Spyder Garage

Default Has parking brake issue been resolved?

I was watching a ride video on YT where a group of people were out on a ride. Two were riding Rykers, one was on an RT and the other on an F-3. Both the RT and F-3 riders had issues where their parking brakes locked up on the same ride. Hasn't happened to me yet, (of course my RT is still in the shop), but I was wondering if BRP has come up with a resolution to this problem. Does anyone know if there have been any recalls or service bulletins issued by Can Am?

I've watched a few videos on the "fix" for the problem but band-aid might be a better choice of word.

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when this problem rears it's ugly head. Any make, model or year, is it only a matter of time?
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

There's a fair bit of discussion on the various Park Brake issues Spyders/Rykers are & have been experiencing - which particular issue applies at a given moment & so which thread to look at can often be a bit of a guess. But judging by the results in the link, it's a fairly random occurrence across the range of Spyder/Ryker years/models; there's a variety of different causes; and a few 'old reliable' fixes.... not too many of which come from BRP, possibly because it's such a randomly occurring thing with a range of potential causes.

If the link doesn't work, I just put 'Park Brake' in the Search box up the top right of the page, ticked the 'Search Titles Only' box, & hit Submit to get the linked results - those Thread Titles where the OP has briefly stated their question in the Title should help you choose the threads you want to look into.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...archid=2666111

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-01-2021 at 05:16 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    There's a fair bit of discussion on the various Park Brake issues Spyders/Rykers are & have been experiencing - which particular issue applies at a given moment & so which thread to look at can often be a bit of a guess. But judging by the results in the link, it's a fairly random occurrence across the range of Spyder/Ryker years/models; there's a variety of different causes; and a few 'old reliable' fixes.... not too many of which come from BRP, possibly because it's such a randomly occurring thing with a range of potential causes.

If the link doesn't work, I just put 'Park Brake' in the Search box up the top right of the page, ticked the 'Search Titles Only' box, & hit Submit to get the linked results - those Thread Titles where the OP has briefly stated their question in the Title should help you choose the threads you want to look into.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...archid=2666111

Enjoy!
    Thanks, there now investigating.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    Thanks, there now investigating.
    I've had this happen twice now with my 2018 RT Limited. The first time it happened I was able to release the parking brake by starting and stopping the engine and repeatedly trying to engage and release the parking brake. Finally something I did worked and the parking brake released and returned to normal operation. That was over a year ago.

A couple days ago the same thing happened again, and by following the same procedure as when it happened the first time I was able to get the parking brake to release and work properly.

I'm reporting this now to let others know about an observation. In both cases where my parking brake locked up it happened after I had manually rolled the Spyder forward and backward without the engine running. I have done this a number of times because in my garage I have to move the Spyder a couple feet forward in order to get my lawn tractor out to mow the lawn. So what I have done is turn the Spyder's ignition key to "On" but not started the engine, release the parking brake, and manually roll the Spyder forward. Then when I have finished mowing the lawn and returned the lawn tractor to its place behind the Spyder, I have followed the same procedure to manually roll the Spyder back to its original position

I have no idea if the manual moving of the Spyder without the engine running is the cause of my brake lockup situations, but I wanted to let others know that these are the only times my 2018 RT Limited has experienced this problem. Could my manual moving of the Spyder have "confused" the computer and gotten things out of sync enough to produce this situation?

Most of the time when I have done this there has been no parking brake problem. But the only two times my RT's parking brake has locked up and not released normally is after I have manually moved the Spyder without the engine running.

I'm curious to know if others may have experienced this parking brake lockup problem after manually moving their Spyders with the engine turned off.

2018 RT Ltd.
    2018 RT Ltd , Oxford Blue/Chrome