Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by beachbumPC View Post
    The Spyder is fast and fun around town and with lots of changes and money can be adequate on the highway. The stereo and seat are awful.
    The Tri-Glide is awesome on the highway but lots of clutching and shifting around town.

For me I would rather be riding the Harley than fixing the Spyder, I'm glad I got the Tri-Glide.
    I'm surprised you had so much trouble with the F3. That hasn't been the case for me; nothing except routine maintenance on both machines. Certainly YMMV.

One factor important to me is the relative cost. A new TriGlide is initially at least $10k higher than an RT Limited, CVO editions are $50k+ (!) but both versions seem to hold their value well. Oddly, I've also observed that quite a lot of TriGlides don't get ridden very much, as evidenced by the postings for used machines.

I have a reservation for a test ride on a TriGlide coming up on Saturday. It's a 2016 that has only 2800 miles on it. That should settle the question for me.

Thanks for your input!
    “There comes a time in the affairs of men... when we must seize the bull by the tail and face the situation.” - W.C. Fields

2019 Spyder RT Limited - Asphalt Gray/Chrome
    1991 H-D Sturgis FXDB -- #684 of 1600 Limited Edition

Gone but not forgotten:
    2014 Spyder ST SE5
    Steel Black Metallic
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Gray/Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by beachbumPC View Post
    I bought a 2015 F3 with 2000 miles on it. In the 12 months I owned it I put 7500 miles on it before selling it. Here is how the 12 months went.
    It was laser aligned when I got it.
    At 4000 miles the front rotors warped, new pads and rotors. This is rare. Most have yet to replace rotors.
    At 5000 miles the front tires bad, coudn't go over 55mph too dangerous. Replaced with car tires. OEM tires are crap - car tires are a huge improvement. Most have done this.
    At 5050 miles replaced sway bar, the wind really moves it around. A very worth while improvement that almost all do.
    At 5200 miles bad belt vibration above 70mph added a belt tensioner. At least I could do 70 safely now! Did you adjust belt per recommendations of some experts here? Factory setting is too tight. I did and I only get a faint vibe at 72 which I can ride around.
    At 8000 miles the rear tire was wore out. Replaced with a car tire. Tires are a wear item, that happens to all vehicles.
    At 9000 miles the front sprocket gave up, what a fun time replacing. Proper maintenance of the pulley prevents that, as discussed in this forum.
    Sold at 9900 miles.
    One month later bought a 2016 Harley Tri-Glide with 1600 miles. I have put 7000 miles on it so far in 7 months.
    Changed oil. To each his own. Enjoy the Tri-Glide and we'll enjoy our Spyders.

The Spyder is fast and fun around town and with lots of changes and money can be adequate on the highway. The stereo and seat are awful. The stereo's quality is not an issue with me as I have it off when riding. Seats can be modified or changed.
    The Tri-Glide is awesome on the highway but lots of clutching and shifting around town. If you are tall, you are cramped on that. I tried it and at 5-10 I was cramped.

For me I would rather be riding the Harley than fixing the Spyder, I'm glad I got the Tri-Glide.
    Your Tri-Glides time will come when it needs repairs. I ride with Harley folks, I know.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RideOn View Post
    I'm surprised you had so much trouble with the F3. That hasn't been the case for me; nothing except routine maintenance on both machines. Certainly YMMV.

One factor important to me is the relative cost. A new TriGlide is initially at least $10k higher than an RT Limited, CVO editions are $50k+ (!) but both versions seem to hold their value well. Oddly, I've also observed that quite a lot of TriGlides don't get ridden very much, as evidenced by the postings for used machines.

I have a reservation for a test ride on a TriGlide coming up on Saturday. It's a 2016 that has only 2800 miles on it. That should settle the question for me.

Thanks for your input!
    When I decided to purchase a spyder my research turned up the same info you discovered.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Your Tri-Glides time will come when it needs repairs. I ride with Harley folks, I know.
    I knew someone was going to respond to that in short order. Good job. I don't really have anything against HD's. I came off an HD to a spyder. I could have gone either way, but my wife felt safer and more comfortable and secure on the spyder. After all, it's her money too.

Spyder Garage

My two issues (and only 2) with the TriGlide was 1. the difficulty/pain of steering (I have arthritis in my shoulders), and 2. living in the West with the mountains the TriGlide was way under-powered. Keep in mind mine was a 2016 and so it only had 87hp compared to 115hp on my Spyder, plus it weight almost 250# more.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My younger brother had a HD mid size two wheeler. After a few years he traded it for a Tri-Glide. He kept that about 2 years and sold it to move to a Ford Mustang. That didn't satisfy him so after a couple of years he sold it and bought a 2020 Spyder RTL. All indications are he is now happy. He said the Tri-glide was tiring to ride as the steering was hard. The solid axle tried to keep the trike going in a straight line and the front tire skipped around corners.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I live near Island Dragway in New Jersey, they are governed by NHRA. You can take a Spyder (revers trike) for a run down the track, You can not take a HD trike (traditional trike) down the track. A traditional trike is not as stable as a revers trike, and considered a "safety hazard"

Spyder Garage

I've had two RTs (2010 and 2014) and an F3 (2018). Currently, I have a 2019 Harley TriGlide. When I'm on a Spyder there are things I miss about having a Harley. When I'm on my Harley, there are things I miss about the Spyder. Here's my perspective -

- Harleys still feel like a motorcycle, with the chrome, that rumbling engine and all the metal. Spyder engines, while zippy, don't provide that primal satisfaction. The Spyder also has a lot of plastic which may or may not be something one cares about.

- Riding a Spyder is a much more relaxed and easy activity, especially in stop-and-go traffic or on curves. The TriGlide is sometimes (a lot of times) stubborn to turn. When you're stuck in traffic you are doing a lot of clutching and shifting. The Spyder will not tire you out as much as the Harley sometimes will. The way the Spyder shifts is just so damn nice and easy.

- There are Harley dealers EVERYWHERE so you're never far from a place that can service you on a road trip.

- The Harley has a lot more options for customization. Exhaust, seats, handlebars, etc. But a lot of those options, especially the HD branded stuff, is much more expensive than it ought to be IMHO.

- BP Connect is garbage. The Harley entertainment stuff is pretty decent (not as good as Indian) and it has Apple CarPlay.

- Both options have a ton of storage for a bike. This one is kind of a toss up.

- Reversing on a Harley is embarassing. It really is. You go from the throaty growl of those twin cams to a whiny, pathetic sound that is just a bit humiliating. And God forbid you have to reverse up even a slight incline. Not good with the Harley. Obviously the Spyder is a whole different story.

- Looks. Everyone has their own personal taste on this. I like both, the same way you can equally like the way a sportscar or a pickup look.

- The adjustable windshield on the RT is awesome. I can't tell you how many windshields I've tried out on the Harleys I've had over the years (I've also had a RoadGlide and a Heritage). Since Harley only has a fixed shield, it's never perfect for all situations so you try to find the best balance that you can. I honestly don't understand why Harley hasn't stolen the idea for this feature from Can Am and Indian.

- I've noticed that it's definitely different depending on where you're riding, but in some areas of the country (California is where I noticed this the most), other cyclists won't give you the friendly wave that they'll give you on the Harley TriGlide. I've never understood why three wheels is okay when I'm on my Harley but not on the Can Am. This isn't always true though. Just depends on where you're riding or the crowd that's around.

- Some folks have mentioned the Harley being underpowered but I haven't found that to be the case. Maybe it's because I've got the newer 114 engine but I've had no issue with going up mountains on my TriGlide.

- I could probably spend a couple of grand making my Harley suspension better than it is (it's okay, not awesome) but what I have now definitely doesn't match the softer ride of the Spyder.

My problem is that there's no one bike that totally satisfies me. I like the fun of being on two wheels but then I crave the safety and stability of three. I like the legacy and cache of Harley but I love the new and modern appeal of the Spyder. Alas, I can only afford one bike at a time so I'm always chasing that perfect ride.

That's my $.02
    2011 RTS-SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RideOn View Post
    I certainly agree with you about BRP Connect. You are correct, if BRP would just adopt Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, like most if not all auto manufacturers, Connect would be miles ahead of its current state.

Thank you,
    Bob
    BRP is a boil on an otherwise fine three wheel machine. Will BRP ever divorce this 'thing', probably not.

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It’s a given, one is free to ryde whichever model, brand, etc., one wishes too. My opinion is a HD trike is more like driving a dump truck; a Spyder more like steering a sports car.
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Could not agree more Mattman. The HD has soul by the bucket loads, the Honda Goldwing is a no muss, no fuss very excellent appliance. The Triglide has similar Bucket loads of Soul, but the Spyder family is a very excellent no muss, no fuss much easier to ride and actually safer ride. I have absolutely loved my 4 new HD's in the last 10 years, 2 RK's, a EG Classic and a 114 Heritage Softail Classic. It's a sickness for sure, also have a Stable of BMW's........
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mattman View Post
    I've had two RTs (2010 and 2014) and an F3 (2018). Currently, I have a 2019 Harley TriGlide. When I'm on a Spyder there are things I miss about having a Harley. When I'm on my Harley, there are things I miss about the Spyder. Here's my perspective -

<snip>
    My problem is that there's no one bike that totally satisfies me. I like the fun of being on two wheels but then I crave the safety and stability of three. I like the legacy and cache of Harley but I love the new and modern appeal of the Spyder. Alas, I can only afford one bike at a time so I'm always chasing that perfect ride.

That's my $.02
    Mattman,

Thanks so much for a well written and considerate response. I have to say that in most ways you and I are on the same page. Granted that neither is "perfect", you must choose which compromises you are willing to accept. I think that is key.

I did get to ride a 2017 Tri-Glide, although with the 107 rather than the 114. I loved how it looks and sounds, but I was not exactly impressed by how it rode and handled. The rear suspension in particular just seems like an oxcart; it never missed a bump and transmitted that energy directly to the rider. And you are correct, the electric reverse is far inferior to the Spyder's. I was also cautioned that reverse frequently pops the circuit breaker, which requires removal of the right side panel to reset.

In the end, I elected not to buy the Tri-Glide. For one thing, the asking price of $32k for a 2017 with an M8 107 - although it had only 2050 miles and really was "as good as new" - is within $4k of the MSRP of a brand new machine. That may be a temporary market situation, as new units are hard to find, but the new model improvements - like the 114 motor - make the price for the used one seem questionable. The rear suspension roughness can likely be fixed, but that won't be cheap either.

The compromises inherent to the Spyder suit me better than the compromises inherent to the Tri-Glide. It also helps that I own the Spyder outright and have little interest in opening a new loan. I won't say I will never buy a Tri-Glide, but not at the cost of giving up my Spyder and a small fortune.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and input! It's been educational for me. I am grateful to be part of a community so willing to give of its time and experience.

Ryde safe,
    Bob
    “There comes a time in the affairs of men... when we must seize the bull by the tail and face the situation.” - W.C. Fields

2019 Spyder RT Limited - Asphalt Gray/Chrome
    1991 H-D Sturgis FXDB -- #684 of 1600 Limited Edition

Gone but not forgotten:
    2014 Spyder ST SE5
    Steel Black Metallic
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Gray/Chrome

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I went from a F3 to a HD Freewheeler because I wanted that soul and that sound. I spent nearly $1000 trying to fix the suspension. It beat me up. I do know that Kool trikes makes an IRS kit for the Freewheeler. But I bought a 2020 F3 limited instead. I miss the sound and nostalgia of the Harley, but love the ride quality, liquid cooled engine, and the technology. Even with the crappy BRP connect. I also wish BRP would cough up some money for apple or Google to have better Nav. Or have something similar to HD boom touch screen. Oh well. Then I wouldn’t have anything to complain about I guess. Oh I forgot to mention I don’t have to fill up with gas as often on the Spyder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yep, choosing to buy a spyder or an HD trike is like buying a horse or choosing a wife. Get the one with the least amount of problems you think you can live with.

Spyder Garage

One aspect not mentioned is that riding a Harley trike you are still accepted fully by the HD crowd and still considered a "real" motorcyclist. Not so much with the Spyder. Judging by the "waves" when I am out riding, I am ignored far more often on the Spyder than I ever was on the Goldwing, including by HD riders. When younger I was very dismissive of trikes of any kind, feeling that going to three wheels meant leaving your motorcycle card behind. But age and related concerns made me consider 3 wheels as a way of still riding and providing comfortable enough accommodations that my wife would be wanting to still be my passenger. I had considered just moving to a lighter bike, but the small passenger seats on most bikes was a deal killer for me. I'm very happy with my 2021 RT, but I do feel that I am moved away from truly being a motorcyclist, something that I might not have felt had I gone with a traditional trike. Maybe its because seated on a conventional trike you still get the view as if you were on a two wheeler. If that's critical for you, stick with the Tri-Glide.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

I'm sorry you feel that way vito1943. My experience has been just to opposite. I get many times more waves, thumbs up and nods on my F3L than I ever got on my Victory. I have never heard a discouraging word, even from the H-D crowd. Only approval. Maybe due to my age (85) and the gear, it indicates I am no newcomer to the world of motorcycling, and I'm not.
    Maybe riders in the NW are more friendly and accepting of riders in Illinois.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome