Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Why are so many not using Daytime Driving Lights?

Why are so many drivers NOT USING their DDL? It's a safety feature that most every automobile manufacturer has had standard since before '2000. In our rural area of west central Minnesota, less than 40% use their DDL. Our LEO's have never used them! I do not believe they save that much on the battery with all the LED lighting now days. Our commercial trucks around here are very good about having them on, and all of the motorcycles it is mandatory. I just wish everyone would Turn Them ON! DDL are as important as seatbelts, they let you be seen so you don't wear out your seatbelts! JMHO.... Just Venting...Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

I totally agree!
    2020RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by woods View Post
    I totally agree!
    I always turn them on in my 2007 Chevy Avalanche. ... and they come on automatically in our 2016 Genesis 3.8L. Everyone should use them!
    2014 RTL bought in 3/20 with only 6,000 mi.
    Came with Garmin 660
    Car tires in 5/20; Elka stage 2 front shocks in 10/21

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't disagree. Here's another point, prior to "cages" having them, as stated above only motorcycles had them. Since motorcycles only had them, we were much more visible therefore, in theory increasing safety. Dale

Spyder Garage

The older I get, the less bullet-proof I feel. I want to be seen! The DRLs in my old Buick are automatic (I think). I just leave the light setting on AUTO and it all works, day and night. Maybe there's a way to turn the DRLs off but I don't know, or care to know, what that might be.

FYI: I had one DRL burn out a while back. I read where both should be replaced when that happens. The lights lose some brightness over time. After replacing the bad bulb, I checked and sure enough the new light was MUCH brighter that the old one so I replaced it too..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I also love those guys who drive at night with just the daytime running lights on. THis means dim lights and no tail lights, not a good thing.
    Witht he new digital gauges they are lit up and they can see them so they think the lights are on. WIth the old analog gauges, without the lights on you couldnt see them, so it was a dead giveway that something was amiss.
    Here in MI with the snow and white outs, it is always the white cars that run without headlights and tail lights on.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

With the DDL for all moving vehicles on the roadway. It's a safety issue. However with that being said, if one cannot see another vehicle coming at them if that vehicle doesn't have its headlights on, what can I say. You shouldn't be on the road. You are the safety risk. Get your head out or where the sun doesn't shine and pay attention to your driving. That's meant for everyone, not just SL's, myself included.

Spyder Garage

Actually, I'd rather only motorcycles have DRLs so we are obvious to on-coming traffic. If all cages have DRLs on, bikes become lost in the noise. If the day comes that I need everyone to run DRLs for me to see them, it's time for me to park.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

The only person we have control over is ourselves. I do all I can. And I raised my 2 boys to use DRL's. But beyond that. I'm not sure how much can be done. I am getting tired of the government dictating everything to us. (though they don't seem to be tiring of it at all) So, not a big fan of that solution.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

All the GM Vehicles I have had, had them come on when the key was turned on. The only way to turn them off was depressing the parking brake. The Hyundai the lights can be turn off.
    2010 RT
    2015 Ural
    1980 & 1982 R65 BMW
    1975 R90/6 BMW
    1956 Triumph TR3A

Spyder Garage

All Canadian sold vehicles have had then since about 1990. I wish they were required in the US. Great to see oncoming traffic, especially for vehicles that are coloured close to pavement colour.
    2019 F3 base
    Shad saddlebags with Admore led light kit
    BajaRon swaybar
    Hopnel mini bra
    BRP driver's backrest
    Madstad windshield
    Ultimate floorboards
    CanAm Spyder accessories rear shelf with LinQ adapter

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knizar View Post
    Why are so many drivers NOT USING their DDL?
    Is there an interesting incident behind this?
    In Las Vegas, the issue is vehicles without lights at night!
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    ...With the old analog gauges, without the lights on you couldn't see them (gauges)
    Yes, and lights on, no gauges = taillight fuse blown.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110

Spyder Garage

Mine come on automatically when I start my truck or car. I also have a sensor on the dash that detects when the light outside drops sufficiently and automatically turns on the headlights/taillights. I don't have to worry about the battery running down because they turn off a few minutes after I turn off the engine.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

My Subaru and both F3's have the driving lights on when the motor is running.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

My 2007 and MANY other Chevy and GMC pickups and SUVs built in the late 90's up to Late 2000's have a burned out Right Side Running Light!!??

But I'll bet you don't know why it's never repaired(??)
    You have to remove the right front wheel and tire and some of the right front fender parts to get to the light and to replace the burned out bulb!!!! What a Crock of Crap! I was told by a Chevy rep that they stopped putting the bulb in the newer units; but that seems pretty far fetched to believe. .... Although I've seen quite a few newer model years with just the driver side RL working. Very Strange!!??
    2014 RTL bought in 3/20 with only 6,000 mi.
    Came with Garmin 660
    Car tires in 5/20; Elka stage 2 front shocks in 10/21

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Ddl

All my vehicles have the DDL that come on automatically. I guess that is good for me. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    Actually, I'd rather only motorcycles have DRLs so we are obvious to on-coming traffic. If all cages have DRLs on, bikes become lost in the noise. If the day comes that I need everyone to run DRLs for me to see them, it's time for me to park.
    This is why I ran modulators on my GL1800. Otherwise, motorcycles blend into the surrounding traffic and are thought to be much farther away due to single or narrow-spaced lights.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RickWB View Post
    All Canadian sold vehicles have had then since about 1990. I wish they were required in the US. Great to see oncoming traffic, especially for vehicles that are coloured close to pavement colour.
    Motorcycles in Canada have had them since 1976.
    When I took my motorcycle test, the inspector was checking me on all the controls.
    When he told me to turn on my lights. I went to kickstart the motor and he starts yelling, I told to turn on the damn lights not start the damn bike.
    I was laughing so hard I almost tipped over. He goes what's so efing funny.
    I had to tell him that all the new bikes had no light switch and you had to start the bike so they would come no.
    He didn't believe me and I had to show him the owners manual, and he still went and got another inspector.
    Believe it or not I pasted the test.

Spyder Garage

Surprised your bike needed to be started, rather than just key on.

Other than mirrors (CA Vehicle Code 26709) required since 1959, most California motorcycle equipment laws were enacted after I started riding on the street in 1963:
    Taillight must remain illuminated for at least 15 minutes without engine running (CVC 24253a) 1971
    Turn signals (CVC 24951) 1973, which allowed me to remove them on on 1972 Enduros
    Headlights required to be on with engine (CV 25650.5) 1978
    Helmet required (CVC 27802) 1985

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by redrazor View Post
    My 2007 and MANY other Chevy and GMC pickups and SUVs built in the late 90's up to Late 2000's have a burned out Right Side Running Light!!??

But I'll bet you don't know why it's never repaired(??)
    You have to remove the right front wheel and tire and some of the right front fender parts to get to the light and to replace the burned out bulb!!!! What a Crock of Crap! I was told by a Chevy rep that they stopped putting the bulb in the newer units; but that seems pretty far fetched to believe. .... Although I've seen quite a few newer model years with just the driver side RL working. Very Strange!!??

I looked in my owners manual when I needed to replace my 2011 Buick Enclave DRL. It said to take the vehicle to a dealer for light bulb replacement!!!!! What a crock! YouTube is my friend. I researched a bit. All I did was turn the wheels all the way to one side, remove 6 plastic screws from the fender liner and reach my hand into the fender well to unscrew the bulb holder. Insert a new bulb, and replace the screws. Start to finish it took me maybe 20 minutes to change both sides. The hardest part of the job was getting my 74 YO fat behind off the ground after everything was done..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I personally do not like daytime lights. My first motorcyle the headlight did not come on unless I turned it on. I will never buy a vehicle that I can not turn them off. Just the way I am. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Maybe there are many more people than we know of who are part of this group: https://www.lightsout.org/

The Association of Drivers Against Daytime Running Lights - DADRL - is actively working to stop governments and manufacturers from installing Daytime Running Lights (DRLs) on motor vehicles. There is no conclusive evidence to show that DRLs are effective at reducing crashes. Rather, there are a number of safety-negative side effects of DRLs on automobiles, including emitting excessive glare to other drivers, masking of other vulnerable road users, and increased energy consumption. Please browse our pages to learn more about how DRLs are an ill-conceived safety gimmick and how you can help us to combat them.

My Mods:
    Elka Stage 5 rear shock with spring preload adjust
    Monster Stage 2 ECU
    Pedal Commander
    RLS cat delete
    Baja Ron sway bar
    Baker Air Wings upper and lower
    Viking saddle bags
    Third pegs
    Vredestein tires front and rear
    Mad Stad windshield
    X-creen windshield deflector
    Front and rear drive cam
    Garmin Zumo XT
    Heated gear wiring
    Lamonster LED headlights
    Lamonster LED foglights
    Lamonster frame mount cupholder
    BRP heated handgrips
    Lamonster drivers backrest
    BRP passenger backrest
    Lidlock handlebar end helmet locks
    Barkbusters Storm handguards
    2020 F3S-SS , Titanium/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yabbadabbadoo View Post
    Maybe there are many more people than we know of who are part of this group: https://www.lightsout.org/

The Association of Drivers Against Daytime Running Lights - DADRL - is actively working to stop governments and manufacturers from installing Daytime Running Lights (DRLs) on motor vehicles. There is no conclusive evidence to show that DRLs are effective at reducing crashes. Rather, there are a number of safety-negative side effects of DRLs on automobiles, including emitting excessive glare to other drivers, masking of other vulnerable road users, and increased energy consumption. Please browse our pages to learn more about how DRLs are an ill-conceived safety gimmick and how you can help us to combat them.
    My point exactly! All those cars running DRLs make seeing bikes with DRLs harder to see.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I' m too old to argue with such a worthy Association, next it will be street lights any blinking lights! Cleaning your eye glasses or windshield will cut down on the glare! (To each there own)..........Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"