Spyder Garage

Default Tire Pressure Science

Is there any science behind the suggestion to use 18-20 lbs of pressure in the front tires when using an auto tire? You know like some some calculation based on the vehicle weight and tire load specs? Or is it all based on individual rider experience and how the bike handles and feels on the road?

Currently Own: 2019 Ryker Rally
    Previously Owned: 2019 F3 Spyder

Spyder Garage

The test I would use, if I were this picky, is to apply something on a small prtion of tread that will transfer to a flat, smooth medium. If, after driving the wheel across, the full width of the tread leaves an even imprint, that's the correct pressure.
    Or you can simply go by feel.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tbohman56 View Post
    You know like some some calculation based on the vehicle weight and tire load specs? Or is it all based on individual rider experience and how the bike handles and feels on the road?
    In theory, a little bit of everything you stated. Manufacturer recommended tire pressures are based on the average rider and average extra equipment, average temperature, average elevation, average road surface and condition, average vehicle handling, average etc... I'm sure you get my point.

The recommended tire pressure is a starting point. Then you adjust based on all the factors mentioned above. (it takes time)

Here is a really good video that explains the actual science behind deciding the correct tire pressure. This video is from a GP Bike Racer, but the science is the same and he also covers regular road bikes.

Have a look and then tests for all "Your" conditions and adjust accordingly. Good luck.

https://youtu.be/XaIuWKfnGEI
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky Mystery Blue
    2009 Suzuki Boulevard M50 SE

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Is there any science behind the suggestion to use 18-20 lbs of pressure in the front tires when using an auto tire? You know like some some calculation based on the vehicle weight and tire load specs? Or is it all based on individual rider experience and how the bike handles and feels on the road?
    Yes .....lots and lots ...... and yours or anyone else's Butts are not Science .....Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 02-01-2022 at 06:59 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, there is a bit of science, but most of that applies to what the manufacturer might call "intended use".

The cars for which the tires are intended weigh considerably more than any Spyder, so you can deduce that pressures for the Spyder would be less than for the cars. HOW MUCH less gets into the "guesswork and experience" category.

That is when you will have to trust all the ones that have done it before you, and use that as YOUR starting point to start your own experiences.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    Yes, there is a bit of science, but most of that applies to what the manufacturer might call "intended use".

The cars for which the tires are intended weigh considerably more than any Spyder, so you can deduce that pressures for the Spyder would be less than for the cars. HOW MUCH less gets into the "guesswork and experience" category.

That is when you will have to trust all the ones that have done it before you, and use that as YOUR starting point to start your own experiences.

Well said.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Whoa Steve ..... there is a lot more than a bit of science involved in this ..... I spent months in school learning to become a certified " accident investigator " .. ( for my Police dept. ) .... The tires can be the determining factor as to " WHY this accident occurred ..... so, many many days were spent on " just ties " .... I've seen lots of video's / films ( which were proprietary and not available to the general public ) .... which showed how tires reacted to dozens of variables under varied weather conditions .... The advice Peter and I supply are based on this Science ..... and are fairly accurate considering they are aimed at the general user..... Hope this is useful info ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Yes .....lots and lots ...... and yours or anyone else's Butts are not Science .....Mike
    Unless their butts are the subject of scientific inquiry, of course...
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Short answer, yes & no. Go search Tire PSI on this site and make a conclusion from that info.

Spyder Garage

~~~IIRC the tires on the 2019 Ryker Rally were identical on the 2020 Ryker Rally I rode and owned (since traded in on a 21’ Spyder RTL). I’m curious if the question you pose here has anything to do with the Ryker Rally or, the front tires used on Spyders, which seems to be the general dogma discussed regarding front tire pressure

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    It’s never too late to have a happy childhood
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Short answer, yes & no. Go search Tire PSI on this site and make a conclusion from that info.
    And take a couple aspirin before you start, you'll need them!!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shakin_jake View Post
    ~~~IIRC the tires on the 2019 Ryker Rally were identical on the 2020 Ryker Rally I rode and owned (since traded in on a 21’ Spyder RTL). I’m curious if the question you pose here has anything to do with the Ryker Rally or, the front tires used on Spyders, which seems to be the general dogma discussed regarding front tire pressure

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    It’s never too late to have a happy childhood
    Yes, it does have to do with the Ryker Rally. Just replaced front tires with 165/50R16 and only one other person (that I know of) has made this change on the Ryker.

Currently Own: 2019 Ryker Rally
    Previously Owned: 2019 F3 Spyder

Spyder Garage

Yes, it does have to do with the Ryker Rally. Just replaced front tires with 165/50R16 and only one other person (that I know of) has made this change on the Ryker.

~~~Roger that, thank you

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

It is all smoke and mirrors! ( and what all the self appointed experts say on the forum ) I would go along with the manufacturers suggestions and good common sense which today seems a little hard to find. The absolute pressure is kind of like picking the Fly Specks

out of the "sugar bowl". Opinions on tire pressure are like noses, everyone has one.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    It is all smoke and mirrors! ( and what all the self appointed experts say on the forum ) I would go along with the manufacturers suggestions and good common sense which today seems a little hard to find. The absolute pressure is kind of like picking the Fly Specks

out of the "sugar bowl". Opinions on tire pressure are like noses, everyone has one.

Jack
    Sooo... You're saying that even with car tires, you'd go 15-17# front (OK) and 28# rear? Or would you use the car tire MFR pressure ratings of 35# ??

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Yes. Start there (18 on rear). Drive for 30 min or more to get tires warmed up. If you see 4 psi increase warm over cold you’re golden. Less than 4psi increase you are over-inflated, and vice-versa.
    2016 F3-T , Intense Red Pearl