Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blackphoenix38 View Post
    easier and cheaper maybe. But the same motor we have makes 143 hp in the Aprilia RSV. I'm looking at the 1060 bore kit right now. Maybe cams too, but I think I really need to talk to someone who works on Aprilia's to really understand what I'm trying to do.
    As I understand it, the Aprilia 998 V-twins are substantially the same motor as the 998 V-twin in your Spyder (the major differences between the two are found in your gearbox, in order to give your Spyder a reverse gear instead of the Aprilia's 6th gear! ) and if there's already a 998 V-twin Rotax engine made that puts out that much power (or more! ) with substantially the same internals as those in your existing Spyder motor, then an ECU Upgrade can unleash ALL THAT POWER for you far easier than messing about with fitting big bore kits &/or cams etc in an attempt to match or marginally better that number!!

Our Spyder V-twins are significantly de-tuned at the BRP/CanAm factory, and they're also choked juuust a little by the restrictive air intake & exhaust system; so if you free up the air flow in & improve getting the exhaust out, then getting an ECU Upgrade done by someone who really knows what they're doing can give you at least that much power and probably more to boot!

Btw, did I already say that the 998 Rotax V-twins are effectively the same motor regardless of which platform they're in, Spyder or Aprilia?? So IIRC, unless you're looking for power numbers somewhere north of about 165 or so, then YOU'VE ALREADY GOT THAT MOTOR, it's just been de-tuned via BRP's ECU settings & choked by their restrictive inlet & exhaust systems! . Fix those things and you can have the power the Aprilia motor puts out, and a tad more besides! But it is your Spyder, so if you want to go throwing money around & chasing big bore kits & cams etc, go right ahead, but you'll STILL need to do an ECU Upgrade to get those bigger numbers - numbers that you could achieve with JUST the ECU Upgrade and a less restrictive air intake & exhaust system.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-13-2021 at 12:23 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!