Spyder Garage

Default Pairing motorcycle headset to bluetooth-enabled car radio

Hi everybody,
    Does anyone know if it's possible to pair a motorcycle bluetooth headset to a bluetooth-enabled car radio? I need to be able to talk to the driver of our chase vehicle via my helmet-mounted headset. The driver will have a matching headset (that is already mounted in another helmet) but won't be able to wear it while driving. The chase vehicle has a bluetooth radio for hands-free cell phone use and am hoping to establish a two-way audio link with it. Any info would be appreciated.
    2010 Full Moon Silver RS SE5

Spyder Garage

I have the Cardo Packtalk and am able to plug in a wired earphone so my lovely wife could hear. Since I have the Packtalk boom mic system, I removed it from her helmet and she was able to talk by just holding the mic.

This is what Cardo sell for $129 2021-11-01 cardo headset non-motorcycle.jpg. I did the same thing without the cost and the headset. Picture a wired earplug rather than the headset.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-01-2021 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Cardo ;-)

Spyder Garage

That's a good idea. I'll see if my cheapo ebay-special bluetooth headset can do that.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Great question!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Web Runner View Post
    Hi everybody,
    Does anyone know if it's possible to pair a motorcycle bluetooth headset to a bluetooth-enabled car radio? I need to be able to talk to the driver of our chase vehicle via my helmet-mounted headset. The driver will have a matching headset (that is already mounted in another helmet) but won't be able to wear it while driving. The chase vehicle has a bluetooth radio for hands-free cell phone use and am hoping to establish a two-way audio link with it. Any info would be appreciated.
    Which brand / model of helmet communicator do you have? Does it have hands-free phone capability?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Most systems are proprietary. Meaning they can only connect with like units. The car stereo may be different.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    Most systems are proprietary. Meaning they can only connect with like units. The car stereo may be different.
    Yeah, they are getting less proprietary these days, Dave, (my Uclear talks to my Sena), but that incompatibility is a real issue for earlier and/or cheaper models.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Yeah, they are getting less proprietary these days, Dave, (my Uclear talks to my Sena), but that incompatibility is a real issue for earlier and/or cheaper models.

Pete
    You are exactly right sir. I suppose I was thinking back to older devices and some of the current cheaper Chinese stuff out there.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Which brand / model of helmet communicator do you have? Does it have hands-free phone capability?
    I have the BT-S2 headset. I've never tried pairing it to a phone, but I believe it does have the hands-free capability.
    Here's an amazon link that shows the BT-S2.

https://www.amazon.com/Helmet-Blueto.../dp/B085RPKJFH

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    You are exactly right sir. I suppose I was thinking back to older devices and some of the current cheaper Chinese stuff out there.
    That's what I have, some cheap, unbranded headset. It does work pretty well as a bike-to-bike intercom, though...

Spyder Garage

I think the suggestion to connect an external pair of speakers to the second unit in the helmet is your only option. That is how I would do this with my Sena 50S and my old Cardo unit because they both have plugs for external ear buds. I would also add that you will probably want the unit she uses at head level to get a good signal with you given all the metal interference in a car. You are not going to get the same signal strength as you would if it was someone on another motorcycle.
    2021 Spyder RT-L Deep Marsalsa Metalic

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for the ideas and suggestions. When I tried to pair to the chase vehicle, it can see the headset and a message displays that the pairing was successful, however, it does not show up on the list of paired devices. Upon further research, I discovered that the type of profile the vehicle supports, HFP which is hands-free profile, is not the same as the headset's profile which is HSP, headset profile. Different communication protocols won't talk to each other.
    My cheapo headsets don't have plugs for external ear buds, so I may try to splice in another type of headset with speaker and microphone. Thanks again!