Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Post Anyone experienced a VSS Fault Code & Limp Mode?

Has anyone experienced a vss fault code? and the bike goes into limp mode? if so what are the causes for this message?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by russellsprout View Post
    Has anyone experienced a vss fault code? and the bike goes into limp mode? if so what are the causes for this message?
    I've gotten 100's of VSS warnings and sometimes a computer reaction ..... after the problem ceases the fault goes away .... I've NEVER experienced the " limp mode " from a VSS issue ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

I am in the same situation right now. I’m testing the switches this afternoon. Ride the brake or keep your foot on the brake like sitting at stop light and if the vss kicks in and puts in limp mode pull the code. If it’s the same as mine it looks like the brake switch or pressure switch. I spoke with 2 different dealers and both said the same thing word for word. Only problem the second one said is the housing is a pain to take apart to get to switch that many times it gets bent or broken and everything needs replaced. I’m taking the housing out today after work and testing switches etc. Switch is $41 so CHEAPER than BEST deductible and if housing needs replaced it $17. Pressure switch is $39. #1 check your battery connections. #2 check seat connections and flipper bar. #3 get vss to appear check codes. If like mine check brake lights. Next check 5 pin connectors. Next the bolb and Last the switch. I was also told there is a click, digital sounding click when you depress your brake pedal. If you do not hear that click then there is water and crud in the switch housing. I hear no click on mine. Do you?

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...0040-and-C006C

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Yes, mine has the Vss fault code. Usually turning bike off, letting all lights go out and restarting clears the issue. The fault code is always followed by limp home mode on my bike.

Spyder Garage

I had that problem. Turned out the issue was that I had replaced some regular filament bulbs with LEDs. I changed them back and VOILA! No more problems. Mine was easier to diagnose because it happened in exactly the same spot every time! Here's the thread: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ighlight=philY

Good Luck!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Syr Spyder View Post
    Yes, mine has the Vss fault code. Usually turning bike off, letting all lights go out and restarting clears the issue. The fault code is always followed by limp home mode on my bike.
    Thanks .... Mike

Spyder Garage

The only fault+limp mode issue I have had in 10 years was due to a bad software update load at the dealer. It acted up on the way home, so I went back to the dealer. After a reload, no more issues.
    2012 Viper Red RT-S (Sold)
    2020 Ryker Rally
    2023 Plasma Red F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Angry VSS Code, Limp Mode Home, Brake Failure

I have a 2021 Can Am Spyder RT Limited and initially had brake failure. Tested brake fluid and it had water in it. Dealer repaired. A few months later now it will flip into VSS Code, Limp Mode Home and engine light comes on. Took to dealer and the replaced the VSS Module. Next time out same thing!! Now it comes up with VSS message, Limp Home, engine light and then last twice switched to Brake Failure, yellow exclamation point, and parking brake light comes on. Each time I shut off the bike, restart and away it goes. Going back to dealer today but this seems to be an issue with new bikes. I just wish they could fix as it is at dealer for up to two weeks each time.

Spyder Garage

Default Limp Mode

My Spyder went into limp mode out in the middle of nowhere! I had been experiencing my cruise control cutting out for a while before the limp mode showed up. I took it easy for a while, gradually increasing my speed. I made it home ok, thank goodness. I was about 100 miles from home. I took it to the dealership and they corrected the problem. It was a malfunctioning chip. They replaced the computer chip and all is well.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blumie55 View Post
    It was a malfunctioning chip. They replaced the computer chip and all is well.
    Which chip? More information please.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Yes. 2016 RT. Sand would get into the brake switch under the right floorboard and the brake light would not come on every time - Limp Home. I got a rubber hammer to take with me and hit it when it did it again. Just one more reason I got rid of it
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-26-2022 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display & Caps + ' 's ;-)