Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Alaska Leather sheepskin pad vs. butt buffer

Please give me your experiences with these two products with respect to alleviating butt pain to ride longer.

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fuelie60 View Post
    Please give me your experiences with these two products with respect to alleviating butt pain to ride longer.
    I have never tried “butt buffer” nor have I ever heard of them. I do have, and use constantly, the Alaska Leather Sheepskin and totally love it. I will “Never Leave Home Without It”!

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

I've found the only thing that works for me on multi-day 8 hour chunks is an Airhawk or WildAss air cushion. I've tried sheepskin and beads but neither come close to longevity in the saddle. If you set the right amount of air, you'll 'float' ~1/8 in and still 'feel' the seat when cornering.

Without the air cushion, I'm feeling it after 3-4 hours.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Does it help with butt fatigue?

Spyder Garage

I meant does the sheep skin pad help with butt fatigue

Spyder Garage

A user of AK leather sheepskin pads for many years. Bought mine direct from their store when I lived near Anchorage.

We don't use them all the time, but they are in both our trunks if we need a change of seating.

They do work as advertised. PS. Ours are the sheepskin/gel variety.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I’ve got a butt buffer and the Alaska sheepskin and the air hawk pads.

The air hawk is better for me than the butt buffer.
    The Alaska sheep skin is great but I don’t have a lot of experience with it yet however currently I have the sheep shin on top of the air hawk and I like that pretty good.
    The air hawk will ease sore butt syndrome with just a little bit of air so you can feel slight side to side weight shifting.
    The butt buffer is thinner and has a bead like surface to allow air circulation which helps reduce damp butt.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-07-2022 at 05:09 PM. Reason: sore but = sore butt... ;-)

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Spyder Garage

so the butt buffer is too thin to help with butt pain?

Spyder Garage

so the butt buffer is too thin to help with butt pain?
    I
    The butt buffer didn’t work as well for me.

Air hawk is great!

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YPILOT View Post
    I’ve got a butt buffer and the Alaska sheepskin and the air hawk pads.

The air hawk is better for me than the butt buffer.
    The Alaska sheep skin is great but I don’t have a lot of experience with it yet however currently I have the sheep shin on top of the air hawk and I like that pretty good.
    The air hawk will ease sore butt syndrome with just a little bit of air so you can feel slight side to side weight shifting.
    The butt buffer is thinner and has a bead like surface to allow air circulation which helps reduce damp butt.
    You got reviews on both the ones you asked for PLUS the Airhawk. I also have one of those. They work well alone and in combo with the AK sheepskin.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I haven't heard of the "Butt Buffer" and have not used an Airhawj. I do have a Sheep Skin seat pad from Alaska Leather. The Sheep Skin has served me well and has over 100,000 miles on it (under me) when I was still riding my BMWs. Sheep Skins are fairly common among BMW and ADV riders. It doesn't eliminate butt fatigue, but (play on words there) it does postpone it.
    2015 F3S , Orange

Spyder Garage

I have both also. I use the Misty Mountain Sheepskin cover for most ryding. The Butt Buffer seat cover is also a good pad to use. I have it under the sheepskin on the passenger seat my wife uses it . I find the sheepskin cover works for me on hot days and on cold days. Since I added the sheepskin cover I can ryde as long as I want without a sore butt. I keep the Butt Buffer gel seat pad on the Spyder in case of rain. I can take off the sheepskin put in sidecase and use the Butt Buffer for ryding until the rain stops. I think the Sheepskin cover from Lamonster Garage was the better buy. JMO
    2017 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic Chrome
    2017 RTL , Asphalt Grey Mettalic

Spyder Garage

Have a custom saddle made to fit you. I’ve had Russel day long and a couple of Laamseats. I like the Laam better. The sheepskin allows air to circulate, so you are more comfortable. The properly fitted saddle eliminates butt pain. Worth every penny! We normally do 30,000 miles a year. I could never do that on a stock saddle. The guy who won the IBA championship, rides on a Laam seat. Getting a different seat (ultimate, Sargent, Corbin) is a gamble: it is a custom saddle, but not customized to your butt! If it hurts, it’s no fun!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

A properly adjusted Airhawk is great for both my wife and I. I don't believe the others can adjust seating. I also take the Airhawk to my poor, old, slow V-max"s hard as a rock Corbin when flying low on the Max.
    Lew L
    Last edited by Lew L; 03-08-2022 at 07:06 AM.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Which Airhawk cushion fits the 20+ RTL best? or did I miss the CanAm seat cushions on the Airhawk website? Based on the Butt Buffer size chart for Can Am (17.5" x 14") I would guess that a Large Airhawk Cruiser R Large (14” L X 14.5” W) would be best for Spyders.

Airhawk https://airhawk.net/product-category/seat-cushions/

Butt Buffer https://buttbuffer.com/benefits/fit-...torcycle-seat/
    Last edited by GFrog; 03-08-2022 at 10:43 AM.
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky Mystery Blue
    2009 Suzuki Boulevard M50 SE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GFrog View Post
    Which Airhawk cushion fits the 20+ RTL best? or did I miss the CanAm seat cushions on the Airhawk website? Based on the Butt Buffer size chart for Can Am (17.5" x 14") I would guess that a Large Airhawk Cruiser R Large (14” L X 14.5” W) would be best for Spyders.

Airhawk https://airhawk.net/product-category/seat-cushions/

Butt Buffer https://buttbuffer.com/benefits/fit-...torcycle-seat/

Yes. The large cruiser R works great. I like mine while my wife prefers her Alaska Leather sheepskin. We have put back to back 600+ miles a day on several of our bikes with this combination. All on stock seats.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you're suffering "butt discomfort" do as Joe said. Just cut loose with the bucks and get a Laam or Russel and be done with it. Joe knows better than anyone how to solve monkey butt, as I call it. However, if you enjoy the suffering stay away from the good stuff.
    Last edited by 2dogs; 03-08-2022 at 02:07 PM.

Spyder Garage

Now, now , everyone's butts are and pockets books are different!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I have a Laam seat, but I still use seat beads on long trips in hot weather as they keep air circulating. Plus, beads keep your butt from getting wet in the rain.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Now, now , everyone's butts are and pockets books are different!!!
    No Mikey they are all the same. Their butt hurts and they don't want to fork out the bucks for a quilty seat. If you can afford the ride, you can afford the seat.

Spyder Garage

Want to give me a loan???
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I've gone thru too many rides to 'invest' in an after-market seat. It's an expensive crap-shoot that may not solve the problem. The Airhawk or equivalent is portable and WORKS for about $100.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    I've gone thru too many rides to 'invest' in an after-market seat. It's an expensive crap-shoot that may not solve the problem. The Airhawk or equivalent is portable and WORKS for about $100.
    Another thing to think about is what are you wearing on longer rides? Don't mean to get personal here, but I prefer "tightie whities", for everyday wear, but the seams in those are killer on a long riding day. If planning a long day I switch to a pair of seamless bicycle shorts under my tourmaster pants and that makes a huge difference in all day comfort. I drank the kool-aid once and sprang for high dollar seat. Wasn't as great as it was supposed to be UNTIL I got advice from a Iron Butt rider. Stock seat, Air Hawk, and choose your riding pants carefully. Been working for us ever since.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Have to agree about the seams. But I (and my wife) loved our RDL.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    Another thing to think about is what are you wearing on longer rides? Don't mean to get personal here, but I prefer "tightie whities", for everyday wear, but the seams in those are killer on a long riding day. If planning a long day I switch to a pair of seamless bicycle shorts under my tourmaster pants and that makes a huge difference in all day comfort. I drank the kool-aid once and sprang for high dollar seat. Wasn't as great as it was supposed to be UNTIL I got advice from a Iron Butt rider. Stock seat, Air Hawk, and choose your riding pants carefully. Been working for us ever since.
    +1......
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow