Spyder Garage

Default Why do I have a flashing brake light on the dash?

I haven't ridden my 2020 F3-Limited all winter, and I'm hoping something I'm forgetting is causing this symptom.

Turned on the key and pressed the mode button to clear the "Read the Manual" warning; I cranked the engine and pressed the parking brake release, fully expecting the red "brake on" light to go off. Instead, even though the brake released in response to the button being pressed, the brake light in the gauge went to flashing mode.

I pushed on the garage floor to ascertain the brake was actually off and the bike rolled freely.

Shifting into 1st, the Spyder eased forward as expected; shifting into neutral and then reverse, everything acted normally.

Brake light is still flashing.

I took one quick turn around the cul-de-sac where I live and nothing seemed amiss. I stopped and backed into the garage. Spotting the bike where I wanted it, I pressed the parking brake button, and the parking brake engaged.
    However, the brake-on redlight remained in flashing mode, and continued to flash after turning off the ignition until other lights cycled off.

Any ideas whazzup?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-30-2022 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Removed Prefix - this is a 'What's going on?' question not a 'How To: DIY' guide. ;-)
    Pete Tamblyn
    Cleveland, GA

2020 F3 Limited (black)

Time Out XL1800 cargo trailer

2019 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor
    2018 Kawasaki Versys-X 300

2013 ST (sold)
    2015 F3-S SOLD
    2014 RT-Limited (cognac) SOLD

Spyder Garage

Have you checked to make sure that your Brake Master Cylinder is full? Even just a tiny amount down can result in this warning, so it might pay just to add a smidge of fresh brake fluid anyway, maybe even as much as a teaspoon full?! That might just fix the Brake Warning you're getting; if not, it's probably time to start searching for & looking at the threads & info on re-setting the Brake Pressure micro-switch.

Good Luck.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Maybe faulty brake switch or needs adjustment.

Since its pretty new take it in for warranty

Have you jacked it up over the winter by chance??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The parking brake is separate from the main brakes. It’s a cable and motor driven system with battery power. Check the battery and it’s connections. Even a new one can go bad. Then, since it’s probably still under warranty, take it to a dealer.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Have you checked to make sure that your Brake Master Cylinder is full? Even just a tiny amount down can result in this warning, so it might pay just to add a smidge of fresh brake fluid anyway, maybe even as much as a teaspoon full?! That might just fix the Brake Warning you're getting; if not, it's probably time to start searching for & looking at the threads & info on re-setting the Brake Pressure micro-switch.

Good Luck.
    Peter's suggestion of adding just a bit of brake fluid is what cleared my warning when I had the same issues on my 2012 RTL.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by motoswami View Post
    I haven't ridden my 2020 F3-Limited all winter, and I'm hoping something I'm forgetting is causing this symptom.

Turned on the key and pressed the mode button to clear the "Read the Manual" warning; I cranked the engine and pressed the parking brake release, fully expecting the red "brake on" light to go off. Instead, even though the brake released in response to the button being pressed, the brake light in the gauge went to flashing mode.

Any ideas whazzup?
    I had that happen to my 2018 once while out of a ride. Stopped for fuel and when we got read to leave released the brake but the brake light kept flashing. I had no idea why it was happening, but bike seemed to be running normally so we pressed on. The light continued flashing. On our next rest break we pulled over and turned our bikes off. I pulled the key and wandered around for a bit. When we got ready to leave, fired up the bike and the light stopped flashing.

Hasn't done it since and no idea why it did it that time. Maybe those pesky gremlins were up to mischief.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    I had that happen to my 2018 once while out of a ride. Stopped for fuel and when we got read to leave released the brake but the brake light kept flashing. I had no idea why it was happening, but bike seemed to be running normally so we pressed on. The light continued flashing. On our next rest break we pulled over and turned our bikes off. I pulled the key and wandered around for a bit. When we got ready to leave, fired up the bike and the light stopped flashing.

Hasn't done it since and no idea why it did it that time. Maybe those pesky gremlins were up to mischief.
    Could well be just Gremlins. After posting the original post, I went back to the garage and carefully went through the starting procedure and the flashing brake light never re-appeared. I will check the fluid level just to make sure, but fingers crossed it won't repeat.

Thanks for all the quick and helpful suggestions.
    Pete Tamblyn
    Cleveland, GA

2020 F3 Limited (black)

Time Out XL1800 cargo trailer

2019 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor
    2018 Kawasaki Versys-X 300

2013 ST (sold)
    2015 F3-S SOLD
    2014 RT-Limited (cognac) SOLD

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Could well be just Gremlins. After posting the original post, I went back to the garage and carefully went through the starting procedure and the flashing brake light never re-appeared. I will check the fluid level just to make sure, but fingers crossed it won't repeat.

Quite often just removing the Key away from the ignition switch, will allow a complete re-boot , and code will dis-appear ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Had the same thing and added a cap full or 2 of brake fluid and no more flashing message.

Spyder Garage

As the brake pads wear the fluid level in the reservoir goes down a bit. The is VERY sensitive to the brake fluid level so a little bit will bring it up to the required level and no more flashing brake light.
    Lew L
    Last edited by Lew L; 05-02-2022 at 12:03 PM. Reason: speelling
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Based on what I find in the 2014 RT service manual I think you have a flakey PARKING BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH. It's a microswitch that rides on the parking brake pulley. I think it may be sticking. Check it out.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)