Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default when replacing y-gasket easier to?

take the muffler down first then the pipe or take them down as one unit?
    do i have to change both gaskets at the same time? i was afraid when i pull the pipes down, left one may get damaged even if that one is still in good shape. i gotta take this spyder to dynojet asap but honda dealer only had one available...
    thank you in advance.
    Last edited by aka1004; 04-06-2010 at 11:26 AM.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Y gaskets

Quote Originally Posted by aka1004 View Post
    take the muffler down first then the pipe or take them down as one unit?
    do i have to change both gaskets at the same time? i was afraid when i pull the pipes down, left one may get damaged even if that one is still in good shape. i gotta take this spyder to dynojet asap but honda dealer only had one available...
    thank you in advance.

If you have the stock muffler just loosen the one bolt holding it , loosen the clamps on the Y pipes [remove springs] The Y pipes will drop down.
    The muffler does NOT have to come off! Also do both gaskets, Do your self a favor use the Honda gaskets.

Spyder Garage

My $0.02 worth.

Remove the muffler... it's a lot easier to reinstall the y-pipe with the new gaskets without the 25 pounds hanging on the end of it... particularly when you're on your back on the garage floor.

Replace both upper gaskets at the same time... not that much more work and you'll save yourself another tear down in the near future.

And, I agree... the Honda GL1800 gaskets are far superior to the stock ones.

No change required.
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Agree, remove the can first. I have a hindle so it was not too much effort to slip it right off and then you have the rest of the stuff to work with. You will notice when you try to put both sids one, having the can off makes life a little eaiser, not much..tight fit I must say.

Very Happy Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

thanks guys
    honda dealer only had one so i swung by cam am dealer and picked up a spyder gasket. i will use the honda gasket on right side.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    My $0.02 worth.

Remove the muffler... it's a lot easier to reinstall the y-pipe with the new gaskets without the 25 pounds hanging on the end of it... particularly when you're on your back on the garage floor.

Replace both upper gaskets at the same time... not that much more work and you'll save yourself another tear down in the near future.

And, I agree... the Honda GL1800 gaskets are far superior to the stock ones.

No change required.
    I've also been told it's easier to place the new gasket on the male pipe and then insert into the female pipe. I'm still waiting for mine to come in--- should be later this week. Going to 'slot' the Hindle while it's off too.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Damn. I just RTVed my Hindle onto the Y-pipe good and tight. Oh well, maybe I'll ride the season out with the blown gaskets and do the dirty over winter.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by M2Wild View Post
    Damn. I just RTVed my Hindle onto the Y-pipe good and tight. Oh well, maybe I'll ride the season out with the blown gaskets and do the dirty over winter.

I don't understand, is the Hindle mounted differently than the stock can?
    I just changed my gaskets all i did was loosen the one bolt holding the can
    loosened the Y pipes then every thing just hinged down. I never took the can off!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I've also been told it's easier to place the new gasket on the male pipe and then insert into the female pipe. I'm still waiting for mine to come in--- should be later this week. Going to 'slot' the Hindle while it's off too.
    Yepper... install on the upper (the male) and then fit the lower (female). Sexy bike, this roadster thingy.
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

@#$%
    i don't know if i wanna do this again.
    i used can am's gasket on left side and that side went in smoothly but right side with honda gasket just would not go in...
    i did put male side in first.
    if i did not ask the kid that was walking by, i would not have been able to do it. even now, about 1/8" of gasket is exposed on the right side but the kid left and i am not pulling it out again.
    may be it would been easier if spyder was jacked up and i was able to slide underneath and push up on the y-pipe.

God's Country, Keystone Heights, FL "Happy Owner"
    Spyder Garage

Default Easier with the muffler off...

I've changed my three using the honda GL1800 gaskets and experienced no problems. It is easier if you have help so you can get both sides up evenly and that helps get them in the receiving side. /Ken
    Ken krb1945 "Happy Owner"
    USN DAV 100% 'er
    Proud grandfather of a former United States Marine
    1 2008 SM5 PE 548
    1 2008 SM5, 1 2009 SE5
    2008 GL1800

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by krb1945 View Post
    I've changed my three using the honda GL1800 gaskets and experienced no problems. It is easier if you have help so you can get both sides up evenly and that helps get them in the receiving side. /Ken
    Ken:

Are you saying you used the Honda gasket on the lower Y where it connects to the 90 degree pipe? The Honda gaskets I use on the upper Y are much smaller than the one required for the lower Y. To the best of my knowledge, there is no Honda replacement gasket for the lower Y. I would like to be wrong about this.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder1026 View Post
    Ken:

Are you saying you used the Honda gasket on the lower Y where it connects to the 90 degree pipe? The Honda gaskets I use on the upper Y are much smaller than the one required for the lower Y. To the best of my knowledge, there is no Honda replacement gasket for the lower Y. I would like to be wrong about this.
    See in his avitar picture .... he's got 3 Spyders ... not all three gaskets.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

God's Country, Keystone Heights, FL "Happy Owner"
    Spyder Garage

Default Negative... I need to clarify...

I have three spyders and have changed all three upper y gaskets to the GL1800 gaskets. Sorry I didn't clarify that a little better.

No I am still searching for a sub on that lower gasket. I've done some in-depth part searches before but this one gasket is by far the most in-depth I've ever done. Right now it seems that no-one and I do mean no-one makes this lower gasket except the contractor that makes them for BRP.

M2Wild... I sure do like your avitar... that skier only catches the mist. /Ken
    Ken krb1945 "Happy Owner"
    USN DAV 100% 'er
    Proud grandfather of a former United States Marine
    1 2008 SM5 PE 548
    1 2008 SM5, 1 2009 SE5
    2008 GL1800

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by krb1945 View Post
    I have three spyders and have changed all three upper y gaskets to the GL1800 gaskets. Sorry I didn't clarify that a little better.

No I am still searching for a sub on that lower gasket. I've done some in-depth part searches before but this one gasket is by far the most in-depth I've ever done. Right now it seems that no-one and I do mean no-one makes this lower gasket except the contractor that makes them for BRP.

M2Wild... I sure do like your avitar... that skier only catches the mist. /Ken
    I think the lower gasket is made from graphite. It is possible to buy similar material, but it is very messy to handle. I was thinking of getting some of this and wrapping the pipe. It was momentary insanity. I am feeling better now.