Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Some think I'm crazy

To ride work when the weather forecast is calling for 3 to 5 inches of rain, however we only received 2 1/2 inches today and who knows how much more tonight. At least I finally got to do a real test on the Frogg Toggs and they passed. Only a light shower going to work this morning, however coming home this afternoon every cage I met had their wiper going full (no delayed wipers) at all.
    Happy Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just a dedicated rider ?

spyderlover2

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Lee View Post
    To ride work when the weather forecast is calling for 3 to 5 inches of rain, however we only received 2 1/2 inches today and who knows how much more tonight. At least I finally got to do a real test on the Frogg Toggs and they passed. Only a light shower going to work this morning, however coming home this afternoon every cage I met had their wiper going full (no delayed wipers) at all.

so wait....how was the ride? did you get loose or drift or hydroplane??
    forgive me for being ignorant ( i am kinda new to bikes) but, what are frogg toggs?
    i am glad to hear that some riders feel safe enough to get out into the rain and ride! that is sooo cool to me!
    how did your gear hold up? did any gear leak like your helmet or anything??
    ride on

Spyder Garage

Frogg Toggs are a brand of rain gear. They make a lot of styles, from just walking around rain gear to hunting to motorcycle riding. Pretty good stuff.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

spyderlover2

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    Frogg Toggs are a brand of rain gear. They make a lot of styles, from just walking around rain gear to hunting to motorcycle riding. Pretty good stuff.

thanks BJT!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Sunny and highs in the upper 60's in Seattle....narry a rain drop in sight.

I know, its a miracle!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderlover2 View Post
    so wait....how was the ride? did you get loose or drift or hydroplane??
    forgive me for being ignorant ( i am kinda new to bikes) but, what are frogg toggs?
    i am glad to hear that some riders feel safe enough to get out into the rain and ride! that is sooo cool to me!
    how did your gear hold up? did any gear leak like your helmet or anything??
    ride on
    That is one of the reasons I bought the Spyder, so I could ride in inclement weather. I have even rode in light snow. Gear held up well, had a slight leak around the waistband which was blowing under the top. Just checked the rain guage and we got over 3 more inches overnight and still raining, trying to decide about riding today. I must point out I have many years experience on two wheels and I pick my line on the asphalt very carfully
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

" Mo Lee" you are crazy

It's been pouring here since yesterday morning. Started at 1:00 am, no stopping yet. According to us, we have had over 4 inches of rain.

Don and I worked in shifts all night, sweeping water out of our garage, the rain was bad all night, didn't let up once either. "We are under construction here".

We are not ryding today, it's pouring, not sprinkling here
    "Happy Spyder Owner"
    2010 RTS PE 0174

Custom Plates & paint,
    ESI Triple play,mud flap lights,Fender tips/amber,Green Filter,Dayrunner/turn signals,Shortee Antenna,Scuff Guards,LED Brake Lights & 2 in 1 Harness,Brightsides & rear,Glo-ryders/amber,Kewlmetal inside trunk lightz,Garmin 660,Garmin Hood,Volt Meter & Oil Pressure Gauge,Utopia Backrest,IPS Key,ISCI Brake Pedal,Dual side/tall flag poles,SPYDERPOPS Heat Guard

http://www.farriscustoms.com

Spyder Garage

I have never ridden on anything that felt safer in the rain. I even rode home the first day through snow and slush, and got instant respect for the Spyder's capabilities. With a little more weather protection than the stock windshield, the Spyder makes a splendid "bad weather" machine!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    And affordable as well. Mine served me well on the way to and from Gatlinburg.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

If I can avoid rain, I will. If I'm going somewhere and it starts raining I'll deal with it, but I'm not going to purposely ride in the rain.
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bersquack View Post
    If I can avoid rain, I will. If I'm going somewhere and it starts raining I'll deal with it, but I'm not going to purposely ride in the rain.
    The problem with riding in the rain is more of a visibility factor.

Spyder Garage

Got the Frog Toggs, Road Toads, used them in Gattlinburg. They held up for about 2 hours and then started to get wet. It was raining hard for about 4 1/2 hours and we were doing about 70 MPH. By the end there wasn't a dry spot on either one of us.
    Happy Owner

Registered Users The_Spyderwoman's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Lee View Post

I'm so envious!! It is still raining here; my hubby has been riding everyday....I however am fighting a cold and working midnights. Sniffling and trying to see dark wet roads as it rains just doesn't seem like a good idea right now. I did get to work yesterday and my co-worker asked: "hey, why aren't you riding? It's only raining!" They know I always ride rain or shine!
    The Happy Spyderlover

Spyder Garage

Well even though my Spyder makes riding in rain safer and less scary than it was on 2 wheels, I ride for FUN and riding in rain ain't fun.
    So my vote's going in the "Crazy" column!
    Karen

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Just Doo Me View Post
    The problem with riding in the rain is more of a visibility factor.
    A visibility factor for you the rider or them the cagers.
    I ride in the rain much like I would ride my sled. Never ride to close, stay out of the mist cloud. It's much like snow dust, hard to see through and hard for people to see you. Use RainX on your shield, the water just rolls off. Ride at a safe speed and all will be well. Also as the temps get colder treat the inside of your shield with an anti fogging agent. RainX has one, it works great.
    Here's To A Great Riding Season, Snowmobile That Is

"​Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
    Give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BumbleBee View Post
    " Mo Lee" you are crazy

It's been pouring here since yesterday morning. Started at 1:00 am, no stopping yet. According to us, we have had over 4 inches of rain.

Don and I worked in shifts all night, sweeping water out of our garage, the rain was bad all night, didn't let up once either. "We are under construction here".

We are not ryding today, it's pouring, not sprinkling here
    Bumblebee I figured if you are up all night sweeping water the least I could do was ride in the rain. Yea I rode to work again today and it started raining heavy before I arrived still stayed dry and enjoyed the ride as usual.
    Happy Owner

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I rode mine in the same rain you road yours in only a few hours earlier LOL. I dont mind rinding the spyder in the rain AT ALL. It is VASTLY superior to ANY two wheeled vehicle in that instance for sure. My legs usually barely get wet when riding even in a pretty good shower. the rest of the rain really seems to blow over me cept for my arms, hands and feet. Tonight looks like i am gonna get to test some really cool weather maybe as low as 35 degrees so that should be and interesting test as well.
    2009 phantom 424 of 500! Another Happy Spyder owner

spyderlover2

i really do appreciate everyones comments about riding in the rain and cold weather! it has really helped me out in knowing that i can be safe on a when riding in those types of weather days! and thanks also for letting me know what kind of gear to get for those inclement weather riding days!

all of your comments have led me to believe that a is really the only ride for me! i have looked into the other 3-wheelers out there. i have found that the is the only fairly priced and safest ride out there for riding all year round!

time to start saving up to get a i can call my own! thank you BRP for making these rides too! i have been waiting for a long time for a safe ride like the !!!!!! i love the 2 wheel rides too, but the is a no brainer!!!

one thing though that i would love to have more talk about is the slipping and sliding or even the lack thereof when riding your 's in bad weather! and if anyone else out there dares to ride in the snow and ice!
    fill me in on all of your escapades in different weather situations! thanks to all again!
    ride on and ride safe!

Spyder Garage

I honestly think I have ridden my Spyder more in the rain, than I have out of the rain. I also have a Frogg Toggs Hogg Togg suit. When we were coming home from Maggie Valley in the torrential rains the weekend of September 17, I got very wet. I am thinking it may be because I was not wearing the hood. Two weekends ago I had the hood on in the rain and stayed nice and dry.

I sent Frogg Toggs an email message after the first experience, and they replied telling me to call them for an RMA number if I want to and they will switch out that suit for me. Can't beat that.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I can say I dont think I am gonna dare the snow and ice. i actually worry about getting creamed by some other yutz more than sliding off the road in those conditions. But rain and cold NOOO Problem..well cold to a degree anyway. i dont think I am gonna do anything 'ridicoulous" LOL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderlover2 View Post
    one thing though that i would love to have more talk about is the slipping and sliding or even the lack thereof when riding your 's in bad weather! and if anyone else out there dares to ride in the snow and ice!
    fill me in on all of your escapades in different weather situations! thanks to all again!
    ride on and ride safe!
    I have ridden the Spyder in slushy conditions and in heavy rain. Under both conditions, application of the throttle usually caused wheelspin, making the Spyder slip sideways, and kicking in the TCS. It is perfectly safe, but it is a study in patience. Getting up to speed on a freeway ramp, for instance, takes a real long time and a gentle hand on the throttle.

Nick Caro has the most experience of any of us riding in snow. He's certainly the one to ask for his opinion.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

spyderlover2

Quote Originally Posted by jabba11 View Post
    But rain and cold NOOO Problem..well cold to a degree anyway. i dont think I am gonna do anything 'ridicoulous" LOL

and what "degree" would that be???

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

10 or less sounds about right for now.... depends on how good my gear holds up!!

spyderlover2

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I have ridden the Spyder in slushy conditions and in heavy rain. Under both conditions, application of the throttle usually caused wheelspin, making the Spyder slip sideways, and kicking in the TCS. It is perfectly safe, but it is a study in patience. Getting up to speed on a freeway ramp, for instance, takes a real long time and a gentle hand on the throttle.

Nick Caro has the most experience of any of us riding in snow. He's certainly the one to ask for his opinion.

thanks for that info Scotty! thats what i needed to here! prefect! thanks again!