Hybrid View

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post
    I am very happy with the wet and dry traction of the tires but they may actually have a little bit too much traction at 16 lbs. I am still having the nanny kick in on certain maneuvers at lower speeds than the kendas.
    Both Peter and I like 15 to 17 front ( 17 if aggressive ) and 18 for rear ..... Traction is what PREVENTS you from sliding into the " pucker-brush " in the " twistie's " ..... good luck .... Mike

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Both Peter and I like 15 to 17 front ( 17 if aggressive ) and 18 for rear ..... Traction is what PREVENTS you from sliding into the " pucker-brush " in the " twistie's " ..... good luck .... Mike
    True but I have also found that the nanny kicking in at the "wrong time" for me is really screwing up my line especially when navigating tight twistie's.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

True but I have also found that the nanny kicking in at the "wrong time" for me is really screwing up my line especially when navigating tight twistie's.
    You could fiddle with your tire pressures a little more, aiming to get that 'ideal for the ambient temps & conditions facing my upcoming ride' on a daily basis rather than just using the one pressure to suit all the possible variations in ambient temps & conditions that you might meet, but if you do that, it's very easy to dive down the rabbit hole & end up chasing your own tail seeking the perfect pressure on each & every condition/variable change - and if you do that, you'll probably waste a whole lot of valuable ryding time making tiny changes while adjusting tire pressures instead of ryding! . For MOST conditions that MOST of us are likely to ride in, the lower pressures we usually use & recommend for car tires on Spyders are going to be pretty close to the ideal pressure for MOST of us, MOST of the time, so any 'fine tuning' of those pressure changes are going to be requiring changes of less than one psi or so.... and for MOST of us, adjusting pressures within that sort of range & to that sort of accuracy becomes an almost pointless exercise in futility while chasing our own tail.... or disappearing down a bottomless rabbit hole!

So if you've found that 16 psi works well MOST of the time for you, maybe you could try varying one or more or even any of the other things that might encourage Nanny intervention beyond just playing with the tire pressure?? . Possibly, you could brake a tad harder &/or earlier on the way in to each corner so that you knock a couple of mph off your cornering speed (yeah, silly thought I know, especially since once you get the hang of using the better braking & greater front end traction your Spyder has, you can leave pretty much every other road user in your dust thru the tight twisties... But hey, it works for some! ) Or if you don't want to do that, you could practice 'late apexing' each corner; &/or possibly work harder on pulling on your inside hand (rather than pushing with your outside hand ) so that you start to move your weight across to the inside of each corner a bit more/a bit earlier.... &/or you could even bend at the waist a bit more, get your weight over & in as your face gets a bit closer to your inside wrist, & really lean in to each corner; or if you want to get right into it, you could aim to 'kiss your wrist on the inside corner side' (that's only sorta metaphorically ) and maybe move your bum in & down off the inside edge of the seat a bit (or a lot! ) in order to bring your weight in & down low on the inside of the Spyder as you corner at or nearer to the Spyder's limit?? Doing any/all of that does tend to get the adrenaline going a bit more; but ridden harder & closer to their limits (limits that are well beyond those of most equally as well ridden 2-wheelers!) pushing a Spyder hard is not only faster it's a WHOLE LOT more exertion & physically engaging than riding a 2-wheeler as hard as you can!

It really comes down to how much you want to reduce those Nanny interventions &/or get into the groove of doing a perfect run....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-26-2022 at 11:16 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Hi Peter and Others:

Recently had a rear Quadratic installed on the rear after doing the fronts late last summer. There was a remarkable improvement on handling when I did the fronts, but the OEM rear still allowed me to dirt track sometimes around very sharp corners. Once the rear Quadratic went on that stopped. I am running 16 front and 18 rear as recommended. I found Nanny kicking on and a swishy feeling if I made a too sharp of a turn. I modified and smoothed out my turning (at least I think I did) and nanny is quieter but still comes on at times. I do feel like I am glued to the road and it is helping my riding and safety. A couple of months ago I was going to put on aftermarket shocks, at this point I am not sure it is necessary. I have gotten top-tier advice from people who know better about not only tires but other Spyder items. I will continue on the 16 FR/18 RR pressure and give it time for us to get used to each other.

I read in many posts the benefit of replacing the Kenda's - it is the truth! I am thankful for all the advice I get here.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimH View Post
    Hi Peter and Others:

Recently had a rear Quadratic installed on the rear after doing the fronts late last summer. There was a remarkable improvement on handling when I did the fronts, but the OEM rear still allowed me to dirt track sometimes around very sharp corners. Once the rear Quadratic went on that stopped. I am running 16 front and 18 rear as recommended. I found Nanny kicking on and a swishy feeling if I made a too sharp of a turn. I modified and smoothed out my turning (at least I think I did) and nanny is quieter but still comes on at times. I do feel like I am glued to the road and it is helping my riding and safety. A couple of months ago I was going to put on aftermarket shocks, at this point I am not sure it is necessary. I have gotten top-tier advice from people who know better about not only tires but other Spyder items. I will continue on the 16 FR/18 RR pressure and give it time for us to get used to each other.

I read in many posts the benefit of replacing the Kenda's - it is the truth! I am thankful for all the advice I get here.
    Jim, I ride aggressive in the " twistie's " also ..... I use 18 rear and 17 Fronts for that reason ..... I remember back when RADIAL tires started getting popular .... almost everyone Complained about the " squishy feeling " they gave.... Even tho the Spyders are much lighter..... They also will FEEL a bit squishy at times. .... Peter and I are FIRM believers in " tire science " which doesn't include any " Butts " other than Pro racers ..... I also recommend a BajaRon sway bar over changing Shocks/Springs. .... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I ride aggressive in the " twistie's " and do see the " nanny " flash at times ..... however, mostly She doesn't change the handling.... The Flash is only a brief warning telling me to correct my input ie. braking / steering etc. .... IMHO Nanny is your friend, also Traction is your friend. .... good luck .... Mike