Spyder Garage

Default Wiring for Bushtec Trailers

Hi All,

I need a wiring expert!
    I recently purchased a '93 Bushtec Turbo 2 Trailer to tow with my 2016 RT Limited. I'm a little confused about wiring.
    Bushtec uses a straight 6-pin connector with separate brake and turn signal wiring. Newer Can Am Trailers use 4-pin connectors, so those towing a Freedom Trailer have to install a convertor that allows them to power their trailer. My 2016 RT Limited has a 6-pin connector for (1) Ground - white, (2) Tail lights - brown, (3) Left Turn - yellow, (4) Brake lights - red, (5) Right turn - green, and (6) a wire that goes straight to the battery. Currently, there is a converter that has wiring out of it for a 4-pin trailer.
    My question: Do I need a converter, or can I wire directly to a 6-pin connector that connects to the trailer?

Thanks,
    John
    All the best,
    John

2022 RT Limited

• Garmin XT (I would be lost without it)
      Driving Lights (Very bright to improve my sight)
      Floorboard Lights and Turn Signals (I like to be seen)
      Passenger Armrests (So my wife doesn't fall off)
      Trailer Hitch (So we can bring more stuff with us)
      Chrome Wheels (Because the beautiful stock wheels just weren't good enough)
      Front Fender Sequential Reflector Lights (I was wondering what to do with my paycheck)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JCWeatherman View Post
    Hi All,

I need a wiring expert!
    I recently purchased a '93 Bushtec Turbo 2 Trailer to tow with my 2016 RT Limited. I'm a little confused about wiring.
    Bushtec uses a straight 6-pin connector with separate brake and turn signal wiring. Newer Can Am Trailers use 4-pin connectors, so those towing a Freedom Trailer have to install a convertor that allows them to power their trailer. My 2016 RT Limited has a 6-pin connector for (1) Ground - white, (2) Tail lights - brown, (3) Left Turn - yellow, (4) Brake lights - red, (5) Right turn - green, and (6) a wire that goes straight to the battery. Currently, there is a converter that has wiring out of it for a 4-pin trailer.
    My question: Do I need a converter, or can I wire directly to a 6-pin connector that connects to the trailer?

Thanks,
    John
    So, now that I've done some more research, I need to ask: Should I (or, do I have to) use an isolator?
    If so, is there one that will give me a 5 or 6 wire output?
    All the best,
    John

2022 RT Limited

Front Fender Sequential Reflector Lights (I was wondering what to do with my paycheck)

Spyder Garage

I just did my install using this for my 5 wire bushtec harness . It’s very simple install , Should take you about an hour. Hardest part for me (being colorblind) and having to match up the bushtec color wires to the show chrome wires (browns and tans and greens all look the same to me lol ) other than that very straightforward and works great. The harness below is specific for a five wire.

Show Chrome Accessories 41-162 Trailer Wire Harness https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KYFGTFG...ing=UTF8&psc=1 .
    Back amongst the living May 2021
    2022 RT Limited Hyper Silver

Out to Pasture:
    2013 ST Limited , Black Currant
    2022 F3L , Dark Edition
    2021 RTL , Chalk Chrome
    2013 RT Limited , Circuit Yellow Metallic
    2008 GS SM5 , Millenium Yellow
    2020 RT Limited Petrol Dark
    2014 RT Limited Champagne Black
    2012 RT Limited White
    2010 Timeless Black RTS SM5
    2010 Orbital Blue RTS SM5
    2008 GS SM5 PE 1941
    2008 GS SM5 PE2011

Spyder Garage

I would contact Bushtec direct. https://bushtec.com/ They're in Tennessee and very helpful.

FYI, They also make a plug n play wiring harness for the Spyder. Although, they're out of stock right now.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

For what it’s worth the basic isolator part that bushtec uses is the same plug and play item that showchrome uses in the link that I supplied. No need to re-engineer the wheel here …. very straightforward install specifically designed for the bushtec or other 5 wire system.

Out to Pasture:
    2022 F3L , Dark Edition
    2021 RTL , Chalk Chrome
    2012 RT Limited White
    2010 Orbital Blue RTS SM5
    2008 GS SM5 PE 1941
    2008 GS SM5 PE2011

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by widowmaker2011 View Post
    For what it’s worth the basic isolator part that bushtec uses is the same plug and play item that showchrome uses in the link that I supplied. No need to re-engineer the wheel here …. very straightforward install specifically designed for the bushtec or other 5 wire system.
    Thanks, but I'm still confused. When I look under the seat of my 2016 RTL, I see the module that is currently installed for the 4-pin trailer that I used to have. it is the standard Hopkins converter that takes the 6 wires that Can Am supplies and outputs 4 wires for the trailer. The connector that feeds the 6 wires from the Spyder doesn't match any of the connectors on the Show Chrome harness, so is that what I really need? Also, when I look at the picture of the Show Chrome harness, I don't see an isolation module, I do, however, see a fuse, but that's all.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I'm wondering if I need an Isolation module like this Rivco product.

Any thoughts?
    All the best,
    John

2022 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

No worries , good questions. The picture is a generic picture and not the actual harness. Hopefully this should put your mind at ease : Here a link to the installation video from the manufacturer . It indeed does come with its own isolation control box . This is literally the 5th install of this kit I have done on RT’s as I have had my bushtec trailer since 2009 and as you see from my signature , I have a Spyder problem lol. Anyways here is the link - https://youtu.be/Qt0A_44oo4I

Out to Pasture:
    2022 F3L , Dark Edition
    2021 RTL , Chalk Chrome
    2012 RT Limited White