRP told me the dealer HAS THE PARTS, but the dealer STILL won't give me an appointment date and time.

And NOW the most recent contact from BRP said, "We have no control over our dealers and their service schedules and cannot force them to make any appointments." That's a hell of an answer about a SAFETY RECALL that could get the rider killed if the repair is not done.

Another "brush-off" from BRP. More non-cooperation from my dealer (I STILL don't have an appointment, but BRP says the dealer HAS THE PARTS).

Who's still lying?

Gonna find out if my Spyder isn't Safety Recall serviced by the end of the month. The clock is ticking.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-10-2023 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)
    2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FalconAF View Post
    Whether or not someone who buys a $20K+ vehicle is "mechanically inclined" or not to do a SAFETY RECALL service on it is NOT the issue. If THAT is how the law works, then ALL of us should quit buying products from businesses who will only provide that "level" of service after the sale. This issue is nowhere near the same as something like, "Well, the worst that might happen is the turn signal bulb might burn out, so just keep riding it and you'll PROBABLY be OK." It is...and always has been...the recommendation of BRP that AT LEAST the DEALER do a SAFETY INSPECTION of the sprocket until they can get the parts. THEY should be looking to check for "red rust"...NOT ME. My dealer has refused to (said the same "We are too busy...") even do THAT since January. I'm not a mechanic. I'm not "certified" to do ANY kind of SAFETY RECALL service to prevent a product from possibly breaking and causing injury or (in this case) even death to someone. That is the purpose of a SAFETY RECALL...to get a QUALIFIED SERVICE TECHNICIAN to repair the darned issue on a purchased product from the manufacturer.

I've been sociable about this issue since last January when my dealer said THEN "We can't get the parts from BRP in a timely manner, but we'll put you on the service list and call you in April." They never called. I didn't "bother" them then because of my cancer diagnosis in February and treatments through most of August. They STILL never called between April through August. And in August BRP themselves sends me TWO more notices saying "You haven't had the Safety Recall service done yet. CONTACT YOUR DEALER." Shortly after that (when I could start riding again) I DID that, and my dealer said they STILL didn't have the parts and I'm STILL #20 on the list. I called BRP and BRP told me the dealer HAS THE PARTS, but the dealer STILL won't give me an appointment date and time.

And NOW the most recent contact from BRP said, "We have no control over our dealers and their service schedules and cannot force them to make any appointments." That's a hell of an answer about a SAFETY RECALL that could get the rider killed if the repair is not done.

Another "brush-off" from BRP. More non-cooperation from my dealer (I STILL don't have an appointment, but BRP says the dealer HAS THE PARTS).

Who's still lying?

Gonna find out if my Spyder isn't Safety Recall serviced by the end of the month. The clock is ticking.
    Good Luck with your lawyer, hope you get things all patched up!!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-11-2023 at 07:20 AM. Reason: lawer ... ;-)
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Has anybody had a look and noted or taken a photo of the the part number of the new replacement sprocket?
    Or can anybody have a look and advise the part number on their repaired F3? Mine is a 2017.

The number is cast into the LHS face beside the mounting bolt.

I have just gone through the 17 pages and failed to spot it, if its there.

Iso
    Last edited by Isopedella; 11-26-2023 at 11:46 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    Has anybody had a look and noted or taken a photo of the the part number of the new replacement sprocket?
    Or can anybody have a look and advise the part number on their repaired F3? Mine is a 2017.

The number is cast into the LHS face beside the mounting bolt.

I have just gone through the 17 pages and failed to spot it, if its there.

Iso
    I had my front sprocket replaced back in May 2023 , mine is a 17 RTL, this is what was put on
    IMG_3522.jpg
    2017 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic Chrome
    2017 RTL , Asphalt Grey Mettalic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Partzman23 View Post
    I had my front sprocket replaced back in May 2023 , mine is a 17 RTL, this is what was put on
    IMG_3522.jpg
    Thank you very much.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Partzman23 View Post
    IMG_3522.jpg
    I just did a Google search for the hell of it. That sprocket is either in short supply or BRP is restricting its issuance to dealers for the recall. The only hits I came up with were some forum discussions and a couple of eBay listings. No Google hits at all for any of the Can Am parts dealers we're used to seeing mentioned.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)