Spyder Garage

Default Rear suspension air line to Schraeder valve - what size line & fittings?

Would like to run air line directly to air bag from Schrader valve. What size air line and fittings do I need? 2012 Spyder Ft. Thank you.

Spyder Garage

You can use existing hardware, just need to get longer air line. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

I added a 6 inch extension to the existing valve and leave it attached for easy access.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

1/4" OD air line

Spyder Garage

This is a great place to buy fitting, tubing, etc. in bulk, if you can use that many.

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...hermoplastic)#
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

1/8 npt fitting and the air line is 1/4 OD
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I believe I took the line from the bag out of the dump valve and the line from the schraeder out of the dump valve and just put a coupling in there! Pumped it up slowly, tested with soapy water! The max psi for bag is 90 lb, I use between 65-75 for the bride and me, depending on if we are traveling, then a little more!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-25-2024 at 11:47 PM.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the reply's

Spyder Garage

Air suspension not working - 2015 RTS

I recently bought this used bike and now discovered the air suspension doesn't seem to work. Grrr, I'm a little bummed.
    I have read some posts here about the problems and will have to read some more. I don't want to put a bunch more money in it, so I may look into what's involved with converting it to a manual system. I have read that some have gone that route. Are there any "how to" articles written. Hopefully with pics or even better a video?
    I'm fairly handy with tools, but not sure where to start or if this is even something I can tackle.
    Thanks all, happy to be here, just wish it wasn't with a problem already. LOL.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-18-2024 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Removed Post title - they mess with Searching! ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NoFlyZone View Post
    I recently bought this used bike and now discovered the air suspension doesn't seem to work. Grrr, I'm a little bummed.
    I have read some posts here about the problems and will have to read some more. I don't want to put a bunch more money in it, so I may look into what's involved with converting it to a manual system. I have read that some have gone that route. Are there any "how to" articles written. Hopefully with pics or even better a video?
    I'm fairly handy with tools, but not sure where to start or if this is even something I can tackle.
    Thanks all, happy to be here, just wish it wasn't with a problem already. LOL.
    Easiest thing to do is to replace the rear shock with one that is much better - Elka, M2, etc. and unplug the compressor altogether. I've done this for quite a few customers. Historically I would go with an Elka Stage 4 shock configured for the customer at hand. I'm likely going with an M2 or similar going forward. Nothing wrong with the Elkas I've used in the past - just VERY happy with the M2 setup.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    1/8 npt fitting and the air line is 1/4 OD
    Sorry if this is a dumb question... The parts diagram says the line is 4.32mm, would that be the ID? (1/4" would be about 6mm).
    Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Sorry if this is a dumb question... The parts diagram says the line is 4.32mm, would that be the ID? (1/4" would be about 6mm).
    Thanks.
    If you are in question on the correct size hose or fittings to use, just cut off a piece of your hose and take it to a good auto supply house, or a truck center, they will get you what you need. Depending how you're planning on going about it, it will not cost much. Good Luck! You will be very pleased with the outcome. Make sure you do a bubble/leak check with soapy water after you're done!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-22-2024 at 07:07 AM.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    If you are in question on the correct size hose or fittings to use, just cut off a piece of your hose and take it to a good auto supply house, or a truck center, they will get you what you need. Depending how you're planning on going about it, it will not cost much. Good Luck! You will be very pleased with the outcome. Make sure you do a bubble/leak check with soapy water after you're done!!
    Thank you. I'm going to dig into it next week and hopefully get it converted to manual.
    2015 Spyder RT-S, Black

Spyder Garage

Thank you. I'm going to dig into it next week and hopefully get it converted to manual.
    It looks like a big deal, but it REALLY isn't!!! Good luck!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Clean before you pull it apart. It's really dirty down there. Did mine years ago and no leaks. Lasts for months and only adjust when my wonderful wife rides with me.

Lew L
    Last edited by Lew L; 03-24-2024 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Double word
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I believe I took the line from the bag out of the dump valve and the line from the schraeder out of the dump valve and just put a coupling in there! Pumped it up slowly, tested with soapy water! The max psi for bag is 90 lb, I use between 65-75 for the bride and me, depending on if we are traveling, then a little more!!
    Update on my non-working auto air system. I did exactly as Mikey suggested. Before starting I had on hand some new 1/4 OD air hose and a DOT approved coupler. I put new hose from the Schrader valve to the coupler. I couldn't get to the airbag to replace that hose. I also found the core in the Schrader valve was leaking a little too. I disconnected the electric wires to the dump valve but couldn't get the connector on the compressor without removing the whole rear luggage section. Anyway, after doing this, I put in 45 psi, and it is still holding pressure. My little battery-operated bicycle pump with auto shut off worked perfectly to set the pressure.
    I haven't ridden it yet, but I will tomorrow. Can't wait as I haven't ridden it with a working airbag yet. Thanks Mikey and others who chimed in to make this a much easier job.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-25-2024 at 11:49 PM.
    2015 Spyder RT-S, Black

Spyder Garage

is it possible to use the push to connect fittings or did you use the compression type fittings?
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by davev1pa View Post
    is it possible to use the push to connect fittings or did you use the compression type fittings?
    I used push in style, DOT approved type. Here is a link to the one I bought.
    https://a.co/d/3FfEUJs
    2015 Spyder RT-S, Black

Spyder Garage

That's a great connection... now a question... mine is an RT base, so no weird compressor stuff and no dump valve nonsense... the airbag sits in the front of the shock.... how is the air hose connected to the air bag? Where was yours leaking exactly? What mechanism is used to put the hose in and hold it in place in the air bag itself. I've used push to connect fitting for my trailer many times. I see a diagram with an elbow that is the connection point between the Schrader valve and the airbag... but it's the airbag fitting itself that I'm concerned with... Thank you
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-28-2024 at 07:37 PM.
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Spyder Garage

That's a great connection... now a question... mine is an RT base, so no weird compressor stuff and no dump valve nonsense... the airbag sits in the front of the shock.... how is the air hose connected to the air bag? Where was yours leaking exactly? What mechanism is used to put the hose in and hold it in place in the air bag itself. I've used push to connect fitting for my trailer many times. I see a diagram with an elbow that is the connection point between the Schrader valve and the airbag... but it's the airbag fitting itself that I'm concerned with... Thank you
    If it's still got the OEM Plumbing, then the air-line runs straight from the Schraeder Valve & pushes into the TOP of the air bag via a push to connect fitting.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Do you have a leak? What are you trying to do? The air bag has a push fitting on it, the whole system uses that style fitting. A good batch of soapy water and a spray bottles your friend for finding a leak! And if you're trying to disconnect a fitting clean the fitting and hose really good before you try to unhook it, that way you'll be able to reuse the fitting when done.
    2012 RTL , Pearl