Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default How does the Hindle sound on an SE5?

I have the Hindle on my SM5, wife has the stock muffler on her SE5, but I am picking up a 3rd Spyder in the morning which is also an SE5 but has the stock muffler on it. Stock is too "girllish" for me, but I wonder how the Hindle sounds on it, or maybe I should go with something different?

I know with the automatic you don't get that distinct changing of the gear sound, but with the Hindle on, I would think you would hear some shifting...and does it still have the cool factor sound?

Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Girlish?
    Don't know just what that means. If you like loud - go with the Hindle. Like it mellow, stick with the stock muffler. I've noticed that my SE5 with stock muffler is now sounding more "mellow" if I may use that word. I had a Hindle on it for 3 miles --- it came off!!

Nice that there is a variety out there to choose from..........

3 Spyders............. neat.... his/hers/ and ??

Enjoy what ever you decide to do..........

don
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

The SE5 is semi-automatic, you do the shifting, you can still hear the gear changes.

3WD
    Today is a good day to ride!
    owner!

[x]- Gun rack
    [x]- Helmet-mounted fire extingusher and DPS deactivation hammer
    [x]- Large print (senior version) safety card

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blinc View Post
    I have the Hindle on my SM5, wife has the stock muffler on her SE5, but I am picking up a 3rd Spyder in the morning which is also an SE5 but has the stock muffler on it. Stock is too "girllish" for me, but I wonder how the Hindle sounds on it, or maybe I should go with something different?

I know with the automatic you don't get that distinct changing of the gear sound, but with the Hindle on, I would think you would hear some shifting...and does it still have the cool factor sound?
    I just put a Hindle on 4 days ago and the computor has just about re-adjusted for it . I have the SE5 and it sounds great with it, not too loud.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Don in E Texas View Post
    Girlish?
    Don't know just what that means. If you like loud - go with the Hindle. Like it mellow, stick with the stock muffler. I've noticed that my SE5 with stock muffler is now sounding more "mellow" if I may use that word. I had a Hindle on it for 3 miles --- it came off!!

Nice that there is a variety out there to choose from..........

3 Spyders............. neat.... his/hers/ and ??

Enjoy what ever you decide to do..........

don

Hey Don,
    I stated "girlish" just to see if I would get a rise from the awesome Spyder people here...all for fun

Thanks for the input, I'll try the Hindle out with it.

Spyder Garage

Default Hmmmmm . . . .

Stock is too "girllish" for me.
    I though you were going for Grill-ish as in BBQ. That didn't make a lot of sense to me unless you are cooking things on it - that Sizzling-Popping sound.

But if you were going for Girl-ish, you shouldn't worry. Ride whatever you want, without feeling any embarrassment and just ignore all heckling. I am sure your wife would straighten them out.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

The engines are the same--- so it will sound basically the same. The Hindle isn't 'loud' by any means. It's pretty tame compared to other options.

The stock pipe is horrible sounding, running and looking. Pitch it.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

BillGargan

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    The engines are the same--- so it will sound basically the same. The Hindle isn't 'loud' by any means. It's pretty tame compared to other options.

The stock pipe is horrible sounding, running and looking. Pitch it.
    Opinions are like lots of things -- including certain body parts -- everyone has one!

The imposition of loudness -- at least that which is beyond legal limits -- from any motorized device -- is like blowing smoke in someone's face. It is damnably rude!

If the Hindle fits the law then it is OK. But, it is beyond ridiculous to express to say that the stock pipe is "horrible sounding". Not all "bikers" want to impose their loud exhausts on the unwilling.

Spyder Garage

Sorry--- but the stock pipe is just too restrictive--- sounds just like my cub cadet zero turn mower.

Spyder Garage

Default Huh???????????

Sorry--- but the stock pipe is just too restrictive--- sounds just like my cub cadet zero turn mower.
    Are you saying that is a Bad thing?

Tom

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in NM View Post
    Are you saying that is a Bad thing?

Tom
    Yup.

Spyder Garage

Default Oh . . . . .

Yup.
    . . . . I thought they sounded hot!

And they are VERY yellow, too.

Maybe you got a bad one. Pitch it.

Tom

Spyder Garage

Default Hindle

The Hindle would sound good on any Spyder. The best way to put it, is the Hindle allows the Spyder to sound like it looks.

Michael

WE DON'T QUIT PLAYING BECAUSE WE GROW OLD; WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE QUIT PLAYING

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The Hindle sounds better on a red spyder!
    Happy Spyder Owner

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation

Mufflers, Hindle or otherwise, are a matter of choice.

HOWEVER! Be forewarned...the NHTSA has a preliminary proposed regulation, along with AMA assistance, that will put a decibel limit on ALL motorcycle mufflers. That limit is 92 decibels, as measured at a 45-degree angle, from a distance that I do not recall. Best start thinking about this...
    Happy SE5 Owner

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Could a dual Hindle set up (one on each side) be done? I like the dual side look and I like the stock look of the Hindle. I know this would be an expensive approach as the Hindles don't come cheap but I'm off kilter like that.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K.C. View Post
    Could a dual Hindle set up (one on each side) be done? I like the dual side look and I like the stock look of the Hindle. I know this would be an expensive approach as the Hindles don't come cheap but I'm off kilter like that.
    Well, now that you said money's no object , note the pic below and see:
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...&postcount=116
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

I have my Hindle on my red SE 5 since purchase. It sounds great..yes you can tell when u up shift and when you down shift just right you will get some backpressure and backfiring ...great
    They do sound louder after time and really sound louder on a red SE 5..
    Northramp
    2009 RED SE5, Very Happy Owner (1-15-09)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I find it odd that no one mentions the catalitic converter that is required by law which is built into the stock muffler.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RYDRS View Post
    I find it odd that no one mentions the catalitic converter that is required by law which is built into the stock muffler.
    I keep the stock can on for that reason...plus I like the quiet, although the Spyder is louder than my BMW.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Odd Yes, . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by RYDRS View Post
    . . . . . Strange, No. You will find you are in a vocal minority or a very silent majority - we really don't know.

It seems people who like loud (HEAR ME COMING AND GET OUT OF THE WAY!) mufflers, talk about them a lot. Over and Over. And loudly too. And then talk about them more.

Then, there are a few of us that write that the stock is fine - and legal too. Since this precipitates the loud tube crew to come out and repeat (loudly) the charms and advantages of loud mufflers, those of us who like quiet efficiency move on to other threads.

So, by bringing this up, you are in a vocal minority. But, probably the vast majority of Spyders run with stock mufflers but wisely never engage in muffler talk - so that is the Silent Majority.

The second you mentioned "catalytic converter" (with out "-ectomy" after it), you were branded as "one of the quiet troublemakers".

Don't worry, you are in good company. (except for me)

Tom

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in NM View Post
    . . . . . Strange, No. You will find you are in a vocal minority or a very silent majority - we really don't know.

It seems people who like loud (HEAR ME COMING AND GET OUT OF THE WAY!) mufflers, talk about them a lot. Over and Over. And loudly too. And then talk about them more.

Then, there are a few of us that write that the stock is fine - and legal too. Since this precipitates the loud tube crew to come out and repeat (loudly) the charms and advantages of loud mufflers, those of us who like quiet efficiency move on to other threads.

So, by bringing this up, you are in a vocal minority. But, probably the vast majority of Spyders run with stock mufflers but wisely never engage in muffler talk - so that is the Silent Majority.

The second you mentioned "catalytic converter" (with out "-ectomy" after it), you were branded as "one of the quiet troublemakers".

Don't worry, you are in good company. (except for me)

Tom
    Guess I'm one of the "Silent Ones".

Until I retired last year I was a Home Theater designer and tech. My primary job for the last 20 years involved designing and testing custom speakers, writing audio reviews and performing final audio and video calibrations on completed home theaters. I counted on my hearing every day to make a living.

On all my street bikes I actually tried to find the quietest pipe that still performed. Heck I still put on ear protection to run my shop vac in the garage or use the leaf blower. At the same time I always added the highest performance (loudest) pipe to my dirt bikes when I raced. Guess I wanted to win enough to sacrifice my hearing. Go figure.

I actually agree that having the sound announce my presence when riding is a valid safety factor (just like bright color and good lighting). I just can't abide the ear fatigue of a loud pipe without feeling that it's gonna do some damage. I tried a Hindle because it didn't seem that loud on my initial test ride. But when I got it on my spyder it didn't take long to get annoyed.

So I guess that puts me on the quiet side of the fence.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by northramp View Post
    I have my Hindle on my red SE 5 since purchase. It sounds great..yes you can tell when u up shift and when you down shift just right you will get some backpressure and backfiring ...great
    They do sound louder after time and really sound louder on a red SE 5..

That's the info I needed, thanks!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Mountain View Post
    I actually agree that having the sound announce my presence when riding is a valid safety factor (just like bright color and good lighting).
    Actually, studies have shown that loud pipes have no measurable safety effect. Bright, visible colors are the only thing shown to have a real effect on safety, other than good lighting. In fact the effect of daytime lighting has been diminished since it has become required and commonplace. I'm sure mentioning this will open a huge can of worms again, but we folks in the "silent majority" can take the flak. Let's see, where's that dead horse smiley?
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

There are three sides of an arguement -- your side, my side and the right side.

I got the SE5 last night and she runs great, BUT, I will for sure be putting a manly-man exhaust on it

So, if anyone has a Hindle/Two brother type exhaust for sale, I'm a lookin!