Thread: Stock pipe

Very Active Member Star Cruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Stock pipe

My pipe is badly discoloured and the black paint is peeling badly as well. There are about 5 or 6 grey/white spots along the side of the pipe. They look like they might be spot weld areas on the inside.
    Just wondering if anyone has the same issue and if it may have been covered by warranty? When it gets much worse I will probably consider a Hindle replacement. Haven't heard of any problems with them. I have 25,000km on it now. (~16,000 miles)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Mine looks just as bad. I've covered it up with hard bags. I might pick up a used one from my dealer who is going out of the business....

2022 F3 Base
    Kawa Z900 - 72k
    NInja 650 80K
    2008 SM5 - 42k

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The old muffler burn spot.....no ones talked about that for ages.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Star Cruiser View Post
    My pipe is badly discoloured and the black paint is peeling badly as well. There are about 5 or 6 grey/white spots along the side of the pipe. They look like they might be spot weld areas on the inside.
    Just wondering if anyone has the same issue and if it may have been covered by warranty? When it gets much worse I will probably consider a Hindle replacement. Haven't heard of any problems with them. I have 25,000km on it now. (~16,000 miles)

Yeah, the paint is peeling on my too. The pipe is okay though. I have just over 5,000 miles.

I might just have it repainted. I kinda like the tootsie roll that sounds like a lawn mower or sewing machine depending on the member.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The paint on mine has flaked in a couple spots near the end, I figure it'll probably get worse the more I drive it. It's almost time to put it up for the winter (another month and a half I say) so I'll wait until next year to do anything about it since I want to go after market anyway.
    Happy 2009 Roadster Red SM5 Owner
    Two Brothers Dual Exhaust w/P1X Tips | Two Brothers Juice Box | KewlMetal Intake | Amber Fender Tip Lights | Fog Lights | SilverStar Headlights | Trunk Liner | 12v Acc. Plug | BRP Comfort Seat

Spyder Garage

I don't mind aftermarket....as long as I can get a pipe that's as quiet as the stock. I am not interested in the extra noise at all!

Is there a quiet aftermarket pipe?

Loud pipes just annoy.
    Loud suits save lives
    A member of the rabble in good standing.
    A happy owner of a yellow SE-5.
    NMN Risers, Mudflap Lights, Fender Tips, Center Brake Light w/ Triple Play, Throttlemeister, Madstad Robo-brackets, Madstad windshield, CHAD windshield, Canisterectomy, Exhaust wrap.

Spyder Garage

Yes the paint was peeling on mine too. I took it into my dealer, they took a picture of it for BRP and they gave me a new one under warranty.
    Happy SM5 Owner
    Mods: Evoluzione PowerBus & air filter, sway bar, Kewl adjustable risers, highway pegs, back rack, Givi trunk & side bags, Crampbuster, Heatroller, Autocom intercom & 2 way radio, McCruise cruise control, No Magic Triple Play brake lights, fender tip & mud flap lights, Givi bag lights,
    mirror extensions, Russell Day-Long Saddle, C.H.A.D., Oxford heated grips.

Spyder Garage

Mine also flaked off in many spots. I pulled the muffler, sanded it all down, and repainted it with the DEI high temp paint. That seems to be holding up well right now but it hasn't been through a winter yet.

DEI High-Temp Silicone Coating
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Smile

Paint on my Hindle is starting to come off 16k butt then its paint on a muffler and can be repainted

Spyder Garage

Mine is flaking badly too! I am going to remove mine and sand it down and leave it a brushed aluminum look. Will probably have to fine some sort of clear coat to put on the pipe. But not sure I want to paint it back black.
    Bill
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Gulf Coast Spyder Ryders -- look for us in the Ryder Group/Club shortcut on the homepage.

New Ryders always welcome!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Sell you my stock..there no burn marks in it. PM if interested. Take about 50 bucks for it..lol.

Very Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingHeart View Post
    Yes the paint was peeling on mine too. I took it into my dealer, they took a picture of it for BRP and they gave me a new one under warranty.
    Just had my 6000 mile service done today. I wasn't going to mention the paint peeling on the muffler; but, I did. The dealer called and said my spyder was ready and they had replaced the exhaust under warranty.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddog2 View Post
    Paint on my Hindle is starting to come off 16k butt then its paint on a muffler and can be repainted
    Any chance of you having a picture of the paint coming off the Hindle? I was talking to a custom painter today, and my wife had an idea for repainting the Hindle as well. I am wondering now if it would make sense though, or if the heat is just going to make that paint come off later on as well?
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I think many of us have this issue, however I am one of those people who prefer the stock pipe and the quite ride.

Over the last 18 months it hasn't got any worse and the pipe is sound so to speak. I might as bjt has suggested take it of one fine day and repaint it with the high temp stuff. In my early years I used to enjoy a loud pipe but now I prefer it as it is, what can I say age does that to ya.