Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Shifting problem - SE6 won't select N without using R button! Ideas?

Hi Folks,
    I hope someone can help with a shifting problem that has developed. I have a 2018 Spyder RT LTD, SE6 version. Just recently I am not able to shift into reverse from neutral. When I start the machine it goes into neutral and I can shift to 1 and then up to 6 as I ride. No problems upshifting or riding. However. When I stop I cannot shift from 1 into Neutral or Reverse. I am using the R button on top when trying to go into reverse. It will not shift to N from 1 without the R button being pushed either. I am thinking that it is the Multi-Function switch or the Reverse actuator. Any way for a layman to trouble shoot to see what might be going on? Isn't there supposed to be an LED light on the top of the Reverse button to show when you hit it? I do not see a light coming on.

I have checked the fluid level, it looks ok.

Thanks,
    Semper Fi
    Gary Blevins

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There is no light on the R button. Press and hold the R button, then press the downshift paddle. If that doesnt work, are you able to downshift manually when riding? If not, then your paddle shifter is most likely bad and requres repacement of the left hand comtrols.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question Maybe this?

When I start the machine it goes into neutral
    Do you leave the transmission in gear when you turn off the ignition?

When I stop I cannot shift from 1 into Neutral or Reverse.
    This is the new symptom -- correct?

If you are pushing the shift paddle without any change in the console display (N or R), the left hand control is probably the problem. There's a good possibility cleaning will fix the problem but I have no experience with that.

If you are pushing the shift paddle and are hearing noise from the gearbox solenoids, then a linkage adjustment or lubrication may be needed.
    Last edited by BertRemington; 02-17-2022 at 06:38 PM. Reason: wording
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    There is no light on the R button. Press and hold the R button, then press the downshift paddle. If that doesnt work, are you able to downshift manually when riding? If not, then your paddle shifter is most likely bad and requres repacement of the left hand comtrols.
    .... The "R" button must be depressed and held down then use the down paddle ..... use two hands to do this ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

And, make sure you are putting your foot on the brake. If memory is correct, the brakes need to be on before the bike will go to reverse. A good cleaning of the micro-switches involved should help too. Good luck...... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    And, make sure you are putting your foot on the brake. If memory is correct, the brakes need to be on before the bike will go to reverse. A good cleaning of the micro-switches involved should help too. Good luck...... Jim
    For some strange reason BRP made sure that going from neutral to first required the use of the brake pedal. Going from first or neutral into reverse does not, only that the Spyder not be moving.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Need a little Help

Welcome to the Spyder Forum.
    Need a little more information about your Spyder problem.
    First off, have you tried the tips that have been presented.
    Did anything change for you?
    Is this something new or has this been happening off and on?
    Please Help us out so someone can help you with this issue. .......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member ottawa-rider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Have you tried manually downshifting while riding and did it work.

There was a service bulletin in 2018-2019 about the shifting paddle going bad on the 2018's and it had to be replaced, that problem mostly affected downshifting. Sorry for the poor quality of the poster.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ottawa-rider; 02-18-2022 at 09:07 AM.
    2018 RT LTD , Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the help. I am applying the brake when I try to shift into R. I am pushing the R button and using the downshift paddle, but it is not shifting into R. This is a new problem. I have not tried to manually downshift, but I will give it a try today.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Do you have any extended warranty left? If so, have the dealer replace the left hand switch module. If you're not aware, the shift signal from the switch to the transmission control module is a digital signal. The left hand module is a processor connected to the Canbus so most likely it is not sending the proper signal. The switches on the printed circuit board are bubble switches which means they are very difficult, if not impossible, to fix.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

18s had a switch problem as ottawa said. Mine needed replacing after 1000mi. As stated if you can't downshift manually at all it's the whole left assmbly.
    2020RTL

Spyder Garage

Thanks for your help. I just dropped it off at my dealer. They are closed today, so I will not have word from them till Tues. or Wed. I was able to drive over fine, it would manually upshift and auto downshift, but it will not manually downshift. As several folks have suggested I am pretty sure that it is the left Multi-Function switch. It is out of warranty, but if it is a known defect is there a chance that Can-Am/BRP would replace the switch for me?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

there was a service bulletin so the should take care of it

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GaryBlevins View Post
    Thanks for your help. I just dropped it off at my dealer. They are closed today, so I will not have word from them till Tues. or Wed. I was able to drive over fine, it would manually upshift and auto downshift, but it will not manually downshift. As several folks have suggested I am pretty sure that it is the left Multi-Function switch. It is out of warranty, but if it is a known defect is there a chance that Can-Am/BRP would replace the switch for me?
    The next question will be is there one in stock anywhere? You may end up going to eBay or a motorcycle salvage yard to find one.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Hi Folks,
    I hope someone can help with a shifting problem that has developed. I have a 2018 Spyder RT LTD, SE6 version. Just recently I am not able to shift into reverse from neutral. When I start the machine it goes into neutral and I can shift to 1 and then up to 6 as I ride. No problems upshifting or riding. However. When I stop I cannot shift from 1 into Neutral or Reverse. I am using the R button on top when trying to go into reverse. It will not shift to N from 1 without the R button being pushed either. I am thinking that it is the Multi-Function switch or the Reverse actuator. Any way for a layman to trouble shoot to see what might be going on? Isn't there supposed to be an LED light on the top of the Reverse button to show when you hit it? I do not see a light coming on.

I have checked the fluid level, it looks ok.

Thanks,
    Semper Fi
    Gary Blevins
    The good news, if you can call it that, is you’re not alone. I am having the exact same problem. Bike will not shift into Reverse. Bike will not shift into Neutral unless I turn the engine off and restart it. Bike will not allow me to manually downshift, though it does automatically downshift on its own. The problem was traced to a faulty Left Hand Switch Cluster.

Replacement was covered under my warranty, so there is not going to be any out of pocket expense for me. Now for the bad news. According to my dealership, that particular part is on back order, and BRP was not expecting to “release it” (whatever that means) until July. I’ve been waiting on this part since the 19th of Oct, 2021. My guess is it’s sitting on a container ship someplace god only knows where. It might even have been held up by the “Freedom Truckers” up on the Canadian border, I don’t know. The dealership told me those electrical components come out of Asia. I talked with the dealership last month and they said it was not expected to be released by BRP until July. I don’t think it is something you can just take apart, clean and put back together again. I called a number of dealerships in Washington, and after checking their computers, they all told me the same thing, out of stock and not expected to be released by BRP until July.

Hopefully your dealership has one on a shelf in the back room someplace.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    Last edited by BertRemington; 02-21-2022 at 09:02 PM. Reason: added 2nd switch
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

This one looks like the right one. My concern is if it's DOA or not the right one, the seller does not accept returns.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

The part # for this one matches the part # for the 2018 & 2019 F3. Whether it will work on the RT I don't know. The RT part # is 710006574.

This is for older Spyders so no, it's not the right one.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Here's a little bit clearer copy of the warranty bulletin I happened to come across. I can email you the PDF if you want.

2018 LH switch bulletin pg 1..jpg

2018 LH switch bulletin pg 2.jpg
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 02-21-2022 at 11:09 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Default Expires 7/31/2020 ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Here's a little bit clearer copy of the warranty bulletin I happened to come across. I can email you the PDF if you want.

2018 LH switch bulletin pg 1..jpg

2018 LH switch bulletin pg 2.jpg
    Just noticed that the Warranty Bulletin has already Expired. It shows the date of 7/31/2020. Not sure if BRP will make it happen for you.

Spyder Garage

Default See Post #20

See Post Number 20.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    The part # for this one matches the part # for the 2018 & 2019 F3. Whether it will work on the RT I don't know. The RT part # is 710006574.

This is for older Spyders so no, it's not the right one.
    Your right, I just noticed that. Since they have different part numbers I'm guessing they are not compatible.
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

Just talked to the dealer, they first said 4-5 days for the part now they are saying back ordered till July also. Guess I will get it back from them and try to ride it w/o reverse until July.

Spyder Garage

Deleted because of incorrect info.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 02-22-2022 at 01:40 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Just talked to the dealer, they first said 4-5 days for the part now they are saying back ordered till July also. Guess I will get it back from them and try to ride it w/o reverse until July.
    Yup, that's the same thing I'm being told. Back in Oct it was 8-10 days. Then it was early Dec. then Jan, then June, now July. I plan to go get mine here in the next week or so. I didn't mind it sitting at the dealership over the winter, but July is like half the riding season gone already. And what happens in July when they say Sept or Oct? I'll just have to be sure not to park anyplace that requires me to back up.
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired