Spyder Garage

Default Newbie Mistake - don't forget the rear tire when straddling pot-holes!

I learned a lesson on my ride to work yesterday. On a two wheeler, you learn to go around pot holes. In a car, I've always driven them so they pass under the middle of the car. We have a nice new assortment of potholes here in Columbus, so on my way in to work, a few popped up, and I steered right over the middle as if I was in a car. Forgot about that darn rear tire right in the middle, and I felt the hole. Actually, it was more of a crater. The only damage was to my ego! So I told myself "lesson learned," but when I went out at lunch I did the same thing. I hope that old habits aren't too hard to break!

Spyder Garage

I think someone on here said to aim your knee at what you are trying to miss.

Spyder Garage

Other than dodging them completely I have not found a good way over them. In my area if I try to put the pothole between the inside of a front tire and the rear wheel it wont fit and I usually catch a lip of the hole with the rear tire One nice thing about these lessons is we keep getting them until we learn
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-30-2022 at 12:29 PM. Reason: then = than ;-)

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Been there and done that. Not as much anymore though. That first time, the license plate bracket bottomed out and broke. (2009).

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

We have Moon Craters here in Toledo, 2.5 hours North of you. I try to aim the bike so the crater is between the paths of the front tire and the rear. That works about 10% of the time.

More often than not, there is a line of craters across the whole road, so that all three tires will bottom out!

Then I say to myself, "Self, detour this road in the future - find a different route".

That works for about 24 hours and too often I find myself back of Moon Crater Lane for more abuse.
    Former Navy LT, Retired Chemical Dependency Therapist, Retired Widower, "Do, or do not, there is no try"... Jedi Master Yoda.
    Proud member of AA, PGR, and a Navy Shellback!
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , matte black trim, Green/gray Charcoal? depends on the lighting

Spyder Garage

I'm w/ Pegasus; if you can't avoid 'em safely, put 'em inside a front and outside the rear. The same goes for road-kill!

IMO, another good reason to have car tires.
    Last edited by spyderdave; 04-30-2022 at 10:23 AM. Reason: additional comment

2020 Spyder RT Limited; Deep Marsala/Chrome

Formosa AZ01 165/50/R16's on PPA Recluse wheels up front
    General Altimax RT43 215/60/R15 on factory rear

Primary exhaust: RLS Cat delete w/ his baffle; secondary, custom built w/ Flowmaster HS2
    Suspension: BajaRon swaybar (highly recommended!), M2 coil-overs, front & rear (also highly recomended!)
    Extra LED lighting and misc. to suit my needs/wants

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyL View Post
    I learned a lesson on my ride to work yesterday. On a two wheeler, you learn to go around pot holes. In a car, I've always driven them so they pass under the middle of the car. We have a nice new assortment of potholes here in Columbus, so on my way in to work, a few popped up, and I steered right over the middle as if I was in a car. Forgot about that darn rear tire right in the middle, and I felt the hole. Actually, it was more of a crater. The only damage was to my ego! So I told myself "lesson learned," but when I went out at lunch I did the same thing. I hope that old habits aren't too hard to break!
    Because we have THREE wheels, I learned a long time ago, if the hole / holes can't be avoided hit it with the rear tire .... the suspension and alignment will be much less affected by than either front wheel .... JMHO .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 04-30-2022 at 02:51 PM.

Spyder Garage

After you get in some miles you will know where to place the bike so you can miss most of the nasty stuff. Practice makes perfect.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyL View Post
    Once you've jarred your spine hard enough to the point of tears in your eyes, you'll break that habit, trust me.

I try to imagine trying to put either my right or left foot over the pothole (or other debris). This usually results in the obstacle passing between the either front tire and the rear.

Then again, if the pothole is the size of Meteor Crater, no evasive maneuver will avoid it, and you'll just have to brace for impact, LOL.
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Because we have THREE wheels, I learned a long time ago, if the hole can't be avoided hit it with the rear tire .... the suspension and alignment will be much less affected by than either front wheel .... JMHO .... Mike
    Living in the northeast, potholes are a fact of life and tend to come in groups that make missing them all impossible. As Mike said, do your best to minimize the front end impacts when straddling won't work. I flex my legs (partial stand) to prevent the spinal 'tap'.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think there's about 16 inches of lateral clearance between the front & rear wheels... this would help to judge what you can clear (or not).
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Everyone here seems to be on the same page with this issue. RayBJ's advice is very good advice.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    I think someone on here said to aim your knee at what you are trying to miss.

Works for me most of the time!!
    2014 RTL bought in 3/20 with only 6,000 mi.
    Came with Garmin 660
    Car tires in 5/20; Elka stage 2 front shocks in 10/21