Spyder Garage

Default Air Ride issue on 2014 RT-S - can I disconnect the compressor without limp mode??

Technical question, if I have a leak in my air ride can the relay/fuse for the compressor be pulled without putting the bike in limp mode while waiting for the new parts to arrive. With two people on the bike the compressor is constantly cutting in and I don't want to burn it up before the new air reservoir arrives.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-20-2021 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Removed Prefix - This is a 'How do I?' not a 'How to:' DIY explanation....

Spyder Garage

I think I tried that on my 2011 and the compressor will not work but the pressure release valve I believe is still active. If your's is then unplug it. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Unplug it!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I doubt if you can ride 2 up without the air assist...

Spyder Garage

The compressor on our 2015 RTL is also running constantly when 2-up. Which fuse does the compressor operate from if I need to remove it ?
    The air bag itself doesn't lose pressure as I've checked that at the Schrader valve under the seat.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HayRog View Post
    The compressor on our 2015 RTL is also running constantly when 2-up. Which fuse does the compressor operate from if I need to remove it ?
    The air bag itself doesn't lose pressure as I've checked that at the Schrader valve under the seat.
    I would be willing to bet your check vakve off the compressor is sticking open just a little and the air is leaking back threw the inlet of the compressor!! Very common on this system!!! BRP's better idea's, that they could blow up, in my book!!! If you don't take care of it your compressor will burn up and shut down. I lost mine, then I just went from the bag to the Schrader, with a line and unhooked the compressor and fill my bag manually!!! You would find out in no time that this auto fill system isn't really worth the money or hassles to keep it going, one less thing to worry about!! When the pump shuts down you will be riding on that junk shock banging dead on the frame!! Not a good ride, I know that for a fact!!!! If you want to shut the compressor off just unplug it, that way your not shutting anything else that may be on that fuse!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I would be willing to bet your check valve off the compressor is sticking open just a little ........
    If you want to shut the compressor off just unplug it, that way your not shutting anything else that may be on that fuse!
    Thanks Mikey.
    So, panels off on right side to access the compressor, and there's a 2 or 3 pin plug thereabouts. ?

I figured (wrongly I guess) that the compressor had it's own dedicated fuse.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

According to the Power Distribution Diagram, the LFB R4 Suspension relay powers the compressor (and only the compressor) which is fed by the RFB R4 Load Shedding relay which is fed by RFB F5 25A. The release valve is powered by the cluster as is the position sensor. I'm pretty sure you could remove the suspension relay without triggering a fault code. I would expect that is not true for the valve or sensor.

Looks like I gotta dig into my ACS. Any body work suggestions appreciated especially photos (which I'm searching for).

Search was successful! It's a 2011 but close enough. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1454199
    Last edited by BertRemington; 08-24-2021 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Found body work video
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

do not forget to unplug the power for your release valve. It will bleed off your air bag regardless of pulling the air compressor relay.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles