Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Scrapped my ELKA shocks

I wish I had never wasted my money on Elka shocks. They were junk from the start. Had to have one rebuilt under warranty within a month of purchasing. They still didnt perform right after that. I recently took them to a suspension shop that specializes in ELKA rebuilds. Both shocks need the shafts replaced and a total rebuild at a cost of $585.21. These shocks are only about 2-3 years old. I ended up telling the shop to scrap them. For that price I can buy another set of IKON shocks, which I am VERY happy with. I know many people have had a great experience with ELKA shocks. But not me.
    IMG_20220414_212300465.jpg
    Last edited by Joel The Biker; 04-14-2022 at 08:25 PM.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My experience with Elkas was it made the ride much more harsh on my ST. I had Stage 1 and just didn't like the ride after that. I remember another new owner of a used RT had complained that it came with Elkas and it "rides like a brick!"

I like the OEMs on my 2021 F3d
    Last edited by Flamewinger; 04-14-2022 at 10:49 PM.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

I’m going to leave my 2021 Spyder RT Limited the hell alone. I think it rides, looks, handles great as is. The stock shock absorbers are made by the same company that makes shocks and struts for many premium vehicles on the road and they have few problems. I can’t justify the cost to replace good parts with expensive aftermarket products that aren’t covered under my warranty or under my BEST Service Contract. I have other hobbies that all cost money but my new Spyder is expensive enough and I don’t want to go down some rabbit hole of chasing the “ultimate ride” when the stock is fantastic.

What made you decide to replace your new shocks in the first place? Nothing against the Elka brand but what was the cost/benefit that made a investment sound reasonable?
    2021 Spyder RT Limited Asphalt Gray Chrome Edition
    2022 Spyder RT Limited Hyper Silver Chrome Edition
    Spyderco Paramilitary 2
    Vanquest Gen 2 7x10 First Aid Trauma Pack
    Garage Door Opener
    iPass
    DJI Action 2
    Tackform Anti-Vibe Phone Cradle
    UltraGard Full Covers
    Show Chrome rear trunk lid lift strut
    Noco Genius 1
    Noco GBX Booster X
    Show Chrome Platinum Grande Adjustable Padded Driver Backrest with Storage Pouch
    Baseus Cordless Inflator

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had the ELKA shocks on my 2014 for a short time before switching back to stock. Then when I got my 2021, I gave them a try again, just because I like to have all the toys. Its a cure for my boredom. But they were no better on the 2021. Now I have IKON shocks on the 2021 and they are great! Just enough adjustability to keep me happy.

Spyder Garage

Well I hope your experience isn't mine, I have a new set of Elka stage 2's waiting for installation on my 21 RTL. Chris

2021 RT Limited
    2021 Spyder RT Liminted , Marsala Red in Black

Spyder Garage

I bailed on them when I read in their literature that "rebuilds" were "required" to maintain the warranty and to be expected every 1-2 years! This was waaaaay back in 2016 when I got my F3S.... I went with the Fox Podium 1.5 & 2.0 setup and never looked back! 25k of trouble free, ride-it-like-ya-stole-it performance!

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
    Well I hope your experience isn't mine, I have a new set of Elka stage 2's waiting for installation on my 21 RTL. Chris
    I put a new set of ELKA stage 2 on my front end (2014 RTL) last summer; and I really like the difference from the stock ones! Great on hard turns and bumps!
    2014 RTL bought in 3/20 with only 6,000 mi.
    Came with Garmin 660
    Car tires in 5/20; Elka stage 2 front shocks in 10/21

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

On my 2014 RTS my Elka's are both leaking again for the third time...I have a new pair of Can/Am Fox shocks that I'm going to try shortly...If they don't work out I have my stock shocks with BajaRon adjustors that I've used when my Elka's were getting rebuilt in the past..larryd

Spyder Garage

I think my stock shocks aren’t that bad at all. Sure they are a tad soft, allowing for a little more roll than I might want, but they are bad enough to want to bother with swapping them. Perhaps when they expire I’ll go the Ikon route. Same with the tires. I know people complain about the OEM Kenda tires, especially the rear, but to be honest if have had expensive cars with poorer quality OEM fitments. The bike is a 2021 RT LTD and it seems to run fine, handle fine and grip fine, now the rear air system gremlins are worked out. Your mileage may vary, but I can’t seem to think of a compelling enough reason for me to spend a $1,000 or more changing things until the OEM parts wear out. It is a cruiser, perhaps the sportier models may benefit from the changes but the RT seems fine as is to me.
    Can Am Syder RT Limited (2021)
    Triumph Bonneville T120 (2018)
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Spyder Garage

Stock shocks, BajaRon adjusters, and car tires. Nanny will intervene in the twisties before the suspension gives out and Nanny intervenes a lot Can't ask for more than that.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

+1 on no elka
    I ordered directly from elka with my spec but I got a stock shock without consideration of my spec and now it has leaked out after short period time.
    Last edited by aka1004; 04-15-2022 at 11:42 PM.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    On my 2014 RTS my Elka's are both leaking again for the third time...I have a new pair of Can/Am Fox shocks that I'm going to try shortly...If they don't work out I have my stock shocks with BajaRon adjustors that I've used when my Elka's were getting rebuilt in the past..larryd
    When you say they are leaking, what do you mean, are they leaking down the side , or is there a little oil on the shaft?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

The local suspension shop USED to be a Elka dealer. No more. Too many issues. They actually recommended Wilber's to me and they don't carry them. They could have gotten me Race Tech's at a discount.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The suspension shop offered to polish the shafts and rebuild the shocks for $225. I told them to throw them in the trash. I was hoping they would find a cause for the one shock losing gas. It has done it since new, so its not corrosion on the shaft. Elka junk and total waste of money.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    When you say they are leaking, what do you mean, are they leaking down the side , or is there a little oil on the shaft?
    They leak oil on the garage floor...The first time Elka rebuilt the shocks they said they had a bad batch of seals...The second time they said they had a new style of seal head that would fix the problem...There's NOT going to be a third time for me...My opinion is the same as Joel's...JUNK FROM THE START...larryd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    They leak oil on the garage floor...The first time Elka rebuilt the shocks they said they had a bad batch of seals...The second time they said they had a new style of seal head that would fix the problem...There's NOT going to be a third time for me...My opinion is the same as Joel's...JUNK FROM THE START...larryd
    I heard they originally used cheap seals from China and that is the reason they leak. When I want to get aftermarket shocks, Ill shop local and get them from Racetech.
    21 Spyder base F3

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for posting this up , I was getting ready to take the dive on a Elka rear shock for 2 up use to keep from bottoming out.

Guess I am still looking around at this point after hearing this.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

What was the rear shock air gremlin you are speaking of? I have a 2021 f3 limited that goes up and down every time i stop at a light or stop sign.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post
    Thanks for posting this up , I was getting ready to take the dive on a Elka rear shock for 2 up use to keep from bottoming out.

Guess I am still looking around at this point after hearing this.
    I upgraded to M2 shocks all round on my 2014 Spyder RTL. Like the ride and performance change. Marcus has been good. I have changed the springs from the original delivery to suit my requirements, Marcus supplied the upgraded springs. When you call, you get Marcus on the phone.

There are other good aftermarket shocks out there.
    "When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
    1985 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Limited Edition

Ernest

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2007276SSX View Post
    What was the rear shock air gremlin you are speaking of? I have a 2021 f3 limited that goes up and down every time i stop at a light or stop sign.
    Are you sure ???? .... The rear suspension Air Bag has a Weight sensor on it ( the auto ones , like you have ) .... What will normally trigger it. ... would be when a passenger gets on.....If yours is changing at stop lights I think you have a leak in the system .... Since it's a 21 model ... the BAG itself should be good .... so either a hose or more likely a connection ..... good luck .... Mike