Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question Opinions wanted: Spyder vs HD trikes

I’ve ridden Harley-Davidsons for more than 30 years and still own one. But I now have trouble with balance and ride on 2 wheels infrequently. In 2017 I got my first Spyder, a 2014 ST, and now have a 2019 RT Limited. I’m very pleased with the Spyders, but honestly the one thing that bothers me without citing a specific cause is they are NOT Harleys. I fully realize that’s a two-edged sword.

I had an opportunity yesterday to take a Harley Freewheeler trike for a demo ride. I was disappointed in how it sat (felt cramped) and how it rode (choppy and rough). I walked away with the impression that tHe HD trike wasn’t for me. Maybe the Spyder just has me spoiled.

I have not ridden an HD TriGlide so I can’t speak to those directly, but I expect it is not too different from the Freewheeler. Both are based on the Harley touring chassis, although one is a 3 wheeled RoadKing and the other a 3 wheeled ElectraGlide.

I’m looking for opinions from those of you with experience in both camps. Which do you like better, Can-Am or HD? Can you tell me briefly why or give me a little insight on the pros and cons?

Thanks in advance for any contribution you care to make.
    Bob
    “There comes a time in the affairs of men... when we must seize the bull by the tail and face the situation.” - W.C. Fields

2019 Spyder RT Limited - Asphalt Gray/Chrome
    1991 H-D Sturgis FXDB -- #684 of 1600 Limited Edition

Gone but not forgotten:
    2014 Spyder ST SE5
    Steel Black Metallic
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Gray/Chrome

Spyder Garage

Rode Harleys for decades with the last 5 years being on a TrIGlide.

Harley has better seat and infotainment system

Everything else is better on Spyder except I miss the handbrake
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

Check out "Tilting Motor Works". A reverse trike that tilts
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Back in 09, after years of progressing " balance issues ", I began looking for an alternative to my Gold Wings. ... I tried a HD trike and a GW trike and decided it was all over for my Motorcycling days. Then a friend of mine suggested we go test ride the recent Can-Am Spyder. The GS was no touring bike, however it did have handling qualities that appealed to me. .... I was so impressed I traded my 03 Wing, that day .... Three Spyder's later, I still love my 14 RT, and it will probably last ( I'm 74 1/2 ).... It still amazes me how different the two types of Trikes are, all things considered ... I drive at 9/10ths in the twistie's and can't imagine doing anywhere near those speeds, on a conventional Trike .. JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhard View Post
    Thanks for your input. I’ve seen those but I’m not a likely customer. Nowhere near me to get one installed or serviced either.

Bob
    “There comes a time in the affairs of men... when we must seize the bull by the tail and face the situation.” - W.C. Fields

Gone but not forgotten:
    2014 Spyder ST SE5
    Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rjinaz86323 View Post
    Rode Harleys for decades with the last 5 years being on a TrIGlide.

Harley has better seat and infotainment system

Everything else is better on Spyder except I miss the handbrake
    Just curious, is the ride on the TriGlide choppy and bumpy compared to the Spyder? I agree with your assessment of the seat and dash system. Now that I’m used to the single foot brake, I don’t miss the hand brake much.

Thanks for your input,
    Bob

Gone but not forgotten:
    2014 Spyder ST SE5
    Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Back in 09, after years of progressing " balance issues ", I began looking for an alternative to my Gold Wings. ... I tried a HD trike and a GW trike and decided it was all over for my Motorcycling days. Then a friend of mine suggested we go test ride the recent Can-Am Spyder. The GS was no touring bike, however it did have handling qualities that appealed to me. .... I was so impressed I traded my 03 Wing, that day .... Three Spyder's later, I still love my 14 RT, and it will probably last ( I'm 74 1/2 ).... It still amazes me how different the two types of Trikes are, all things considered ... I drive at 9/10ths in the twistie's and can't imagine doing anywhere near those speeds, on a conventional Trike .. JMHO .... Mike
    Thanks, Mike. After the crash that affected my balance, I really liked and was grateful for the stability of the Spyder. I still am. Exploring some options out of curiosity… and likely a touch of loyalty to HD.

Bob

Gone but not forgotten:
    2014 Spyder ST SE5
    Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

I've have two Tri-Glide owners tell me they wish they bought a Spyder instead. If that doesn't speak paragraphs, nothing will.
    BTW...Ever hear one moving in reverse? Sounds like a tin can half full of pebbles being shaken. How embarrassing.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    I've have two Tri-Glide owners tell me they wish they bought a Spyder instead. If that doesn't speak paragraphs, nothing will.
    BTW...Ever hear one moving in reverse? Sounds like a tin can half full of pebbles being shaken. How embarrassing.
    Probably the result of reverse being driven by the starter instead of the drivetrain.

Certainly not a great decision by Harley’s engineers.

Thanks,
    Bob

Gone but not forgotten:
    2014 Spyder ST SE5
    Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

With the Spyder you feel the bumps more in your upper body as it is transmitted through the handlebars. On the TriGlide, with the sold axle, all the movement is transmitted through your butt. So you really notice it more, especially the passenger.

Quote Originally Posted by RideOn View Post
    Just curious, is the ride on the TriGlide choppy and bumpy compared to the Spyder? I agree with your assessment of the seat and dash system. Now that I’m used to the single foot brake, I don’t miss the hand brake much.

Thanks for your input,
    Bob
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rjinaz86323 View Post
    With the Spyder you feel the bumps more in your upper body as it is transmitted through the handlebars. On the TriGlide, with the sold axle, all the movement is transmitted through your butt. So you really notice it more, especially the passenger.
    Thanks very much, that is consistent with what I felt on the Freewheeler. Lots of “feedback” from my butt, not much from my hands. Not exactly pleasant, probably even worse on a long ride.

Gone but not forgotten:
    2014 Spyder ST SE5
    Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

There are only two shortcomings on the Spyder that keep me on my Tri-Glide. The clam shell opening on the hard bags and the BRP Connect system. If CamAm would adopt the Apple Car Play/Android Car and fix the saddlebag problem then I would replace my Try-Glide immediately. My wife has a 2016 F3 and I like it.

Spyder Garage

Last May we went to the "Run- a- Mucca" motorcycle rally in Winnemucca Nv. In the middle of Nowhere, Nv. My friend Jake organized one of the events (timed) where three wheelers went through cones forwards and backwards . There were only 4 trikes entered. I won . Lifting a front wheel whilst reversing garnered me a code, which went away with a turning of the key.

. . The harley trike came in a distance last.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rayeade View Post
    There are only two shortcomings on the Spyder that keep me on my Tri-Glide. The clam shell opening on the hard bags and the BRP Connect system. If CamAm would adopt the Apple Car Play/Android Car and fix the saddlebag problem then I would replace my Try-Glide immediately. My wife has a 2016 F3 and I like it.
    I certainly agree with you about BRP Connect. You are correct, if BRP would just adopt Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, like most if not all auto manufacturers, Connect would be miles ahead of its current state.

Thank you,
    Bob

Gone but not forgotten:
    2014 Spyder ST SE5
    Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

I’ve ridden Harley-Davidsons for more than 30 years and still own one. But I now have trouble with balance and ride on 2 wheels infrequently. In 2017 I got my first Spyder, a 2014 ST, and now have a 2019 RT Limited. I’m very pleased with the Spyders, but honestly the one thing that bothers me without citing a specific cause is they are NOT Harleys. I fully realize that’s a two-edged sword.

I had an opportunity yesterday to take a Harley Freewheeler trike for a demo ride. I was disappointed in how it sat (felt cramped) and how it rode (choppy and rough). I walked away with the impression that tHe HD trike wasn’t for me. Maybe the Spyder just has me spoiled.

I have not ridden an HD TriGlide so I can’t speak to those directly, but I expect it is not too different from the Freewheeler. Both are based on the Harley touring chassis, although one is a 3 wheeled RoadKing and the other a 3 wheeled ElectraGlide.

I’m looking for opinions from those of you with experience in both camps. Which do you like better, Can-Am or HD? Can you tell me briefly why or give me a little insight on the pros and cons?

Bob
    Sounds to me like you already know the main differences between the two. And...you have actually owned two different Spyders. I got as far as a test sit on a Tri-Glide in 2010. I did not like the ergos, when I started it up, I just did not like it, AND, the dealer wanted a $5000 premium (administrative?) fee over and above the MSRP. No deals, no trades, just take it or leave it. I left it, and the 2010 RT soon was in my possession.

In my whole career of driving motorcycles, I have never been bitten by the HD magic.

Have owned many assorted two wheelers since 1965. All rice burners, and Spyders. Have had at least three of each of all the rice burner brands. From 80cc to 2000cc in size.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 08-09-2021 at 10:31 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I’ve ridden Harley-Davidsons for more than 30 years and still own one...

Bob
    We test rode both the Harley Tri-Glide and a Spyder RTL. The two main difference we noted were:
    1. Turning versus going straight. With two wheels pushing from the rear, the Harley tracked really straight, so if most of our riding was highways then the Harley would have been our choice. However, to me that seemed to translate into more effort required for steering through the turns in the mountains. With two wheels steering in the front and the power-assisted steering, the Spyder seemed much easier to ride through the mountain turns, with the slight downside that it seemed a little 'twitchier" on the highway in a cross wind. Since most of our riding is in the mountains, the Spyder was better for us.
    2. Suspension soaking up bumps and potholes in the road. With independent front axles on the Spyder, it soaked up the bumps relatively well. The Harley with a fixed rear axle seemed to jar us more when hitting a bump or pothole.

Since I have ridden mostly Harleys, I really wanted to like the Tri-Glide better, but for us in the mountains the Spyder was the clear winner. As I mentioned before, if most of our riding was on highway trips, we would have gone with the Harley Tri-Glide.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rayeade View Post
    I'm sure glad that music plays no part in my riding. So the problems others are experiencing with Connect - or any music device for that matter - don't affect me one bit.
    As for clamshell cases, I don't see a problem. I did secure with sheet metal screws, the piece that helps to hold items in. It's now rock solid and can't move. And I always make certain they are latched well.
    I tried a trike and found many things about them I wouldn't put up with. As mentioned previously.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

A major difference between the Spyder and HD Tri-Glide is towing. The Spyder is specifically designed to tow a trailer, and BRP has a trailer hitch and trailer option. The HD Tri-Glide does not have an HD towing package that I have found mentioned. It is probably not recommended to even though it is probably done with an aftermarket setup. Warranty issues come into play with this as well. Manufacturers are doing whatever necessary to limit its liability and pay out of warranty claims. If you don't tow a trailer, no issue, if you are going to, ask the question. Just a thought. Cheers.
    "When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
    1985 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Limited Edition

Ernest

Spyder Garage

My son has an Electroglide Classic with a trike conversion kit on it. The major benefit of the conversion, other then total cost, is that it has an independent rear suspension with auto tires on it. BIG difference.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Baron14y View Post
    My son has an Electroglide Classic with a trike conversion kit on it. The major benefit of the conversion, other then total cost, is that it has an independent rear suspension with auto tires on it. BIG difference.
    A solid axle is okay on a pickup or off road (e.g. Jeep Wrangler) because of the intended use. But I agree that an IRS would be a much better choice for a trike.

Gone but not forgotten:
    2014 Spyder ST SE5
    Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhard View Post
    Over the last several years I have seen the Tilting Motor Works mentioned as an alternative to getting a trike. Undeniably it is attractive since it seems to offer the stability of three wheels and the leaning ability of two. But despite being mentioned on many, many forums, I have yet to meet anyone that actually has one. And I have read a few things which really gave me pause. One was the concern for how it works on a road with significant camber, with the writer stating that the wheels locked upright, causing the bike to be dangerously tilted to the low side of the road. Another comment was that it was very ponderous to turn at slow speed. And then there is the cost factor, making it much more costly than a normal trike conversion. I considered the Tilting Wheel solution, as well as other trike conversions for my Goldwing, but then decided to just trade in the Goldwing and get a new RT. Very happy with my decision.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

I admit I've learned some things; for example, that a Harley trike actually does have a rear suspension. The one I rode on Saturday was either a poor design or poor execution, as it felt more like a hardtail. Probably the most important bit for me was the recognition that the forces encountered by the rear wheels are fed into the seat, and therefore directly into the rider's back.

I cannot say that I have ever had my Spyder ride poorly, and I've never felt beat up by it. I do wish at times I had a different seat, although the rider backrest I added recently helps quite a lot. Many threads here to assist with that question.

You are more than welcome to continue adding to this discussion, as every reply has brought forth a different aspect to consider. But it seems evident, as I noted in my opening statement, that my Spyder has spoiled me and remains a better choice from the rider's perspective. I'm also interested to see what changes are in store with the 2022 models.

My thanks to everyone for their input.

Bob

Gone but not forgotten:
    2014 Spyder ST SE5
    Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I/we, my wife and I feel the same as dbh99. After I signed the check I realized my spyder was about $10k less than the HD, comparably. Also, the two wheels in front gave more stability and greater control during a panic stop. From there on it was down to comfort and a much safer feeling and control while on mountain roads and later at freeway speeds. The HD reverse was a major downer and the spyder had much more storage space. My friend's HD trike had to set in his garage, alone and unridden, for 6 months while he and HD battelled it in court using the "lemon law" here in mexifornia. HD finally patched up their problem and my friend settled but is still not pleased with his HD. I think I'd go postal if I couldn't ride for 6 months. Just joking of course.

Spyder Garage

As stated in my previous reply I rode Harleys for years. One big difference I forgot to mention is power. The. TriGlide is greatly underpowered. If you live in the flatland it is fine, but in the mountains it really sucks. Especially on the freeway.

Spyder Garage

I bought a 2015 F3 with 2000 miles on it. In the 12 months I owned it I put 7500 miles on it before selling it. Here is how the 12 months went.
    It was laser aligned when I got it.
    At 4000 miles the front rotors warped, new pads and rotors.
    At 5000 miles the front tires bad, coudn't go over 55mph too dangerous. Replaced with car tires.
    At 5050 miles replaced sway bar, the wind really moves it around.
    At 5200 miles bad belt vibration above 70mph added a belt tensioner. At least I could do 70 safely now!
    At 8000 miles the rear tire was wore out. Replaced with a car tire.
    At 9000 miles the front sprocket gave up, what a fun time replacing.
    Sold at 9900 miles.
    One month later bought a 2016 Harley Tri-Glide with 1600 miles. I have put 7000 miles on it so far in 7 months.
    Changed oil.

The Spyder is fast and fun around town and with lots of changes and money can be adequate on the highway. The stereo and seat are awful.
    The Tri-Glide is awesome on the highway but lots of clutching and shifting around town.

For me I would rather be riding the Harley than fixing the Spyder, I'm glad I got the Tri-Glide.