Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Why is it that people are having trouble accepting the information that BRP has published in the Operators Guide?

For my 2024 Spyder RT Sea-to-Sky it's on page 176 of the Operators Guide, that says minimum octane 87 and recommended octane 91?
    racoon
    Middle Tennessee
    2024 CAN-AM Spyder RT Sea-to-Sky - Vegas White Satin
    2023 Honda Ridgeline Sport - Sonic Grey Pearl (aka Baby Blue)
    2024 RT Sea-to-Sky , Vegas White Satin

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by racoon View Post
    Why is it that people are having trouble accepting the information that BRP has published in the Operators Guide?

For my 2024 Spyder RT Sea-to-Sky it's on page 176 of the Operators Guide, that says minimum octane 87 and recommended octane 91?
    The confusion it seems is for the 1330 based Spyders the Fuel specs appear in two places... I checked the manual(s) for our 2015 RTS & F3S, also for our 2023 RT(es).

In the "Basic Procedures Section"

Recommended Fuel
    Use premium unleaded gasoline with
    an AKI (RON+MON)/2 octane rating of
    , or an RON octane rating of 95.

Then in the Specifications section:

Minimum octane 87 Pump Posted AKI (RON+MON)/2
    Recommended octane 91 Pump Posted AKI (RON+MON)/2
    Marilyn 2023 RTL Red
    John 2023 RTL Black

previous:
    2015 RTS SE6 Red
    2015 F3S SE6 Silver
    2011 RT SM5 Silver
    2013 STS SM5 Silver

"common sense will prevail....but we see no sign of that"

Spyder Garage

For me, my best understanding in regards to the most updated and current info, is the placard on the vehicle.
    Granted, the manual and placard should be the same.
    Unless a revision is done to the manual, that information can become outdated and the placard decal, like an emissions placard, or A/C servicing placard, are the most current at the time the vehicle is completed, and delivered to the customer.

Consider this viewpoint. The manuals are printed many months before a Spyder is built. The production line specs, whether a torque spec, an updated part number / part spec, or even updated placard for fuel requirements, is done at the most up to date moment, when leaving the production facility.
    Granted, a Spyder could be shipped to a dealer, and prior to delivery, a change could be made. The front pulley NHTSA recall being an example.

If Can Am had not provided a printed manual with your Spyder, but rather an easily updated electronic version, the decals wording might likely be amended, to read the info, followed by “or latest revision of the manual”.

No doubt a topic, with no clear cut right or wrong.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Consider this viewpoint. The manuals are printed many months before a Spyder is built. The production line specs, whether a torque spec, an updated part number / part spec, or even updated placard for fuel requirements, is done at the most up to date moment, when leaving the production facility.
    And the engines were designed, and the components manufactured many months before the engine was assembled, and then more time before the engine was installed in a motorcycle, and more time before the crated-up motorcycle arrived at a dealer to be assembled and prepped for sale.

And by the placard on the vehicle, I assume you mean the little sticker that's hidden under the driver's seat that is nearly impossible to get too? Yeah, those placards were also printed many months before the motorcycle was built, too.

And I have an electronic version of the 2024 Spyder RT Series Operators Guide. There are two places I found Copyright notices, and both show 2023:

Page 2: ©Bombardier Recreational Products Inc. (BRP) 2023
    Page 220: ©2023 BOMBARDIER RECREATIONAL PRODUCTS INC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

The electronic copy has the same Octane information as the printed Operators Guide.

So your suggestion that the printed operator's manual is out of date seems very weak, at least to me.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-21-2024 at 03:07 PM.
    racoon
    Middle Tennessee

Spyder Garage

And the engines were designed, and the components manufactured many months before the engine was assembled, and then more time before the engine was installed in a motorcycle, and more time before the crated up motorcycle arrived at a dealer to be assembled and prepped for sale.

And by the placard on the vehicle I assume you mean the little sticker that's hidden under the driver's seat that is nearly impossible to get too?
    And yeah, those placards were also printed many months before the motorcycle was built, too.

And I have an electronic version of the 2024 Spyder RT Series Operators Guide. There are two places I found Copyright notices, and both show 2023:

Page 2: ©Bombardier Recreational Products Inc. (BRP) 2023
    Page 220: ©2023 BOMBARDIER RECREATIONAL PRODUCTS INC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

And the electronic copy has the same Octane information as the printed Operators Guide.

So your suggestion that the printed operators manual is out of date seams very weak, at least to me.
    As weak as my point of view seems, you will probably find, that while what you is logical sense, the placards on a vehicle are deemed most current at the time of manufacture. Changes thereafter, could be more current.

As an example, the manufacture date decal / placard, on the rear suspension swingarm, has a manufacturers production date of January 12, 2023.
    That date of January 12, 2023 is the latest revision of the unit and appendages added as dealer installed options. Manuals dated prior to the January 12, 2023 date are actually deemed out of date, unless the vehicle produced, and the technical information match.

If a change were made to the vehicle during production, the applicable manuals (Parts Manual, Service Manual, Service Bulletins, and even, the Operators Manual) should be revised.

The manufacturer certainly would not be willing to scrap outdated, incorrect owners manuals.

The easiest and best BRP could offer for owners, is to offer a revision notification service, via email, providing updated manual pages, that could be printed, and added to the operator manual.

Ironic, that’s how my preference is, but…
    Can Am has spoken out and this link states the Can Am Motherships advice for best practices to owners about the fuel.

https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/us/en...otorcycle.html

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Can Am has spoken out and this link states the Can Am Motherships advice for best practices to owners about the fuel.

https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/us/en...otorcycle.html
    Interesting link, but it proves my point more than yours.

The first sentence in the first paragraph on that page is:

"It is always best to refer to the Operator's Guide for your Can-Am for fuel requirements for your specific model and engine."
    racoon
    Middle Tennessee

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Interesting link, but it proves my point more than yours.

The first sentence in the first paragraph on that page is:

"It is always best to refer to the Operator's Guide for your Can-Am for fuel requirements for your specific model and engine."
    Reread what I posted

I did agree with you by posting that link