Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default About to order a Sypder. Final opinions please.

Despite the cost, maintenance issues, and dealers disappearing, I'm about to pull the trigger on an '09 SE5 for my wife. The same warnings were out there about my BMW GSAdv, and it has turned out to be the best bike that I've ever owned. BMW has stood behind any issues that I've experienced and I expect that Can-Am will do the same.

So, that said, it's almost too late to talk me out of it but I still want to hear some last minute good/bad stuff that you've experienced.

The biggest concern I have right now is that I have heard some dealers are charging in excess of 5 hours labor for scheduled maintenance? Is this really true? I plan on taking the machine in for its first service and then doing the basic mx myself or having it done at the local speed-shop, but if it needs to go in to the dealer those hours can add up QUICKLY.

With the promotion going on right now, what would you buy with the $1k in free accessories?

Currently considering:

- Passenger backrest. I guess the sport-rack is required too.
    - Sport-touring shield.

Also looking at:

- Free upgrade to 6-spoke wheels.
    - No Magic Neon 4" risers.
    - I have some grip heaters that I never installed on my bike that I may put on the Spyder.

Other initial must have items?

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

buy it... you won't regret it... People tend to exagerate the bad and not look at the good. I think people here would agree there has been more good than bad with the spyder. Sure we have had some hiccups and one or two lemons... but for the most part the spyder has been a blast and one of the most fun toys I have ever owned. Being a new ride it is bound to have a few glitches that need to be worked out...As far as accessories, the NMN risers are a definite plus for comfort (at least for me), and if you go on long rides probably a different seat, and a windshield. For me the stock shield had to go.. I kept getting practically blown off the bike when on the interstate or when a truck would pass by. I got a tall shield for touring and I love it. Everything else is performance or bling, depends on what your preferences are. Enjoy! It will be the source of much fun.
    Wow what a ride!! Love my spyder!!

Spyder Garage

I'd say go for the risers and seat. Wheels are cosmetic and do nothing to improve your comfort. I had a chance to ride an SE5 in Gatlinburg last week that had a Corbin seat. Incredible compared to the stock seat. Many are happy with the stock seat or the new BRP comfort seat however.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

For me the fun factor out weighs the problems I've had with my spyder. The service charges are quite high ($829.00 for my 12k service) but I have a service policy and that helps. If your wife is going to be riding alot this would be a good investment. Some do their own work, some don't do anything but change their and have not had any problems.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Maintenance costs are higher than most bikes due to complex electronics and required BRP BUDS hook ups. Yes, much of the routine maintenance can be done at home of by other mechanics, but most anything elctronic needs BUDS and only dealers have that. $235 for 600 mile service, did 3,000 mile service myself (oil and filter $65) and $500 for 6,000 mile service at dealer. $800 for first year maintenance for me.

Spyder Garage

We've owned a Spyder for a couple of seasons now, and have been very satisfied. So satisfied I just signed the papers for a second (Spyder RT-S). I don't think you will regret it. I don't find the maintenance charges any more excessive than for my BMW. Both companies are kind of obsessive about maintenance needs. A couple of hours labor should do it for the 600 mile service. The 6K (12K intervals) where they are supposed to check the valves will add several labor hours, though. All-in-all, it is very worth much worth it. You can do oil changes and simple service yourself, but some things do require the dealer and his BUDS system.

Consider the comfort seat as one of your accessories.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 09-29-2009 at 06:30 PM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Wait and get the RT if you can. More bells and whistles (more cashola) but she'll be more comfortable. I like my Spyder and am going to make it into a touring bike since I can't afford an RT or the new Harley Streetglide trike and it will work but if you can, the RT is pretty cool - saw it at the BBQ - kicka$$ stereo, comfy seat, adjustable electronic windshield, TONS of storage (what women want), nice color options - blue is cool - so is the black one.

Quote Originally Posted by DUX View Post
    Despite the cost, maintenance issues, and dealers disappearing, I'm about to pull the trigger on an '09 SE5 for my wife. The same warnings were out there about my BMW GSAdv, and it has turned out to be the best bike that I've ever owned. BMW has stood behind any issues that I've experienced and I expect that Can-Am will do the same.

So, that said, it's almost too late to talk me out of it but I still want to hear some last minute good/bad stuff that you've experienced.

The biggest concern I have right now is that I have heard some dealers are charging in excess of 5 hours labor for scheduled maintenance? Is this really true? I plan on taking the machine in for its first service and then doing the basic mx myself or having it done at the local speed-shop, but if it needs to go in to the dealer those hours can add up QUICKLY.

With the promotion going on right now, what would you buy with the $1k in free accessories?

Currently considering:

- Passenger backrest. I guess the sport-rack is required too.
    - Sport-touring shield.

Also looking at:

- Free upgrade to 6-spoke wheels.
    - No Magic Neon 4" risers.
    - I have some grip heaters that I never installed on my bike that I may put on the Spyder.

Thanks!

Very Active Member GaryTheBadger's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

DUX,

Welcome and congrats on your pending purchase!

Based on your concerns, you could ask other local owners about their experience at the dealer(s) you will be using...that might ease your concerns. Post a message in your state's forum on this site.

The thing you really have going for you is right here...this very forum. Ask anything and you will get answers, quick and usually correct. Its helped me many times when my local dealer is, shall we say, behind the learning curve.

You can do many of the services yourself, and we'll help you. If you were in Northwest Arkansas, I'd readily share what I've learned in 4000 miles of self-support.

As for options, if you will have a passenger, a back rest is a must, or the torque will launch him/her right off the back. The BRP backrest does require the corresponding mounting rack. Not inexpensive.

The other option to consider is the BEST extended warranty, often at a discount if purchased during the initial deal. Use your buyer's leverage in a down economy on this luxury item.

All the other stuff can wait till you spend some time on the bike and are in a better position to decide what you want/need.
    Enjoying now: 2015 Spyder F3 SE6, 1970 Indian MM-5A, 1972 Suzuki RV90J Rover, 2017 Indian Chieftain (wife's)
    Wish-I-had-kept-them: 2008 Spyder GS SE-5, 1967 Shelby GT500 w/Paxton supercharger, 1972 DeTomaso Pantera, 1991, 1992 & 2001 Acura NSX's, 2012 V-Star 950 Tourer, various 2-, 3- and 4-wheelers
    2015 F3 SE6 , White - The fastest color!

Spyder Garage

If your wife will be the passenger, you will need passenger peg extensions and the backrest. Seat will be ok unless you plan on long trips for now. Driver will need ultra touring windshield. That should wipe out the BRP thousand, then get NMN 4" risers and ISCI floorboards. These are all comfort items. The new RT has this already set, almost.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

welcome

Just do it!
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Default Must haves . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by DUX View Post

Currently considering:
    - Passenger backrest. I guess the sport-rack is required too. (I would not)
    - Sport-touring shield. (No)

Also looking at:
    - Free upgrade to 6-spoke wheels. (free? Yes!)
    - No Magic Neon 4" risers. (yes)
    - I have some grip heaters that I never installed on my bike that I may put on the Spyder. ( I seldom use the ones on my BMW, when I do, not much effect )

Thanks!
    1st, if it is free, do the wheel upgrade. Stock is nice, but the wheel upgrade was the only cosmetic upgrade I have ever wanted. I believe there are some new wheels coming out soon, but if they are free, why not.

The only other must have is a better windshield. Skip the BRP Sport Touring. Given your history, your wife will not care for it. I recently got a set of RoboBrackets and windshield from MadStad.com - they are new product in the Spyder world. Adjustable and Excellent! Search the forum for RoboBrackets and CHAD (another adjustable windshield that gets high marks). The BRP Ultra Touring windshield is also liked by many, and of course, a few don't.

The 4" Risers will make a BIG and significant difference. People like them for handling improvements, BUT, they will change your posture an seating position - they may make the stock seat better or worse. Ditto on any custom seat you may have - I recommend you do the risers before you do the seat. There are a lot of factors that could impact the Risers installation, but my experience on installing the NMN 4" Risers on my SE5 was nearly 100% negative - I cannot think of one good thing to say about that experience. The results, however, were very positive and despite everything, I would do them again.

Your wife and you may want a different seat, lots of options out there - depends on your butts and the style of riding you do. Lots of opinions on the forum about seats and what works - but, do the Risers first, then find a seat that works for you if you need one. If you are using accessory rebates, the BRP Comfort Seat looks like it should do the trick.

The backrest and sport rack are a matter of need and taste. I don't need one and don't like the looks of the BRP option. From what I have read, the sport rack will cause some complications for things like changing brake lights, some luggage installation, and rear lighting upgrades.

The one BRP accessory I would get would be the Billet Shock Adjusters - the stock ones are prone to breaking. You probably won't use them a lot, but breaking one ( and people do this a lot ) is a real pain and will keep you off the road until you get it replaced - with another "fragile" stock one. These are just for the front shocks - the rear has no equivalent upgrade yet.

As mentioned above, lots of the add-ons are available online and there are even some of them listed for sale on this and other forums. Lots of good deals floating around. I got a great deal on the Trunk Liner, would have never bought one, but I appreciate it now.

As for your service question and concerns. First, warranty fixes will cost you nothing. The #1 "accessory" I recommend you get is the Extended Warranty.
    As far as doing service yourself, yeah, can be done and a lot cheaper. Pick up one of the Maintenance Manuals On CD and you will quickly see what you can and cannot do.
    But, find a good Service Department near you - there are a few great ones out there and you should be fine - some sound even better than my BMW Service Department. Of course, some of them are not good, but post and ask for opinions on where to go on the forum. I know you have many more options that I do (one within 300 miles).

Like others have posted - 2008 SE5, over 5K in 6 months, no problems. Love it - and it continues to earn my love.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    We've owned a Spyder for a couple of seasons now, and have been very satisfied. So satisfied I just signed the papers for a second (Spyder RT-S). I don't think you will regret it. I don't find the maintenance charges any more excessive than for my BMW. Both companies are kind of obsessive about maintenance needs. A couple of hours labor should do it for the 600 mile service. The 6K (12K intervals) where they are supposed to check the valves will add several labor hours, though. All-in-all, it is very worth much worth it. You can do oil changes and simple service yourself, but some things do require the dealer and his BUDS system.

Consider the comfort seat as one of your accessories.
    Scotty on your new purchase. You must have more money than Carters got liver pills (showing my age with that line, eh). All joking aside, when you take delivery on that bad boy let me know, I would like to come over and take a look. One question, is the RT for you or Nancy?
    Here's To A Great Riding Season, Snowmobile That Is

"​Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
    Give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish"

Spyder Garage

I've heard, and wonder if it's true... that adding a 3" riser can be done with the existing wiring, but go to 4" and the wiring is not long enough and will need extending... at greater cost and trouble.
    If true, that's something to consider.

Also, the B.E.S.T extended warranty does just that - extends the warrany period an extra 3 years. the warranty does not cover scheduled maintenance.

B.E.S.T. PLUS actually covers some of the scheduled maintenance... may be worth the money. What's covered at what cost would be some good questions to ask if you're thinking of spending the money on warranty.
    Karen

Spyder Garage

Default Oh . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by mxz600 View Post
    Scotty on your new purchase. You must have more money than Carters got liver pills (showing my age with that line, eh).
    . . . . make that HAD.

But, that is what it is for.

Tom

Spyder Garage

Default No . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by MizMuffet View Post
    I've heard, and wonder if it's true... that adding a 3" riser can be done with the existing wiring, but go to 4" and the wiring is not long enough and will need extending... at greater cost and trouble.
    If true, that's something to consider.
    . . . . the wiring is (was on mine) long enough for the 4" Risers. Just. It would have taken a lot more work if the Risers would have been 4 and 1/8th inches. I gather few have had the issues I experienced.

Tom

Spyder Garage

Well I don't think it's a good idea to make the wiring that taut? It needs a little play for a reason.
    Karen

Spyder Garage

Default Yes, but . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by MizMuffet View Post
    Well I don't think it's a good idea to make the wiring that taut? It needs a little play for a reason.
    . . . . none of the cables are taut. A couple of them just do not have any EXTRA slack. Mine has all the play needed to completely perform correctly and safely.

Tom

Spyder Garage

Great choices for mods. Just remember that the risers/windshield decisions should be compatible. I would ride it stock for a while until you figure out the right combination.

welcome

3WD
    Today is a good day to ride!
    owner!

[x]- Gun rack
    [x]- Helmet-mounted fire extingusher and DPS deactivation hammer
    [x]- Large print (senior version) safety card

Spyder Garage

welcome
    David
    McKinney, TX

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mxz600 View Post
    Scotty on your new purchase. You must have more money than Carters got liver pills (showing my age with that line, eh). All joking aside, when you take delivery on that bad boy let me know, I would like to come over and take a look. One question, is the RT for you or Nancy?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom in NM View Post
    . . . . make that HAD.

But, that is what it is for.

Tom
    The RT is all mine! Nancy has her toy...er, toys. No problem paying for it, even on a retiree's fixed income...just have a wife who still works.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I agree.. ride it for awhile to decide what you want/need. EG i ride my bike to work daily and while my wife also rides with me on weekends getting her a backrest is lower on the pole than getting the hadlebars pulled back for me. If, of course, we ere planning a long trip that would change around some. Windshield needs seemed to usually be addressed first for anyone wanting to ride their spyder for any real distance (of course there are expceptions). As we approiach winter your immediate needs may be different too if you plan to ride in the cold. I LOVE the spyder, it is a great ride. I do find it expensive to maintain as compared to the harleys I owned. It IS a very "electrically complicated" machine but most newer bikes these days are getting that way.
    Welcome and dont read too much into the posts about problems. I have posts about em too but thats what we talk about. I mean I am not gonna post everyday that "I rode my bike to work today with NO probelms it was great"... maybe I should more
    2009 phantom 424 of 500! Another Happy Spyder owner

Spyder Garage

Default Scotty . . . . . .

The RT is all mine! Nancy has her toy...er, toys. No problem paying for it, even on a retiree's fixed income...just have a wife who still works.
    . . . . . The man who has everything and knows everything.
    Sounds like you qualify for being Mister Universe!

So, how did you work the "One In, One Goes Out" Rule?
    Not-so-interesting-minds want to know.

Tom

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in NM View Post
    . . . . . The man who has everything and knows everything.
    Sounds like you qualify for being Mister Universe!

So, how did you work the "One In, One Goes Out" Rule?
    Not-so-interesting-minds want to know.

Tom
    Not sure, this is as much of a surprise to me. Guess she fell for the RT as hard as I did...maybe harder. In reality, I think she just saw how much I liked it. True love knows no bounds! Is it any wonder I've kept her these 35 years?
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

You came here to get talked out of buying a Spyder?

I've got 14K on mine and it's never been to the shop for maintenance.

Dealer's feel they need to charge a ton of money for maintenance.

And I feel that I don't want to spend a ton of money on maintenance.

Plus, doing your own maintenance helps you to learn and undersand your ride better. Most owners will do a better job of maintenance than the dealer will. It's just a matter of pride in ownership.

I'm not bashing those the have the dealer do everything. Just making a case for doing your own work when you can.

Buy it, ride it, enjoy it. IF you have a problem just deal with it when it comes. Chances are, you won't.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default and you have all the luck too . . . .

Not sure, this is as much of a surprise to me. Guess she fell for the RT as hard as I did...maybe harder. In reality, I think she just saw how much I liked it. True love knows no bounds! Is it any wonder I've kept her these 35 years?
    . . . . . but I thought she was keeping you.

You both got the best of everything.

Tom