Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Share your mouse repellent ideas

I saw a mouse on my back deck eating bird seed. Set two traps in the garage and killed two mice in a few hours. So, to protect my spyder, I put a wall of baby powder around the Spyder to look for tracks and sprinkled crushed peppermint altoids around. Mice hate peppermint. I am interested to hear other ideas.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

We use bounce sheets in the camper/ toy haulers and in and on the sleds. Never had a problem

Never heard of the baby powder for tracking but that’s a good idea. Peppermint I have heard of.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    We use bounce sheets in the camper/ toy haulers and in and on the sleds. Never had a problem

Never heard of the baby powder for tracking but that’s a good idea. Peppermint I have heard of.
    Agree with the Bounce dryer sheet method. It's worked well for us over the years. The orange box variety seems to work best.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Unheated garage worked great for thirty years, but now since we moved and the garage is warm I will be paying close attention to this conversation
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    I saw a mouse on my back deck eating bird seed. Set two traps in the garage and killed two mice in a few hours. So, to protect mt spyder, I put a wall of baby powder around the Spyder to look for tracks and sprinkled crushed peppermint altoids around. Mice hate peppermint. I am interested to hear other ideas.
    I had a big problem with squirrels chew on the wire harness of my jeep. Had to replace it three time. Finally a gal told me to put a strobe light under my hood. That did the trick. They do not like the pulsing light. Might want to give it a try. n Good luck.
    2021 900 Ace , Black & Gold

Spyder Garage

dryer sheets are supposed to be another good repellent for mice?
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Spyder lives in my heated garage with our two daily drivers. I have four barn cats that come and go from the garage through a pet door. Haven't seen a live mouse for years, but I know the cats are working because I will occasionally have a dead mouse present at the garage door to the house.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arion View Post
    Agree with the Bounce dryer sheet method. It's worked well for us over the years. The orange box variety seems to work best.
    So how often do you change the Bounce sheets?

I have a garage full of motorcycles that I use traps in. I also keep the seats off of all the bikes.That keeps the little buggers at bay, but the Spyder F3 would probably benefit from also adding Bounce sheets, if not ridden for more than a few days.

Spyder daily driver - 2015 F3S magnesium - grocery getter
    BajaRon swaybar, Shad sidecases and Givi top case with Admore kits, adjustable brake rod, LaMonster LED headlights, Stebel Nautilus, Zumo 396, FOBO TPMS, F4 Customs windscreen and bump skid
    Front Tires - 175/55R-15 Yokohama AVID S34FA SL
    Rear - General Altima RT45

Spyder touring buddy (White-Whale) - 2018 RTL pearlescent white - set up for touring and local dates with SWMBO.
    LaMonster LED headlights, Stebel Nautilus, Zumo 396, Spyder cuff, FOBO TPMS, driver adjustable backrest, rear view mirror LED turn signals, and Eastern Beaver PC-8R fuse box. Baja Ron Ultra Sway Bar on the way.

Front Tires - Stock Kendas
    Rear - General Altima RT45

Other motorcycle transport - 2010 Honda NT700VA Deauville and assorted vintage Japanese bikes

Spyder Garage

I used to have problems with mice nesting in my lawn mower engine during the winter. I started using moth balls and my problem went away. If you research it you will see that people say it does not work but for me it did. This year I am adding a little Irish Spring soap scattered around also.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mikthebik View Post
    So how often do you change the Bounce sheets?

I have a garage full of motorcycles that I use traps in. I also keep the seats off of all the bikes.That keeps the little buggers at bay, but the Spyder F3 would probably benefit from also adding Bounce sheets, if not ridden for more than a few days.

Camper and toyhauler I put them in November and pull out in May. I put one sheet on each spoke of the rims, at the corner of each slide out, one under the sink in both bathroom and kitchen and one on each bed. So about 10 total. For the sleds I put one in each panel side, One in the front on exhaust and one laying I the track. I put them in late April and add new ones in first week of august. The sun and heat in the garage dries them out so I swap after July heat. The SXS and wheelers get used year around so I don’t mess with them. Spyder is in toy hauler over the winter for space so I don’t put any in her. If I did I would put one in the A-Arm section in the middle, One draped over each rim and one under seat. I’d only do it once a winter season. They don’t dry out in the winter as much as in the summer

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

I put a plastic bait box with a small poison block in it in my GL1800 trunk over a decade ago. It is in the Spyder trunk now. No rodent problems since, but the bikes are parked in out heated basement with other (sticky traps, D-con wedges, Black Cat blocks, snap traps) around under things. Ground Squirrels (chipmonks) are invited to swim in a 1/2 filed 5 gallon bucket with sunflower seeds floated on top.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would stop leaving bird seed in the yard or any food..

Spyder Garage

The year I stored my Slingshot, covered, under a shed, I used both Irish Spring and Moth Balls. I also made up a spray of peppermint from the oil found at Walmart and sprayed the floorboards and backside which was all black plastic. No mice bothered anything but can't say which worked best, or perhaps it was a combo?
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Mouse poison block by every wheel, and use peppermint spray around vehicles and on tires. No guarantees on peppermint spray, but since I used it after mice got at wiring harness on ATV I have not had a problem!

Spyder Garage

Bounce dryer sheet's YA RIGHT!! I used a whole box of then inside my 1990 Corvette one Winter'
    in the Spring I dug a mouse nest from under the drivers seat, one from in the dash behind the glove box and one from near the radio.
    rented an ozone machine and ran it inside for 2 days, on hot days 10 years later you could still get a hint of dead mouse smell.

T.P.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dryer sheets, have no idea. Moth balls have worked for us for many years. Friends did Irish Spring with no luck. Have heard good things about the peppermint oil on sawdust. Claims the wood holds the scent longer.

Spyder Garage

Non lethal-no stench or flies; Dryer sheets(used or new), used tea bags , pungent soap chips, paper towel saturated with vinegar (twist tight supposedly won’t evaporate quite as fast ) avoid wax or potpourri. Good luck

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Cats vs Mice

The wife Cats have been the trick for us.
    Know mice for me.
    They cat love the little creatures.
    Good Luck on Your Mission. ......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    I saw a mouse on my back deck eating bird seed. Set two traps in the garage and killed two mice in a few hours. So, to protect my spyder, I put a wall of baby powder around the Spyder to look for tracks and sprinkled crushed peppermint altoids around. Mice hate peppermint. I am interested to hear other ideas.
    I have used Irish Spring soap for many years. I simply cover my spider with two sheets and put a bar of Irish Spring underneath the trike on top of the box it came in. Never had a problem.

Spyder Garage

Youtube can be your friend, look up Mousetrap Monday (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qk8W5uf-Dw). He has tested out hundreds of mousetrap and is fun to watch. Until several years ago I had a cat that was excellent at catching any varmints that lurked around (but not for long!), but I have heard, but never needed to try, that mice don't like the smell of cat and it was suggested that borrowing someone kitty for a little bit of time to let them roam your garage just to leave their scent there. So far in the new house no problems here.

Spyder Garage

For years I have used moth balls. Never had a mouse problem. Surrounded the bike, or bikes with them. And the dryer sheet trick also works. Do both. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

I use Tomcat bait stations outside in the yard. Big ones like the exterminators use around commercial buildings. Tractor supply sells them and bait in pails, cheaper to buy bulk bait. I get those varmints before they get the urge to get inside shed or the house and bait stations are safer with pets.
    John
    "some suffer from insanity, I choose to enjoy it"
    '15 F3S SE6
    '01 FLHR
    Ski Doo 1200's
    Boats
    2015 F3S SE6 , Magnesium