Hybrid View

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Used and new Can Am price?

Is it just me or are the prices for used and new Spyders dropping?I'll be trading in my Harley and even those are softer in this economy.

My real concern is buying an RS and having it take a big big hit when I trade or sell it.

My thought pattern is the same for the RT.$25000 is a fair price for the RT but I don't buy things and keep them forever.I would hat to lose $10,000 in a couple of years on any toy.

As members and owners what are your thoughts on the value of buying either Spyder?I'm on the left,that's Barb my wife on the right,she says hi.

thx in advance,
    wolfshead1

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My take is the Spyder is not all that unlike most motorcycles - drive it off the showroom floor and loose at least 20% instantly. I purchased a like new 2003 Yamaha FZ1 (in 2003) with 600 miles for $6500 (from a dealer) when new went for $9.5K. The person that traded the bike in for another new 2004 model only got $4500.

I wouldn't recommend buying any Spyder if you are doing so based on re-sale value. Supply and demand - right now economy is bad-dealers have 08/09s at good discounts and used Spyders are even at a higher discount (lower demand higher supply).

Some think that the RTs will not depreciate as quickly-I see no reason why not - after two years very likely 2010/2011 RTs will be sitting on show room floors available at a discount along with the HOT NEW RTX with 1000+cc supercharged engine ready for the must have latest new thing buyers.

Just look on ebay alone and you'll see close to 30 Spyders for sale at the same time - definitely a buyers market.
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Spyder Garage

I hate to say it but the one I just bought I got for a steal. Doug had it for sale for over a month in Fla and got ridiculous offers before offering it here. Needless to say, we were on it like white on rice.

I didn't buy mine nor did my dh buy his for resale ... we bought them for fun. To have as much as we can together as a family.

Maybe if you get a really nice used one at a good price then you won't worry too much about the dollar aspect of it later.

Happy Shopping.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead1 View Post
    Is it just me or are the prices for used and new Spyders dropping?I'll be trading in my Harley and even those are softer in this economy.

My real concern is buying an RS and having it take a big big hit when I trade or sell it.

My thought pattern is the same for the RT.$25000 is a fair price for the RT but I don't buy things and keep them forever.I would hat to lose $10,000 in a couple of years on any toy.

As members and owners what are your thoughts on the value of buying either Spyder?I'm on the left,that's Barb my wife on the right,she says hi.

thx in advance,
    wolfshead1
    I pretty much agree with BeRight---- other than I think the RT resale/trade-in will drop just like the original Spyders have. If you buy an RT today for $25,000---- you will take that $10,000 depreciation hit within 3 years.

I can't really think of any other product that doesn't follow this same pattern-- especially in this economy. I've easily got $21K into my Spyder--- and with 14K miles I would not expect to get over 10K for it after only 2 years.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

BillGargan

Keep in mind that the book prices on vehicles -- and maybe more particularly motorcycles (including the Spyder roadsters) -- is based on the original sticker price.

If you option, modify and customize -- YOU WILL MOST LIKELY LOSE THAT VALUE. That being true unless you are lucky and find an interested individual buyer or a dealer who believes they can market your customized Spyder and get value for the additions/changes.

Even cars lose ~20% on the way out the door.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by BillGargan View Post
    Keep in mind that the book prices on vehicles -- and maybe more particularly motorcycles (including the Spyder roadsters) -- is based on the original sticker price.

If you option, modify and customize -- YOU WILL MOST LIKELY LOSE THAT VALUE. That being true unless you are lucky and find an interested individual buyer or a dealer who believes they can market your customized Spyder and get value for the additions/changes.

Even cars lose ~20% on the way out the door.

Spyder Garage

That is why I'm waiting to by an RT - right now I don't see Spyders holding value in this market. I see other bikes fairing better but not the Spyder - too new in a cr@ppy market. The RTs are really are nice though but I'm waiting - waiting for a bigger engine, 6th gear and if they don't come out w/ it, by then I should own my Spyder SM5 outright and can buy something else - depending what's out there. I do need touring but not at that price right now. I can do that up on the Spyder I have now for less, the way I want it.

But once it's paid off - Look out - time to buy another toy!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Smylinacha View Post
    That is why I'm waiting to by an RT - right now I don't see Spyders holding value in this market. I see other bikes fairing better but not the Spyder - too new in a cr@ppy market. The RTs are really are nice though but I'm waiting - waiting for a bigger engine, 6th gear and if they don't come out w/ it, by then I should own my Spyder SM5 outright and can buy something else - depending what's out there. I do need touring but not at that price right now. I can do that up on the Spyder I have now for less, the way I want it.

But once it's paid off - Look out - time to buy another toy!
    A bigger engine and 6th gear will definitely drive the $25K PE-RT into the low teens for sure.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by M2Wild View Post
    A bigger engine and 6th gear will definitely drive the $25K PE-RT into the low teens for sure.
    By then I'm wondering if Harley will come out with their leaning reverse trike. Would be nice to see if someone comes out w/ something that leans a bit too, besides a bigger engine. But definitely want a bigger engine w/ a 6th gear. Bigger fatter tires up front too!

Spyder Garage

Checked with my dealer & was told "Waiting list for the RT??? We still have new '08s. IF BRP wasn't forcing the issue, we wouldn't even order them until Spring.."

Look for discounts coming to a dealer near you this spring!!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I must admit, at first I thought the Spyder seemed overpriced, but now that I see 600cc bikes for over 10 grand, I don't think its a bad deal. That said, I made up my mind on price and it took a while to finally get a dealer to agree to it. Better yet, the bike wasn't a demo either. It was still in the crate when I bought it.

The worst part for me was the fact that I didn't know whether I was going to like riding a bike or not. I've never owned a bike before the Spyder, so I was not sure if I'd want to keep it. Here in Utah, there is not much of a market for the Spyder. Mostly because many people don't know about its existance. I still laugh at all the people staring at it wondering "what the heck is that?"

I have only put 250 miles on it, but I'm still loving every minute of it. Hopefully this weekend I'll get another 100 miles going through Utahs Alpine loop.

Spyder Garage

Default How's the popcorn?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead1 View Post

thx in advance,
    wolfshead1
    Hello Wolfshead, Hello Barb. How's the popcorn?
    I honestly can't put a price on what fun I have had during my first year. 12xxx miles and loving it.
    I'm not sure how much of this actually pertains to your thoughts but for what it's worth,
    When I bought my 2008 Spyder used off Craigslist in Sept, 2008, I paid $13,500. It had 500 miles on it. The only way I could buy the Spyder was if I sold my 2005 Kaw Vulcan 2000. I sold that bike for 7 grand. In my opinion, that motorcycle was worth a hell of a lot more than 7 grand but I wanted this gosh darn Spyder so bad, I sold the bike for what I owed on it.
    My point is, this could be the same reason we are seeing some of these Spyders going for lower prices. Or somebody needs the money so desperately, they just need to get out from under the payment.
    One other thing I want to share with everybody. If you go on eBay, create an account and sign in, you can view recently sold items. It is located on the left side of your screen. I just did it to see what Spyders are going far these days. Here are 4 of them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Can-Am-Premier-2008-Can-Am-Spyder-Roadster-Premier-Edition_W0QQitemZ260483497390QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS _motorcycles?hash=item3ca606bdae
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Can-Am-Spyder-Roadster-SM5-2008-Can-Am-Spyder-Roadster-SM5-Can-Am-with-extras_W0QQitemZ250503475398QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_ motorcycles?hash=item3a532bb0c6
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Can-Am-2008-SM5-Spyder-Roadster-Full-Moon_W0QQitemZ130332402668QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_mo torcycles?hash=item1e586aa3ec
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Can-Am-electric-shift-model-2009-can-am-spyder-roadster-SE5_W0QQitemZ230378111578QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_mot orcycles?hash=item35a39b025a

Previous owner of a 2008 Spyder SM5.
    Current owner of a 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture