Spyder Garage

Default F3L Seats - Stock vs. Cannonball vs. Ultimate vs. ???

I do a lot of riding/touring and haven’t found the stock seat very comfortable for lengthy rides.

I purchased the Cannonball, which I currently have installed, and although its comfortable, it pushes me forward, which I don’t like.

I’m 5’3”, so not looking for a seat that pushes me back and further than stock (ie: Ultimate Tallboy) as I already have the long reach handlebars and risers to ensure I’m not leaning over the tank to steer and tour comfortably.

I know seats can be very subjective, but…. Any suggestions out there from the community and if so, why?

Thanks for your input!!

2021 F3L Black/Chrome
    LAMonster:
    Ultimate Backrest, Bottle Holder, Baja Ron Sway bar, Cat Delete Pipe, Freedom Windshield, Highway brackets/Black Demond pegs, Upgraded Tension Roller, FOBO Tire Pressure Monitor
    TricLED:
    Sequential LED Spyder Fender Lights, Run/Brake/Turn Strobe Light Kit, Brake flasher
    SlingMods:
    Chrome Luggage Rack
    Pedal Commander
    Spyder Accessories.com:
    Tank Pad
    Amazon:
    Ciro phone holder/mount, Stebel Nautilus Air Horn/Wiring Kit, Short Reach Handlebar

Spyder Garage

Seth Laam...

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Another vote for Seth Laam seats. I have one on my F3 Limited and really like it. They build their seats to your weight plus other factors.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

2katz, Seth Laam has been mentioned above, and there is also Russell Daylong. Both take a photo or two of you on the Spyder, ask what you expect from your seat, and modify your seat to provide all day comfort. Ultimate, Corbin, Mustang etc are a one size fits all, which effectively means that they are only comfortable for “some”. Yes, custom seats are expensive, but they are the only way to ensure day long comfort.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I own a 2019 F3L. Within 500 miles, I changed out the OEM seat for the Cannonball. Like you, some improvement. Not quite as mushy, and can do a hundred miles at a time without going to the Doctor. I have no problem with being pushed forward. I am of short stature.

I bought the Cannonball, because I did not want to go much over $500 for a new seat. There are better ones out there, but you have to decide if it is worth it or not.

Linda has a 2020 F3L and does NOT want to change out the seat. She is good with it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Ceap

I had the same problem and found the alternatives quite expensive. A fellow Can Am driver pointed me to a a very reasonable option of 35USD.
    Ordered it from the internet(ali) and it works like a charm
    Easily could do over 500 miles a day.
    It even comes with a pump.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2020 F3S , Matte black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have an ultimate seat and love it.

Spyder Garage

just got the Ultimate tall boy for my 2019 F3 Ltd and love it, Great quality and great
    ride , LOVE IT!!! .also super customer service.

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Ultimate seat revived my ability to ride without back pain. Added my own backrest to it. Details at link in my signature.

seat1.jpg
    rest-seat.jpg
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

I had comfort problems on long rides with the original seat. I took it to a custom auto upholstery shop and they put a layer of memory foam in it. It’s great now. Just for me. Bridge

Spyder Garage

have ultimate seat too . Best up grade i did
    2015 f3s

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My Corbin just arrived this week, I decided to go with Corbin because ultimate did not have any seats with their customizations available plus the width of the passenger seat on the ultimate was 15 inches compared to 17 inches on the Corbin.

I will update on the comfort for me and my passenger once it is warm enough to go for a ride and there is no salt on the road.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post
    My Corbin just arrived this week, I decided to go with Corbin because ultimate did not have any seats with their customizations available plus the width of the passenger seat on the ultimate was 15 inches compared to 17 inches on the Corbin.

I will update on the comfort for me and my passenger once it is warm enough to go for a ride and there is no salt on the road.
    And ... Not sure if you've ever had a Corbin seat before, but you have to give it some time to conform to your butt

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

I am a Corbin Virgin but I understand that they feel a bit hard at first then break in.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    2katz, Seth Laam has been mentioned above, and there is also Russell Daylong. Both take a photo or two of you on the Spyder, ask what you expect from your seat, and modify your seat to provide all day comfort. Ultimate, Corbin, Mustang etc are a one size fits all, which effectively means that they are only comfortable for “some”. Yes, custom seats are expensive, but they are the only way to ensure day long comfort.

Pete
    A little late to the party with this. Corbin can actually make custom changes to their seats. Within limits, they can be built taller/lower height and closer/further back. I have had (4) prior Corbin seats, with my last (2) built to my specs. Plus, a multitude of cover/stitching options. I am actually contemplating getting a Corbin for my F3S later this spring. Just some future FYI...

** Hey Clover .. How long did it take to get your seat? **
    Last edited by troop; 01-29-2022 at 12:54 PM.

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Ordered on Jan. 4 using the design it tool. Website stated it would be 4-6 weeks for Delivery. It arrived on my door step on Jan 24.

Still need to install it along with the passenger floorboards for my wife once it warms up enough.

seat.jpg
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 01-31-2022 at 11:29 PM.

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    A little late to the party with this. Corbin can actually make custom changes to their seats. Within limits, they can be built taller/lower height and closer/further back. I have had (4) prior Corbin seats, with my last (2) built to my specs. Plus, a multitude of cover/stitching options. I am actually contemplating getting a Corbin for my F3S later this spring. Just some future FYI...

** Hey Clover .. How long did it take to get your seat? **
    Yes, it’s the “within limits” that has always stopped me, troop. You have to be a bit lucky to correctly guess what you need, whereas Laam and Daylong work off measurements and photos that you provide to get the correct width, height, angle and firmness. Even so, I may have tried a Corbin on my ‘21RT, but they are not making them due to the hinged 2 piece seat.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Yes, it’s the “within limits” that has always stopped me, troop. You have to be a bit lucky to correctly guess what you need, whereas Laam and Daylong work off measurements and photos that you provide to get the correct width, height, angle and firmness. Even so, I may have tried a Corbin on my ‘21RT, but they are not making them due to the hinged 2 piece seat.

Pete
    I currently have a Seth Laam seat. I do like it, but I don't love it. I had him adjust it so I'd be approx. 1" from my standard position. The main issue with the F3 seat is its limitation with the one piece driver pan. So much more flexibility with a one piece seat. The stock Corbin is slightly larger in seating area than my Laam. I'm likely going to have a Corbin made that puts me back approx. 1" . Although not as tall/long as you, I do have a 36" inseam. We shall see...
    Last edited by troop; 02-01-2022 at 04:34 PM.

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    I currently have a Seth Laam seat. I do like it, but I don't love it. I had him adjust it so I'd be approx. 1" from my standard position. The main issue with the F3 seat is its limitation with the one piece driver pan. So much more flexibility with a one piece seat. The stock Corbin is slightly larger in seating area than my Laam. I'm likely going to have a Corbin made that puts me back approx. 1" . Although not as tall/long as you, I do have a 36" inseam. We shall see...
    Yeah, 36” is a long leg alright, troop. Good luck��. My problem is not only long legs, but a big butt, so the 20” width that Daylong give me with their “wings” is the biggest comfort factor for me. It’s that support under the outer thighs that helps me. I let Daylong decide what I need, and they haven’t let me down yet with 4 seats……here’s hoping that the Daylong for the new RT (which they can’t move back because of the hinge), doesn’t spoil that record.����

Pete

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

I also have a note in to my old employer about the Mustang seat. Its seating surface is a touch bigger than the Corbin.
    https://www.mustangseats.com/product...one-piece-seat
    DRIVER SEAT LENGTH 16-1/2"
    DRIVER SEAT WIDTH 18"
    Last edited by troop; 02-02-2022 at 07:47 AM.

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Ordered on Jan. 4 using the design it tool. Website stated it would be 4-6 weeks for Delivery. It arrived on my door step on Jan 24.

Still need to install it along with the passenger floorboards for my wife once it warms up enough.

seat.jpg
    Hey Clover, At your convenience, can you measure the dimensions of your Corbin rider area to compare to my Seth Laam seating area? I attached pix of what I'd like. Thanks

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

I'll get some measurements in the morning, I went to Install the corbin tonight and they have you install a new bracket and move the latch to the new bracket and this isn't working out too well.

I had no issues with moving the bracket and latch but it looks like the post on the seat is in the wrong position. I'll need to contact Corbin in the morning. In order to get the post in the bracket it moves the seat too far off of the tank and sits too high

IMG_20220203_215711045.jpgIMG_20220203_221605153.jpgIMG_20220203_221636610.jpgIMG_20220203_221700291.jpgIMG_20220203_222831457.jpgpost1.jpg

Update: Just tried to email corbin tech support at the email address in their instructions and it was kicked back from google as a unknown user . Guess I am making a phone call.

Troop the length to rider backrest 14" width 16 3/4"

notfound.jpg
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 02-04-2022 at 08:43 AM.

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Got in touch with Corbin today and sent some pics , they confirmed correct installation of the bracket.

They are getting the paper work ready to send the seat back to them for corrections. I think the latch post may be incorrectly positioned on the seat.

When I place the seat in the front tongue grooves it looks great until you have to align the post into the latch. that's when things go all wonky.

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Got in touch with Corbin today and sent some pics , they confirmed correct installation of the bracket.

They are getting the paper work ready to send the seat back to them for corrections. I think the latch post may be incorrectly positioned on the seat.

When I place the seat in the front tongue grooves it looks great until you have to align the post into the latch. that's when things go all wonky.
    Sounds good. Hopefully the front nose gap gets tightened up a bit. I had some weird leather issues with the Corbin I had on my Yamaha FZ09. I sent them pix and they sent me a express shipping return label. I had new replacement from WI > CA > WI in less than ten days. Only issue I ever had with any of my Corbin's. Still leaning that way, as I want to sit in the seat more than I want to sit on it. Heck, it is a F3S after all
    Last edited by troop; 02-05-2022 at 04:03 PM.

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Looks like my choice of an aftermarket seat would be the Ultimate. That said, I'll try a couple things first:
    1.) My Laam seat is on the way back to Seth for an "adjustment". He said he never adjusted a completed F3 seat, but based on my height/weight, he's going to try a couple tweaks. Figure the $60 there/back shipping is worth the try.
    2.) BikerChris has an Ultimate tall boy on his F3L. He lives about 15 miles from me. Once my seat gets back from Seth Laam, I'll take it over to his place and do some A/B comparisons. This should give me a better idea.
    We shall see in a couple weeks...

2022 RT Sea To Sky