Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default How big is too big for a Ryker?

I am 6'3" 250ish and I ride a 2015 RTL. I have test rode the 600 and 900 Ryker and I'm very interested in them. I don't ride my RT enough and never go out of town. So a little crotch rocket type of bike to jump on every now and then would work better for me. I just don't feel comfortable sitting on them. Its probably due to being used to the RT. I am wanting to know how the bigger guys/girls are making the Ryker more comfortable. Comfort seats? What?
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EDBLU View Post
    I am 6'3" 250ish and I ride a 2015 RTL. I have test rode the 600 and 900 Ryker and I'm very interested in them. I don't ride my RT enough and never go out of town. So a little crotch rocket type of bike to jump on every now and then would work better for me. I just don't feel comfortable sitting on them. Its probably due to being used to the RT. I am wanting to know how the bigger guys/girls are making the Ryker more comfortable. Comfort seats? What?
    IMHO I think you will feel it underpowered ..... I think you will cramped considering your size .... plus your RT at 7 years old is worth approx. what a 2022 Dressed Ryker .In the market place your RT is losing it's worth at a much , much slower amount than a New Ryker will ... this an economic Fact ..... good luck .... Mike .......PS the maintenance on a Ryker is way more than your RT ....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-15-2022 at 09:39 PM. Reason: New Ryker - ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    IMHO I think you will feel it underpowered ..... I think you will cramped considering your size .... plus your RT at 7 years old is worth approx. what a 2022 Dressed Ryker .In the market place your RT is losing it's worth at a much , much slower amount than a New Ryker will ... this an economic Fact ..... good luck .... Mike .......PS the maintenance on a Ryker is way more than your RT ....
    Very interesting topic to me. I was thinking about test driving a Ryker myself and I'm a big guy! Blueknight you said that the maintenance is more on a Ryker. Do you mean there is more maintenance or it cost more?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MonPaul View Post
    Very interesting topic to me. I was thinking about test driving a Ryker myself and I'm a big guy! Blueknight you said that the maintenance is more on a Ryker. Do you mean there is more maintenance or it cost more?
    BOTH .... especially if need a dealer to do it ..... From memory - there is a Belt on the Ryker ( similar to the drive belt on a Spyder ) that needs to re-placed at approx. 12,500 mi ..... The drive belt for Spyders should get approx. 250,000 mi. of use. .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I test drove both of them. If I bought one it would be the 900. The power was fine. I've rode motorcycles for over 40 yrs. Do you own a Ryker? I am looking for real world experience from owners of Rykers. I can look up the maintenance schedule. The financial side of ownership is not what I was asking about. Can any big guy/girl please answer my question!?!
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I feel your pain about riding on top of it. So much i went back to Roadglide.

Spyder Garage

I test drove both of them. If I bought one it would be the 900. The power was fine. I've rode motorcycles for over 40 yrs. Do you own a Ryker? I am looking for real world experience from owners of Rykers. I can look up the maintenance schedule. The financial side of ownership is not what I was asking about. Can any big guy/girl please answer my question!?!
    I APOLOGIZE for giving you TOO much information ..... Also I don't OWN a tire company, nor have I created a tire .... However I can tell much more about tires than you ever wanted to know ...... Good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

No other big guys who own a Ryker?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MonPaul View Post
    No other big guys who own a Ryker?
    Apparently not. I guess I'll be staying with my old RT.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Apparently not. I guess I'll be staying with my old RT.
    They must be shy. I still will test a Ryker when the snow clears up here, but I originally went with my RT because I just thought the Ryker would be too small for me. I went through the same thing when I got a Gold Wing, I loved the bike but it wasn't as much fun to ride as my smaller bikes. It would be great to have both

Spyder Garage

For what it's worth, we've got some (a fair few maybe?!) Ozzie Ryker Ryders of a similar size to you who don't seem to complain about their Rykers &/or comfort too much, except for the raised bit at the rear of the standard seat.... I've spent some substantial demo & test ride time on each of the Ryker models, and can't say that the seat or lip at the back was much of an issue for me, altho I'm an inch or so shorter & a little lighter (altho I do have a longer inseam than most) even on the Rally - but then these things often really are very subjective... what works for me might not work for you or anyone else.

Maybe you should see if you can get a longer ride on a demo model, or do one of the intro courses that BRP runs, similar to the Western Demo Tour Cptjam & SpyderAnn are hosting?? I believe someone's doing one in your part of the World?! Fairly cheap way to spend a fair whack of the day on a Ryker, AND if you're anything like me/many of us, you might even be reminded about some skills/techniques that you once knew/used but have let slip a little of late? Check cptjam's thread out here:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...tern-Demo-Tour

Or you could just stick with your RT - despite the miles I've done on the various Rykers and the attraction of the shaft drive, better ground clearance, & the somewhat relaxed Nanny, I'm still not impressed enough with any of the alternative 3 wheeled offerings from BRP/Can-Am to give up my (slightly enhanced) 2013 RT Ltd!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I am 230# and own a Ryker Rally and a Spyder RT-S. The Ryker fits me just fine and is a significantly different ride than the RT. With the adjustable foot pegs and bars, you can adjust things to be comfortable. I did add the comfort seat. I also added the Jockey Shifter, making switching from forward to reverse less awkward. I ride with my brother a lot, and he usually rides the Ryker (small guy).

You might think about taking a rider course near you. If you link to the registration through BRP it is only $99. They mainly use Rykers.
    2012 Viper Red RT-S (Sold)
    2020 Ryker Rally
    2023 Plasma Red F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Appreciate all the comments. The back of the seat is the problem. That's why I was wondering if the comfort seat would be a better fit. We have two spyders a '13 and '15. The '13 is my wifes. I bought the comfort seat with backrest for my bike and it made a big difference. I put my seat with backrest on hers and every time I'm on hers I am reminded of how tight the fit was in comparison to the comfort seat. I believe one of our local dealerships has a Ryker with a comfort seat. I'll go by there and adjust the footpegs and see how it feels. The other option is once more '22s arrive trade both for 1 RT base. Due to my wife never riding her Spyder anymore.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

My .02, because I have a keyboard and am avoiding the work I need to do today.

I'm 5'11 and go about 240 ish, Ryker feels fine to me. I sit at the back edge of the seat and the pegs aren't fully extended out (1 notch left). With a couple of extra inches you may need a different seat that puts you a little further back for comfort. I don't use the shifter, my feet work it fine (think on a curve and not straight and it will be easier with longer legs). The only problem I see is that my hikers tend to scuff up the shifter side. i can live with it, not a show bike and it gets plenty dirty. I don't do long rides, maybe an hour one way sometimes. Most rides are about 30 minutes one way. The longest ride I have done was 2.5 hours one way and I was a little uncomfortable, but I was a new to the bike and have modified my riding position and peg placement since then. For me, I don't think I would want to ride for hours on end. I just like to ride it for fun, and to save gas sometimes instead of taking my truck.

Spyder Garage

You’re only a little fella, EDBLU. At least you can consider a Ryker. If I even LOOK at a Ryker on a showroom floor, it completely collapses in a heap.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    You’re only a little fella, EDBLU. At least you can consider a Ryker. If I even LOOK at a Ryker on a showroom floor, it completely collapses in a heap.

Pete
    No Pete, they collapse in fear & trepidation when they see you even look at the door to the showroom & consider opening it!

2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I've had a 2020 Ryker Rally for just under 2 years and have recently traded it in a private deal for another vehicle. I'm 6' and about 240 and I was very comfortable on the Ryker. I rode it with the foot pegs fully extended to the front, had the drivers Comfort Seat with a backrest and I could ride it all day with no issues. I always rode it in Sport mode. As far as maintenance costs, it has never been in the shop for anything, and I did my own maintenance as far as fluids and filter changes, and all accessories was installed myself, I just dont trust the grease monkeys at the dealerships. I can say it was a solid fun machine, but I didnt beat the crap out of it either, I took care of it, and in turn it took care of me. If you get one Edblu, you'll enjoy it. If not, they sell quickly and maintain their value very well because demand is still very high on these machines.
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    No Pete, they collapse in fear & trepidation when they see you even look at the door to the showroom & consider opening it!
    Hahaha……I remember heading off for a horse ride a few years ago, Peter. The look of sheer terror on the horse’s face as I approached it was heartbreaking. The farm owner actually went back in and brought out a workhorse for me.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RykerRick View Post
    I've had a 2020 Ryker Rally for just under 2 years and have recently traded it in a private deal for another vehicle. I'm 6' and about 240 and I was very comfortable on the Ryker. I rode it with the foot pegs fully extended to the front, had the drivers Comfort Seat with a backrest and I could ride it all day with no issues. I always rode it in Sport mode. As far as maintenance costs, it has never been in the shop for anything, and I did my own maintenance as far as fluids and filter changes, and all accessories was installed myself, I just dont trust the grease monkeys at the dealerships. I can say it was a solid fun machine, but I didnt beat the crap out of it either, I took care of it, and in turn it took care of me. If you get one Edblu, you'll enjoy it. If not, they sell quickly and maintain their value very well because demand is still very high on these machines.
    Thanks for the info
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I suspect the lower ride height is quite different from a Spyder. The comfort seat and backrest are good additions. From what I have read, aftermarket seats like Corbin sit higher.

The belt on the Ryker is different than the Spyder belt. It is an integral part of the CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) and will naturally be subject to more wear. Not terribly expensive if you do your own repairs.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    I suspect the lower ride height is quite different from a Spyder. The comfort seat and backrest are good additions. From what I have read, aftermarket seats like Corbin sit higher.

The belt on the Ryker is different than the Spyder belt. It is an integral part of the CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) and will naturally be subject to more wear. Not terribly expensive if you do your own repairs.
    Corbin seat is a definite upgrade does away with that whole seat ridge issue, and then handle bar risers let's you adjust the arm position, shorter or longer. One observation, If you did not notice you will do more work with arms on a Ryker than your RT or a 2 wheel bike, I love that connected feel just like a manual steering sports car. But this is just the feelings of a short 6ft 200 lb er

Spyder Garage

You may want to have this moved to main Ryker forum, it's in the shop talk forum now.

Spyder Garage

I joined just to post, I am 6'5" and about 340lbs and it fits me fine.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by beefcrinkle View Post
    That’s good to hear, Beef…… I’d love to see a photo……I always got ribbed about looking like a giraffe on a skateboard by my riding mates…….and that was on an F3-L

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by beefcrinkle View Post
    Did you change anything out? like the seat?
    2015 RT , Black