Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Freddy ... welding was a thought - Sprocket and shaft being toast. I've seen the service bulletin reading 81 to 89 ft/lb for the bolt. I will phone the shop today and get a price on parts and labor. I will need to find the NEW belt tension specs also.
    I will scare you with a price later. Thank you both for the info. Have a great day and be safe.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-20-2022 at 06:21 AM. Reason: e' '. - e. ;-)
    2009 Roadster SM5 , Silver and Black

Spyder Garage

Well guys... I called the shop this morning - the sprocket is $173.39; the Shaft with seal is $397.29; The labor is 10 - 12 hours @ $105 per hour; plus any gaskets that are needed. Of course, the engine has to come out. Looking at just over $2200 plus.
    The welder is starting to look better and better. I think Freddy you said to put a new sprocket on, then weld it on??? Have to look at all my options.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-20-2022 at 06:23 AM. Reason: s' '. - s. ;-)
    2009 Roadster SM5 , Silver and Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Well guys... I called the shop this morning - the sprocket is $173.39; the Shaft with seal is $397.29; The labor is 10 - 12 hours @ $105 per hour; plus any gaskets that are needed. Of course, the engine has to come out. Looking at just over $2200 plus.
    The welder is starting to look better and better. I think Freddy you said to put a new sprocket on, then weld it on??? Have to look at all my options.
    I don't know that it was Freddy who did this, but certainly there have been some reports here on the Forum of this being done, and AFAIK there's been no followup reports of any issues....

Still, while it certainly does look as tho your Spyder's output shaft has taken a beating & is no longer in good nick, I can but wonder if it might not be a tad smarter to try just fitting a new sprocket first, albeit with the addition of some sort of filler/adhesive/shock resistant material to the mating splines?! . At least that way you stand a chance that it might work & it won't necessarily have forced you straight into an expensive strip down & replace job right off the bat?!? . That's always been one of the guidelines I've used for any bush mechanical work &/or dodgying up a fix that I've done (& there's been a lot of that! ) - Always try not to do anything irreversible on your first attempt!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-20-2022 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!