Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Filing Federal Tax return question, again....

I just want to know if I'll get into trouble by doing the following.

I paper filed my Fed Tax and mailed at the post office on 2/11/2022. As of today I've called the phone numbers provided to the public and also went to the IRS website to find out if my return was at least received. According to the IRS website and also the automated phone service, when checking on your refund, you'll get one of three answers; it was received, or it is being processed, or your check has been sent. The answer I have received for the past week when checking on my refund is: We cannot provide any information on this refund. So, my question is, since I don't know if my tax return was received, can I get into any trouble by filing again by the April 18 cutoff date before it is considered a late filing? Also, whether you go thru the IRS website or automated phone system, it states, your wait time for processing can be up to 6 weeks. In my case, I say it is over 6 weeks.

Spyder Garage

Did you send your envelope "Certified Return Receipt Requested"?
    If you did you should have gotten your green return receipt that proves where/who/when it was delivered to.
    If you do not have the green receipt back yet you can still track it through the tracking number on the certified form you filled out.
    The post office would have put the tracking number on the paid receipt they gave you when you paid for the certified service.
    I don't have an answer to whether you can file it again by April 18. If you file it again and send it through the mail be SURE to send it "Certified Return Receipt Requested."
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
    Did you send your envelope "Certified Return Receipt Requested"?
    If you did you should have gotten your green return receipt that proves where/who/when it was delivered to.
    If you do not have the green receipt back yet you can still track it through the tracking number on the certified form you filled out.
    The post office would have put the tracking number on the paid receipt they gave you when you paid for the certified service.
    I don't have an answer to whether you can file it again by April 18. If you file it again and send it through the mail be SURE to send it "Certified Return Receipt Requested."
    I did not file /mail it certified. But, I will this time with a little note that states this is my 2nd filing, the first was mailed at the post office on 2/11/2022.

Thank you. I very much appreciate your answer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I did not file /mail it certified. But, I will this time with a little note that states this is my 2nd filing, the first was mailed at the post office on 2/11/2022.

I got the same message when I was trying to get my first stimulus check. Remember that one? I ended up having to wait until September before it arrived. The 2nd stimulus check came right through with no delay.

I think your idea to let them know this is a second filing is a good idea. That should cover you if they pay attention. When they input your data, it should pop up that it has already been filed.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I've been out of the AARP Tax-Aide program for a number of years but you must remember, the IRS is many thousands of returns behind and paper returns just add to the backlog. We frequently had clients that for one reason or another had to submit amended returns after the original was filed and we were instructed to tell clients NOT to send the amended return until after the April due date and amended returns go to a different address than the originals. Paper returns must be entered into the IRS's antiquated computer system. From your post you are expecting a refund and the answer you received that the IRS can't provide any information on "this refund" probably means your return is in a pile X feet high somewhere. You unknowingly shot yourself in the foot by not sending the return by certified mail but that's water under the bridge. Were I in your boots I would not send a second copy of the return, even with a note that it is a second submission. Why? First, the instructions for Form 1040 and 1040SR say NOT to send a copy of your return unless the IRS asks you to do so (pg 83). Second, the note is not going to get the second return processed any faster than the original; it's just going to wind up in a pile in some IRS office. If your return is correct and you are due a refund the IRS will add interest to the refund when it is finally processed. The office you were supposed to send your return to is one of the largest in the country, Kansas City, MO, so you can expect the pile your return is in to be one of the bigger ones.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Never know what is going to happen with the IRS. Last year, my father filed his by mail, and since he owed them a small amount, included his payment check with it.

Around September, he received a letter from the IRS stating that they cashed his check and added the amount to his credit, except, they had absolutely no record of having a copy of his paper return. He was asked to file it again - even though his check was attached to the original return. Where it actually ended up was never discovered.
    2014 ST-S Cognac
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I took the advice of many different sources and e-filed. Got acknowledgment within a few hours and my refund in 3 weeks.

After being gutted by a previous administration, and then burdened with processing stimulus checks, the IRS is not able to manually process returns in a timely manner. They are over a year behind. Your second filing is not going to help matters and could hinder them further.

IMHO of course.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just want to know if I'll get into trouble by doing the following.

I paper filed my Fed Tax and mailed at the post office on 2/11/2022. As of today I've called the phone numbers provided to the public and also went to the IRS website to find out if my return was at least received. According to the IRS website and also the automated phone service, when checking on your refund, you'll get one of three answers; it was received, or it is being processed, or your check has been sent. The answer I have received for the past week when checking on my refund is: We cannot provide any information on this refund. So, my question is, since I don't know if my tax return was received, can I get into any trouble by filing again by the April 18 cutoff date before it is considered a late filing? Also, whether you go thru the IRS website or automated phone system, it states, your wait time for processing can be up to 6 weeks. In my case, I say it is over 6 weeks.
    I'm send many, many .... Last year I sent a very time sensitive set of forms ( registered certified delivery )..... Post Office lost it .... cost me a bunch of money .... Good Luck >>> Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I'm send many, many .... Last year I sent a very time sensitive set of forms ( registered certified delivery )..... Post Office lost it .... cost me a bunch of money .... Good Luck >>> Mike
    And then there's the USPS, another once-dependable service...
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why not file online much faster and they approve it faster. This year I got my refund within two weeks. Even the state refund was the fastest ever.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've sent "certified, return receipt requested" a couple of times and got nothing back. P.O. trace was useless, they did give me my money back. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Do Not resend your tax return. Whether you add a note or not it will cause problems and major delays. My son did that and is waiting 3 years for a refund.

Spyder Garage

That's why I prefer to "owe them" instead of them "owing me"! I'If I do owe them money it isn't deducted from my checking account until "Tax Day" (4/18 this year)
    This year I only "owe" them about $1,500. No problem.
    2014 RTL bought in 3/20 with only 6,000 mi.
    Came with Garmin 660
    Car tires in 5/20; Elka stage 2 front shocks in 10/21

Spyder Garage

Another who e-filed. We used Turbo Tax. Received confirmation in a couple days. The refunds are already in the account and spent. We like the new piano.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Why not file online much faster and they approve it faster. This year I got my refund within two weeks. Even the state refund was the fastest ever.
    Next year.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LongIsland View Post
    Do Not resend your tax return. Whether you add a note or not it will cause problems and major delays. My son did that and is waiting 3 years for a refund.
    Has he been able to actually talk to someone. If he has, what excuse have they given for the delay?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by redrazor View Post
    That's why I prefer to "owe them" instead of them "owing me"! I'If I do owe them money it isn't deducted from my checking account until "Tax Day" (4/18 this year)
    This year I only "owe" them about $1,500. No problem.
    That is why today I changed the amount to deduct from one of my retirements. Next year it should be a wash.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Another who e-filed. We used Turbo Tax. Received confirmation in a couple days. The refunds are already in the account and spent. We like the new piano.
    Sounds like you know how to relax. You do play, right?

Spyder Garage

I always efile my taxes. For me at least they are pretty simple. I don't do any itemized deductions or stuff like that. For me its basically this is what I made and this is how much tax I paid.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Sounds like you know how to relax. You do play, right?
    Yes, I do play the piano. Not the classical stuff though.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    And then there's the USPS, another once-dependable service...
    Pete, USPS is the " Post Office " ...... Mike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Don't send a second one unless it's an amended return to correct some mistake. You'll confuse the system. As has been said the IRS is seriously understaffed and all paper returns have to be hand converted into electronic returns by an IRS employee. The last I heard the wait is up to or more than a year. I would maybe take the chance and refile it electronically. That will get it into the system quickly. Then when they input the paper one the system should reject it as being a duplicate.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Has he been able to actually talk to someone. If he has, what excuse have they given for the delay?
    If I remember the news story correctly you have about a 2% probability of actually reaching a human being. To get an idea of how large the 8-ball is that you are behind look at this article: https://theconversation.com/taxpayer...problem-176642. About 17 million 2021 returns have yet to be processed, and yours is behind all them.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Filing Federal or State Taxes

...So moving forward with the TAXES.
    Option 1
    E-filing is the best way. Use a quality software.
    There are several good ones out here.

Option 2
    Use a Tax Service Company and let them do it for you.
    They will prepare your Taxes and E-file for you.

Tip: I try to 'owe' on my Taxes for several reasons.
    Say $1000.00 or Less.
    The Government doesn't pay interest on your credit.
    So put your money in your savings account for paying the Taxes.

My Great Grandfather told me this years ago.

Good Luck on Your Mission. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    If I remember the news story correctly you have about a 2% probability of actually reaching a human being. To get an idea of how large the 8-ball is that you are behind look at this article: https://theconversation.com/taxpayer...problem-176642. About 17 million 2021 returns have yet to be processed, and yours is behind all them.
    Something that bothers me about this article is where it says to use the electronic form provided by the IRS. I did use it, but it can't be electronically filed, so there is no advantage. Yes, I made a mistake by not using an electronic file service. If I knew they actually received it, I would feel much better. But, for next year, problem solved; I reduced the federal tax I'm having taken out of my retirements, and today will reduce it further.