Spyder Garage

Default Engine accent lights - anyone install and thoughts

I am looking at additional accent lighting for my F3 Limited and saw engine accent lighting. I was wondering if anyone installed and could provide thoughts? I am looking to increase visibility at night, plus add a wow factor.

Thanks,
    Jim

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimH View Post
    I am looking at additional accent lighting for my F3 Limited and saw engine accent lighting. I was wondering if anyone installed and could provide thoughts? I am looking to increase visibility at night, plus add a wow factor.

Thanks,
    Jim
    I have a 14 RT and added 6 LED's in the engine and side duct area .... I used Amber because Vermont is very strict about extra lighting. .... According to Fed DOT regs ... the amber qualify as " marker lights " ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Be careful and check your state laws on what colors can be used. In Ga there are four ( I thought 5) colors that are prohibited, Red, Blue, Green, Purple. Even lights that can change to those colors are prohibited.

That said, I used XK-Glow lights on mine. The left and right sides are independent (they can be wired differently, it's very simple). When running down the road they are white, they also turn amber to act as turn signals, whichever way you're turning that side flashes amber and the other stays white. When the brakes are applied they all turn red for stop lights. Not sure how the law will look at this but, I have had them on for a while now and have ridden here in GA as well as SC, NC, & Tenn. with no problems.

While these lights are glow lights and have the ability to change to any color which technically makes them illegal in GA (they are app controlled and I have no intention of changing the colors) they also offer lights in only one color but not sure what they are.

https://store.xkglow.com/catalog/category/motorcycle/
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-06-2022 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Removed extraneous CR's?!?
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    Be careful and check your state laws on what colors can be used. In Ga there are four ( I thought 5) colors that are prohibited, Red, Blue, Green, Purple. Even lights that can change to those colors are prohibited.

That said, I used XK-Glow lights on mine. The left and right sides are independent (they can be wired differently, it's very simple). When running down the road they are white, they also turn amber to act as turn signals, whichever way you're turning that side flashes amber and the other stays white. When the brakes are applied they all turn red for stop lights. Not sure how the law will look at this but, I have had them on for a while now and have ridden here in GA as well as SC, NC, & Tenn. with no problems.

While these lights are glow lights and have the ability to change to any color which technically makes them illegal in GA (they are app controlled and I have no intention of changing the colors) they also offer lights in only one color but not sure what they are.

https://store.xkglow.com/catalog/category/motorcycle/
    I have purchased and I am preparing my installation plan for Xk Glow lights. I would like to know where you spliced in to the Brake and Turn Signals on your Spyder? Any thoughts or tips would be appreciated.
    2018 RT Limited , USB Ports Added, X-Grip Phone Mount w/switched USB Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I have XK Glow on my present and past Spyder and they are great. You are way more visible even in the daytime. I taped into the connector for the top case, (under passenger seat) as I don't have one and ran the switch to the empty switch plate.

20230103_195630[1].jpg

20230208_052345[1].jpg

20230208_052401[1].jpg

20230208_052534[1].jpg

20230208_052601[1].jpg

20230208_052538[1].jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-28-2023 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Fixed attach display ;-)
    Improvise, Adapt, Overcome, Semper Fi
    2020 RT
    Limited heated seats
    removable back rest & rack
    XK Glow light
    Paint with light painted panels
    (Gone but not forgotten ) 2009 RS SE5
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rldhs View Post
    I have purchased and I am preparing my installation plan for Xk Glow lights. I would like to know where you spliced in to the Brake and Turn Signals on your Spyder? Any thoughts or tips would be appreciated.
    My Spyder is a 2020 RT so I don't know if this would apply to your F3

This may be a bit of over doing it but for simplicity I used this, it plugs into the harness under the seat (on my RT) then hook straight to the battery. Then just hook the glow lights to the terminals that you need.
    If you prefer you could tie into the wire harness but be-fore warned that the Spyder's electrical system might not like it that way. If I were you, I would go with the second item listed. It will give you some protection from shortages and will not harm the F3's electrical system.

I used this https://store.valueaccessories.net/F...pyderRT20.aspx for my Rt but, it is not listed for the F3 so I guess that you might need this, https://store.valueaccessories.net/E...erHarness.aspx

I just noticed that GS1 replied while I was posting this. So maybe just tying into the harness is ok. I placed my on/off switch under the seat as I never turn mine off.
    Last edited by K80Shooter; 07-28-2023 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Added last sentence.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

We have added vent, mirror, and trunk accent lights, as well as the signature light and bumpskids to both our F3L's. They look very nice.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red