Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder/Cycle Questions

Hey Guys, my first post.

Well, I finally took the plunge and bought my first open air ride. I've never ridden a motorcycle on pavement, so this is the first actual open air riding I've ever done. I finally settled on price and chose a 2009 Red SM5 #0046 still in the crate. A week later I was able to pick her up. With 2.0 miles on the odometer, she's virgin . The dealer did notice some missing paint on one of the front wheel fenders, so a replacement is on the way.

I have to admit, being the first on road cycle I've driven, I didn't pay attention to how she's running. Now that I've put 150 miles on her I've notice a couple things.

First off, I have a bit of a greasy/oily substance on the rear wheel. A buddy of mine had the same thing happen on his Triumph Rocket III, and the dealer told him it is just a little wheel bearing grease as it breaks in. I'm going to take it in anyway to be sure.

Secondly, shes making a bit of a hum while moving. This doesn't change with RPM's or gears. I'm pretty sure its changing with the movement of the rear tire. I'm guessing belt alignment, but it looks pretty aligned to me, though it does seem a bit tight.

I hope the dealer I bought it from knows what they are doing. All they sell is BRP products. We had another dealer in town that carried Can-Am and quite a few other brands as well. The dealer I bought mine from has one Spyder in that needs to be fixed because the dealer going out of business screwed it up.

Anyway, so far so good. I've been so worried that I was going to end up regretting this whole open air riding thing, but its getting better and better with every mile. No buyers remorse so far, but I can see a few on this board that don't feel the same way...

Spyder Garage

Welcome aboard!

I bought my wife one in June & she loves it. We've been busy doing mods on it to get the ergonomics better suited to touring, drivers backrest (Utopia), Windshield (CHAD), etc. Have also added some lighting to make it more visible (NMN & GloRyders). Turns out I love it too & have ordered the RT-S Premiere Edition with trailer for me.

Haven't noticed the grease on the rear wheel & am not certain about the noise. I've ridden motorcycles for 20 years (all Goldwings) & know this Spyder makes different noises than what I normally hear on the Goldwing.

Hope this new experience for you turns into a good healthy passion for you.

Read all you can about motorcycle safety. Motorcycle Consumer News is a great magazine. They have monthly features like "Mental Motorcycling", "Medical Motorcycling" & such. They always have safety related columns.

God bless,
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

welcome It only gets better each time you ride.
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default growl

if the hum your describing sounds kinda like a howl then check your belt tension. My was defintely too high on delivery.
    2009 phantom 424 of 500! Another Happy Spyder owner

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

and welcome
    Happy Spyder Owner

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Yep, I guess howl would describe it a bit better.

Also, being new to motorcycling, I was wondering how to properly fill this thing. I seems that when you put the pump nozzle all the way into the tank, it shuts off pretty quick. Is this how you're supposed to fill it, or do you just have the nozzle in a couple inches while filling it up?

I also see a bit of a debate going on regarding octane. Lets make sure we know that 87 octane is the Minimum octane. I don't see any mention of recommended octane. As others have pointed out, 10.8:1 compression seems high enough for me to feel better about running premium.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Running regular octane is just fine on our spyders. As you mentioned there is a lot of debate about performance improvements, if any, of using premium fuel. I guess if the extra money per gallon does not bother you or if you sleep better at night when you use premium then please do so.

I tried both and did not notice much difference. (And I am not trying to start the debate over again!!!)

As for fueling, I usually put the nozzle right at the opening so that it does not shut off automatically. I will then slow down when I see gas reaching the top, let it come down a bit and top it off just a little more. (That allows me to get the little tiny bar on the gauge).
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Default and don't forget the girls either . . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by NFLEagles1 View Post
    Hey Guys, my first post. ( welcome! )

Well, I finally took the plunge and bought my first open air ride. I've never ridden a motorcycle on pavement, so this is the first actual open air riding I've ever done. I finally settled on price and chose a 2009 Red SM5 #0046 still in the crate. ( NICE choice! )

I have to admit, being the first on road cycle I've driven, I didn't pay attention to how she's running. ( As time goes on, you will be surprised at what you hear - from other vehicles! As long as I have ridden, I will still suddenly hear a strange sound - but it is coming from a nearby car or truck.)

First off, I have a bit of a greasy/oily substance on the rear wheel. A buddy of mine had the same thing happen on his Triumph Rocket III, and the dealer told him it is just a little wheel bearing grease as it breaks in. I'm going to take it in anyway to be sure. ( Checking it out is good. It could also be something you drove through or left over from assembly. Also check the caps for the fluid containers under the seat to make sure they are on tight. )

Secondly, shes making a bit of a hum while moving. This doesn't change with RPM's or gears. I'm pretty sure its changing with the movement of the rear tire. I'm guessing belt alignment, but it looks pretty aligned to me, though it does seem a bit tight. ( I would guess you are right - if it is not a new tire on a textured road surface or if nothing is rubbing the tire. )

I hope the dealer I bought it from knows what they are doing. ( While you should not need them, a good service department is THE best Spyder accessory you can have. Work with them, but keep your eyes open for other options. )

Anyway, so far so good. No buyers remorse so far, but I can see a few on this board that don't feel the same way... ( Life and riding are what you make of it. Squeeze as much fun and enjoyment out of it that you can. With the Spyder you can make fantastic memories that will last the rest of your life - it is up to you. We all come into this world crying - some seem to never get over it. )
    Also, being new to motorcycling, I was wondering how to properly fill this thing. ( I put in the nozzle about 1/2 inch, just so it hangs their and then set the auto-cutoff and let it fills until it clicks off. With the gas light on and two or one bars, that puts in around 4.5 gallons. )

I also see a bit of a debate going on regarding octane. Lets make sure we know that 87 octane is the Minimum octane. ( Here in New Mexico all of our gas has Ethanol in it & we only have 86, 88, and 92 octanes. I put in the 88 and it runs fine (5K altitude). My experience has not been good with the top grade, so I don't use it. )
    You don't say what part of Utah you are in, but I think Spyders are made for the Southwest and Four Corners area. You have some fantastic rides ahead of you and I hope to see you out there on one!

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bersquack View Post
    Running regular octane is just fine on our spyders. As you mentioned there is a lot of debate about performance improvements, if any, of using premium fuel. I guess if the extra money per gallon does not bother you or if you sleep better at night when you use premium then please do so.

I tried both and did not notice much difference. (And I am not trying to start the debate over again!!!)

As for fueling, I usually put the nozzle right at the opening so that it does not shut off automatically. I will then slow down when I see gas reaching the top, let it come down a bit and top it off just a little more. (That allows me to get the little tiny bar on the gauge).
    One important thing higher octane fuels give you is more detergents that defiantly help keep the injectors cleaner. Sorry to add to the fuel debate.

Spyder Garage

Fuel debate?

There's a fuel debate?

Where is my horse????

Oh, there he is, right there!

Last edited by BajaRon; 09-25-2009 at 07:07 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Man...

Spyders make noises. Call it gear shear or belt, you are always going to have a little something going on there. Worth getting checked out the next time you have it in though.

As for octane....I ran 93/92 octane all the way out from Charlotte to Gatlinburg and during the week. On the way back she had nothing but 87. Wasn't a scientific experiment, but I noticed no difference in performance and I don't think any for mileage. I do think the Spyder likes the cooler air though as I was getting the best mileage I've gotten so far all of this week, including the 200+ miles on 87 octane.

Welcome to the club!
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Default New Bike

The Spyder does sound different than other two wheel bikes, I think it is be cause of the plastic enclosures. I had the same fine deposit at first, but it stopped after about 500 miles. Probably was the belt wearing in. Noises come and go as things wear in, or sometimes, loosen up, that is why you need to keep your eye on all nuts and bolts, checking them frequently...my 2 cents!
    Pat
    Cal Sci XL Windscreen; Widow Highway Pegs; Mirror Extenders; 1" handlebar riser; Hindle exhaust; Corbin Seat, Givi top case, Street Magic HID headlights, 12v power thingy in trunk, NMN Triple Play, Tom Tom Rider 2 GPS, Corbin rear fender, so far
    and A Happy Spyder Owner

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I took it into the dealer yesterday. The mechanic confirmed that the greasy/oily stuff was just a little packing grease from the wheel bearings and said it should be fine.

Forgive my lack of tech speak, but he also checked the tension on the belt. He said BRP says 1600 at most, and mine was at 1980. They went ahead and adjusted it, but it still howls. He also pulled it over a bit so the belt is on the teeth of the rear sprocket and about 1/32" away from the solid sidewall beside the sprocket toward the center of the wheel.

Judging by BRP's admission of another software update to fix the running rough/surging issue, maybe I will step down to midgrade which is closer to the "minimum" octane. Still wish I could find a "recommended" octane.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I took it into the dealer yesterday. The mechanic confirmed that the greasy/oily stuff was just a little packing grease from the wheel bearings and said it should be fine.

Forgive my lack of tech speak, but he also checked the tension on the belt. He said BRP says 1600 at most, and mine was at 1980. They went ahead and adjusted it, but it still howls. He also pulled it over a bit so the belt is on the teeth of the rear sprocket and about 1/32" away from the solid sidewall beside the sprocket toward the center of the wheel.

Judging by BRP's admission of another software update to fix the running rough/surging issue, maybe I will step down to midgrade which is closer to the "minimum" octane. Still wish I could find a "recommended" octane.
    Look in your owner's manual for "recommended" octane - mine says 87. I have been running 87 octane (that contains 10% ethanol) for close to a year now and my Spyder seems to love it.
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Fuel debate?

There's a fuel debate?

Where is my horse????

Oh, there he is, right there!

I guess it's just that English is such a hard language to understand, especially when written. And owners' manuals? They are used to keep that little plastic envelope from crumpling up in the trunk, aren't they?
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Fuel Recommendation
    Use unleaded gasoline or oxygenated
    fuel containing no more than 10%
    ethanol ormethanol or both. The gasoline
    used must have the following minimum octane
    number:
    MINIMUM OCTANE NUMBER
    Inside North America 87 ((R+M)/2)
    Outside North America 92 RON
    NOTICE Other fuel can degrade
    vehicle performance and damage
    critical parts in the fuel system and
    engine.
    WARNING
    Do not carry gasoline containers
    in the front storage compartment
    or anywhere else on the vehicle.
    Gasoline may spill and ignite, particularly
    in a crash.

The bold print was copied from the online addition of the BRP CanAm Owner's Guide (emphasis my own).
    Last edited by Dudley; 09-26-2009 at 12:26 PM.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like you have nothing to worry about. I personally consider BRPs belt tension spec too high, and it can cause some noise. If you are dependent on the dealer for service, though, I would leave it where they put it. There is always some noise from a belt (or chain) drive. What you are hearing may be normal. I'm sure you'll get used to it. welcome Enjoy the Ryde!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

and welcome

Spyder Garage

maybe I will step down to midgrade which is closer to the "minimum" octane. Still wish I could find a "recommended" octane.
    I don't think you'll find a "Recommended Octane". The only information I've seen is MINIMUM Octane which is 87.

As you can see , my horse isn't feeling too good these days so I won't go too far into the Octane debate other than to say "Minimum" and "Optimum" are not necessarily the same thing.

To me this means the Anti-Knock (retarded ignition timing) probably can't deal with fuel having less than 87 octane. This may be part of the reason those that use regular fuel find their Spyder runs better in cooler weather.

Spyder Garage

welcome
    Northramp
    2009 RED SE5, Very Happy Owner (1-15-09)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

welcome If you have never ridden a bike you hear more than in a cage. This tends to alarm new riders but that is normal. If you put a big windshield on you will hear new noises that you could not hear before also. This is also normal. You do need to find the source of the noise to make sure what it is. Believe me though when you hear a noise that is NOT NORMAL you will know it. Just ride and enjoy all an all it sounds like BRP is good on warranty issues so you have two years to sort the noises out. Best thing is to find a experienced Spyder rider and let them check it out as far as noise goes. Me I am getting deaf as a post so they all sound good to me.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The noise just bugs me because I can assure all of you, that you'd hear it easily. Its not hard to hear at all. You can hear it as someone driving it pulls up next to you or drives by. If it was normal, everyone here would know exactly what I'm talking about. Again, I'll just keep driving it through break-in. As long as the dealer knows that it is continuing, then I know they can't blame me later on if it ends up hurting anything. I'll keep an eye on these forums to see if anyone else brings up the same thing and what fixed it.

Spyder Garage

Default Octane

Quote Originally Posted by Bersquack View Post

I won't run anything except 91 octane because it is obvious to me that my Spyder runs better. Others may have different results/opinions and that is OK since it would be a dull world if everyone thought alike. I am not starting a octane war--just expressing my opinion and results of my experience with the Spyder. Yes 10.8:1 compression would be considered high compression.IMHO

WE DON'T QUIT PLAYING BECAUSE WE GROW OLD; WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE QUIT PLAYING

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK WIDOW View Post
    I won't run anything except 91 octane because it is obvious to me that my Spyder runs better. Others may have different results/opinions and that is OK since it would be a dull world if everyone thought alike. I am not starting a octane war--just expressing my opinion and results of my experience with the Spyder. Yes 10.8:1 compression would be considered high compression.IMHO
    It is interesting that people have different experience with different octane in the same machine (mods aside).

I think part of it is seat of the pants perception (which has been proven suspect at best), riding style, fuel type available (ethonol - which degrades performance, as opposed to ethonol free), and possibly the subtile difference that is not immediatly evident as soon as you pump premium into your tank.

It's not like the instant, dramatic effect you get from installing the swaybar or other mods.

Hard, empirical data is all in favor of premium fuel in the Spyder but it doesn't seem to be as simple as that.

When I first got my Spyder I tried the different grades of fuel and did not see any real difference. But it wasn't a good test as I wasn't running any one grade (except regular) long enough or under the same circumstance to really know. Premium didn't jump up and kick me in the butt so I figured why waste the money?

It was my trip to CA and back. 5,500 miles of just running down the freeway at 70~85mph all day, every day that convinced me Premium was worth the extra money.

Spyder Garage

welcome