Spyder Garage

Default Anyone else experiencing this Sprocket Noise or problem?

I bought a new 2020 F3-T and it has a lot of noise at 45 MPH. I took the bike in for the 1000 mile inspection and told the service manager about the noise. Got a call from them today that the noise was caused by the sprocket that has been redesigned and BRP is aware of this problem but so far no cure for this has been made.
    Anyone else experiencing this noise or problem?
    I guess I will just have to live with the noise for now. After being a mechanic for 40 years in the oil field I thought it was from the drive belt harmonics.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2021 F3L and have the same thing. Mine is at 48 mph. Up to 48 is ok and once I hit 50 it goes away.

Spyder Garage

Not wanting to hassle with the dealer and BRP, I just bought the pulley from cheap cycle parts, got some moly assembly paste, and swapped the part. The sound is gone. You will be able to find in the forum posts that BRP has replaced some under warranty. Good luck.

Product Unit Price Qty Total
    Screw-Hex. Flange DIN.6921 S.Grip Item #250001017 $10.99 1 $10.99
    Sprocket 28 Teeth Item #705503239 $114.99 1 $114.99
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ButterSmooth View Post
    Not wanting to hassle with the dealer and BRP, I just bought the pulley from cheap cycle parts, got some moly assembly paste, and swapped the part. The sound is gone. You will be able to find in the forum posts that BRP has replaced some under warranty. Good luck.

Product Unit Price Qty Total
    Screw-Hex. Flange DIN.6921 S.Grip Item #250001017 $10.99 1 $10.99
    Sprocket 28 Teeth Item #705503239 $114.99 1 $114.99
    ++++++++++++

The folks that got the pulley replaced under warranty are fortunate, as I was told at my first service last month, that the pulley was an ‘upgrade’, and not a warranty issue.
    2019 F3 base
    Shad saddlebags with Admore led light kit
    BajaRon swaybar
    Hopnel mini bra
    BRP driver's backrest
    Madstad windshield
    Ultimate floorboards
    CanAm Spyder accessories rear shelf with LinQ adapter

Spyder Garage

I have a 2020 RT and the sprocket was replaced under warranty. The TSB states if customer complaines then they will warranty parts ans labor. They even replaced bolt also. But my noise is even worse than before. I looked it over and noticed a white pully and the belt is ridding on the oubd side. MM states in BOLD not to have belt ride edges and shows a picture of it in center of pulley. I will be taking it back to dealer with pics and copy of MM i belive pg 121.

Spyder Garage

Oct.23, 2021

I have the 2021 Spyder F3ltd and the same problem. Mine starts around 47 and goes through 50.. I will have the dealer check it again when I have my 3,000 mile service.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

20 F3 T with about 25,000 miles. Runs great and is in great condition - just one question....

Apparently has the original front sprocket. Gave it a good look over, Black in color and no sign of any red dust. Teeth look perfect as does the belt. Weather starting to warm up. Yesterday noticed for the first time, I begin to hear a whine from the left side in my ride keeping 65 to 75 MPH speed in the 5 or 6 mile climb from 4,000 ft elevation to about 8,000 ft. Whine was greatly reduced going down the other side. I figured it was just the whine that garnered a lot of complaints early on. That is what prompted the thorough inspection. Road about 200 miles yesterday.

The question is, should I leave well enough alone and is that something I should keep my eye on. Also is that a recall issue?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-30-2024 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Removed Post title after merge - they mess with Searching! ;-)
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Have your dealer check the VIN number. They should be able to tell you if your sprocket is on the recall list.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Whine is typical with the brp pulley's as long as the belt is aligned and not rubbing and not a recall pulley.

But I would check your belt tension and make sure it isn't too tight. Stock from factory it is usually around 230 ft/lbs and get a belt vibration around 55-60 mph.

People on here have adjusted their tension anywhere between 160 to the 230 mark. personally I run mine between 180-200 and that helps reduce the belt vibration without using a belt tensioner.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post
    20 F3 T with about 25,000 miles. Runs great and is in great condition - just one question....

Apparently has the original front sprocket. Gave it a good look over, Black in color and no sign of any red dust. Teeth look perfect as does the belt. Weather starting to warm up. Yesterday noticed for the first time, I begin to hear a whine from the left side in my ride keeping 65 to 75 MPH speed in the 5 or 6 mile climb from 4,000 ft elevation to about 8,000 ft. Whine was greatly reduced going down the other side. I figured it was just the whine that garnered a lot of complaints early on. That is what prompted the thorough inspection. Road about 200 miles yesterday.

The question is, should I leave well enough alone and is that something I should keep my eye on. Also is that a recall issue?

Thanks in advance.
    This one sounds like the 'wind noise/whine issue' that reared its head just before the 'failed front sprocket/shaft splines' problem arose, the latter eventually being resolved by a recall!!

The 'wind noise/whine' issue is exactly as you describe, right down to the speeds, altho a few found the noise became annoying at much slower speeds too. The resolution for this particular issue is the White Ceramic Coated front sprocket; but for many/most, this particular 'noise' concern was completely over-ridden by the rapidly increasing 'failure' concerns, with those being resolved (apparently, or probably more likely - hopefully! ) with a new sprocket that is Silver, altho a few have reported that their previous whine, earlier resolved by installing the White Sprocket that was removed/replaced with the Silver Sprocket, came back after the Silver Sprocket went on!

AFAIK, the Whine resolution was NOT a recall, but rather a TSB that 'allowed' dealers to replace the sprocket as a warranty item for those who complained about it within a given time-frame, an offer that very likely had an end date on that particular program.... And some dealers insisted that the affected owners pay for it all anyway!

There's a LOT of discussion on all this here on the Forum, I think if you put 'sprocket' or even 'front sprocket' into the search field; tick the 'Search Titles Only' box; then submit the search, you'll probably need to go to at least page 4 of the listed results before the threads show any real link to discussion on THIS particular issue - but there IS a resolution; part numbers; job details; and more to be found here if you do that search and spend some time reading.

The upshot of all this oldtimer, is that you can either live with the noise (many do) or if that's not on, then you should go to your dealer & ask nicely what they can do for you. Maybe take along your Spyder's VIN plus all the details of the 'Whine issue', TSB's & Part #'s' etc in hand; you should be able to get them to check to see if your bike is subject to the sprocket failure recall, in which case you should get that sorted for free... But do make sure they follow the procedures AND the curing time outlined in the 'Red Dust of Death' recall thread, and this MIGHT resolve your whine noise too; or if your Spyder doesn't qualify for that recall, you might be able to make a case for your dealer to fix the whine using the White front sprocket with all the background & details from here; maybe even getting that done as a courtesy per the TSB for that??

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-30-2024 at 06:17 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Peter and Guys.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L